Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone get tired of always HAVING to work on a car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So last week I changed the oil and put a used transmission in my Mercedes. My wife killed reverse dry.gif . Then in my BMW I had to put a new cooling fan clutch and new thermostat in. I then had fun pulling apart three 901 transmissions to get ready to build two boxes for the track this year piratenanner.gif . Two days ago I did rear brakes for my friend. Yesterday I wanted to get building on the 901 but had to put new struts in my friends 944 WTF.gif . Today I am doing new brakes and rotors on my Mercedes. Back when I worked at a garage I was use to this, but now this is getting to be too much. I love working on 914's, but all the other cars are a distraction from working on the fun ones sad.gif
736conver
I actually enjoy doing all the stuff. Maybe im a freak or something. The wife couldt get the elantra started the other day and I could wait to get home and start to work on it.

I love working on cars/mechanical things.
PeeGreen 914
Don't get me wrong. I like to work on cars, but as of late it seems like I am working on a car every day. I love working on 914s as they are simple and fun. Other cars it really depends on what I have to do to them. Like doing an alternator on a 94 Acura Integra Type R is not fun at all..... unless you have small hands biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
I don't have enough time to work on my own projects...the westy's tranny is still in pieces awaiting a shifter forks adjustment jig to arrive. The 914 runs great but the battery is slowly bleeding down...agh!

Forget working on other friends cars chair.gif
PeeGreen 914
So do you need a battery? I have a gel cell I was going to put in my car, but I decided I am going to put in a light weight battery. If you want I will sell you the gel cell, Optima, for $50 or just give you the interstate that is in there now.
anthony
I hate working on daily drivers. One of my first cars was a '77 BMW 320i. It was something on that car every other month at least. It was always something minor but it still meant a Saturday or Sunday sucked up in order to keep it on the road and get me to work on Monday. Finally, I had enough and bought a new VW Jetta in '94. That car has been wonderfully reliable and I've kept it way longer than I ever thought but at 175K miles it's started to get needy. This summer it was the heater core, then a shifter bushing, and now a front wheel bearing and it needs brake pads. It's time to move on. I think I'm going to buy a new WRX to replace it.
Joe Bob
My two alternate daily drivers are bullet proof....my 911 cab and the rain/cold day car the GMC Denali.....once you have a reliable ride the fixers get fun again.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 3 2008, 11:25 AM) *

So do you need a battery? I have a gel cell I was going to put in my car, but I decided I am going to put in a light weight battery. If you want I will sell you the gel cell, Optima, for $50 or just give you the interstate that is in there now.

sold!
Chevota79
I know how you feel i am a mechanic for the state and by the time i get home i am so burnt out on fixing cars i dont even feel like working on mine and then to top it all off i usually get the friend call saying something is wrong on thier car.

Just deal with it thats what i do

Josh
sww914
Yes. I bought a new WRX and a newer truck because I was sick of working on customer's cars all day, my racecar at night, and our daily drivers on the weekends. I had planned to quit racing but my wife insisted that we replace the old crap DD's and keep the racecar.
Gint
You just need more cars. That way if 3 are down waiting for decent weather, time, etc... you've got something else. I find 6 is a nice round number of cars to have available. laugh.gif
J P Stein
At one time I had the shitbox & a 73 911. I was spending ALL my free time/money working on cars......enuff. The 9eleben was worth more & I had less in it....SOLD.
Now I just spend most of my free time........ sad.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 3 2008, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 3 2008, 11:25 AM) *

sold!

Just let me know when you would like to pick it up.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(356 @ Feb 3 2008, 11:55 AM) *

My two alternate daily drivers are bullet proof....my 911 cab and the rain/cold day car the GMC Denali.....once you have a reliable ride the fixers get fun again.

My BMW is a 98 528i and my Mercedes is a 93 190E. Both are reliable and good drivers, but you always have something you can do to a car.... detailing, oil change, modifications.... So really it is just a matter of pacing yourself. I have been a real estate agent for the past five years, and since I don't work at the shop anymore I guess I don;t have to work on cars all the time. Just sometimes you get caught doing a lot of things for your friends and it feels like all you're doing.
tracks914
Who in their right mind would buy a 914 if they didn't like working on cars. Unless you are rich, (and would probably be driving a Boxster) I thought that was part of the charm of these cars.

