Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't laugh but...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I'm in a financial bind... and need to replace front shocks. I'm thinking I can get a local flaps/shop to install whatever I can get... and I don't want to invest on high end shocks as I hope to go to a 5 lug set up at some point.

degreeoff
they'll do the job...I had em for a couple years. Sure thats ur issue?
Allan
Have you considered Boge's? I had them on my /4 and they worked pretty well.

Not too spendy either.

What are you planning to do with the car? DD, DE, A/X?
Rusty
No reason to laugh about that.

Boges aren't bad shocks... and you might want to put a WTB in the classifieds. Someone might have a set of take-off shocks that you could run for a year or so.

P.S. If you can jack up your car and change a tire, you can replace your own shock inserts. Borrow the tools if you have to, but it's too easy to pay someone to do it.
Spoke
Have KYB's in the front of the red 71. They work and don't break the bank.
type47
i put them in for the same CSOB reason
rick 918-S
I've used KYB's on several BMW's The sport gas ones are good. Don't get the old standard oil filled ones. BTW: I wen mine failed the store replaced them and allowed me to pay the difference for the sports.
tracks914
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this project car I 'm working on but for now I put KYB's all the way around. I haven't driven it yet (or will for about a year) but for under $200 they are all new and better than the worn out shocks I took off.
rhodyguy
going to konis, bils, even NEW stock units is an exspensive prop for the budget challenged. the KYBs are 1000% better than old worn units. you don't need to spend your money farming out the all labor. the fronts can be done in about a 'no rush hour'. much less time the 2nd go round. for the rears, take the assems off, go to your local co that does shock/strut replacement, have them compress the springs in their fixture to loosen the top retaining nut, or plan on using the scary (to me)spring compressors. they should charge a minimal fee for this task. if you have your new rears, have them squeeze the springs on the new ones and put the nut on. quick, no pain, and again, they should charge very little for this minor service. if they quote you a lot of money to do this, keep calling around. it should take them 10 minutes, tops.

k
Carlitos Way
Are these the right ones for a 914?
Twystd1
NO.

C
Twystd1
HHHmmm I found the KYB inserts on a web site for about 45 bucks. is that what you are seeing?
Twystd1
What year is your car? There are different inserts for different year 914 front ends. Early VS Late.
And some have front ends have been mixed and matched over the years.

C
purple
i have a lightly used pair i'll give you for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Purple
rhodyguy
that certainly sounds priced right. i always wonder what "slightly used" means. that site link provided was terrible and EXSPENSIVE. if you want brand new you can find them for cheaper. only difs i've noted on the fronts were for either 6s or 4s.

k
Twystd1
Differences are early VS late front ends. They make KYBs for both.

C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.