That being said I love working on my teener but hate working on all the relatives/ friends cars. I have an 07 Camry and 04 F150 so I don't have to work on them. ( the Airbag light just came on in the F150, that one could be expensive) No Airbag on the teener!!!
McMark
Sounds like you're not charging your friends enough $. cool.gif

Also, make sure to 'charge' your wife $ for repairs. While she wouldn't pay in cash, that could be money that you get to buy whatever you want on. Save up for the HDTV you've been wanting, or whatever else.
914Sixer
914's should be considered to be TOYS unless you plan on rebuilding them from top to bottom. The other option is to find a rare, low mileage garage queen. Either way it is going to be a learning experience. I prefer the hands on approach.
jd74914
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Feb 3 2008, 05:25 PM) *

That being said I love working on my teener but hate working on all the relatives/ friends cars. I have an 07 Camry and 04 F150 so I don't have to work on them. ( the Airbag light just came on in the F150, that one could be expensive) No Airbag on the teener!!!

If its the airbag in the steering wheel thats not too hard a fix . . . its just a PITA. BTDT smile.gif

My Dad and I do all of the work on our cars, but never work on friends/relatives cars for the very reason that people just keep coming back for more help and neither of us have the time. Plus, if anything was ever to break everyone knows who would get blamed. huh.gif
dflesburg
This topic is why I got rid of my 2003 Cobra Convertable and my 2001 F150 and got an 07 Tundra for a daily driver...

Although I have changed oil three times so far.
John
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 3 2008, 03:56 PM) *

Also, make sure to 'charge' your wife $ for repairs. While she wouldn't pay in cash, that could be money that you get to buy whatever you want on. Save up for the HDTV you've been wanting, or whatever else.

You're not married are you? My wife would be seriously PISSED if I tried that shit. (she'd probably kill me in my sleep)

It's OPC (Other Peoples Cars) that I hate to work on. I'm getting to the point where if I don't drive it or my kid's don't ride in it, I'm not fixing it. Perhaps I'm just getting old and cranky.
Pat Garvey
I no longer work on the daily drivers. Have no interest because they bore me to death & are too complex & don't have to electronics to do so. For the most part, they are failsafe.

Won't let anyone touch the 914, though I'm starting to waffle on valve adjustment. The 911T ONLY gets my hands on it, though I'll probably change from that perspective because my back doesn't allow me the flexibility to do the things I used to. Still, these are simple cars & can be taken care of easily, and on my schedule. Never in a hurry because they are warm weather cars only.

As Clint Eastwood once said "...a man should always know his limitations". Mine end with cars from the 70's.
Pat

SLITS
Taken on to many projects plus the maintenece of others' cars has resulted in burn out. Had to stop for a while and just stare .... thinking of how nice it would be to just maintain one car.

If the projects turn out good, I'll forget I ever said this.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 3 2008, 03:56 PM) *

Sounds like you're not charging your friends enough $. cool.gif

I rarely charge my friends. I kinda try to help them out as many of them can't afford much. Others that can I just make them buy me dinner or something. I really do enjoy working on cars, but sometimes it just gets to be too much. Plus, my business has been keeping running around way too much.

Oh, my wife pays for this biggrin.gif In the best way I know how av-943.gif
rebelmdot
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 3 2008, 02:26 PM) *

You just need more cars. That way if 3 are down waiting for decent weather, time, etc... you've got something else. I find 6 is a nice round number of cars to have available. laugh.gif

av-943.gif

I absolutely laughed my ass off at that comment, and then when I started counting, and realized that I do have 6 cars and a motorcycle. Now I am on the floor laughing my ass off!!
Joe Ricard
Got reliable enough DD's
914 would be reliable if it wasn't such a progression of madness running full speed down the slippery slope.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.