Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So Cal Connections
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NineOneFour
New guy here. I just purchased a 914 that needs the engine rebuilt. No stranger to the business end of a wrench, I'm going to do it myself, but I'd like to find good local shops for parts and machining here in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley?)

Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Rodger
QUOTE(NineOneFour @ Feb 3 2008, 05:42 PM) *

New guy here. I just purchased a 914 that needs the engine rebuilt. No stranger to the business end of a wrench, I'm going to do it myself, but I'd like to find good local shops for parts and machining here in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley?)

Thanks,
Rodger

welcome.png welcome. id like to help but im a little north of u in bako. ca. but good for advise and expertise.
steven
Aaron Cox
4 or six?

Plenty of shops around.... few who do type 4's or sixes right.

On the type IV side of things...
RIMCO in santa ana,
Costa Mesa R/D machine (John Edwards of Sand Sports magazine fame)

Sixes....
Costa Mesa RD
TRE
Supertec....

lots of others im forgetting
NineOneFour
QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 3 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Thanks,
Rodger

welcome.png welcome. id like to help but im a little north of u in bako. ca. but good for advise and expertise.
steven

Thanks Steven. Bako=Bakersfield?
NineOneFour
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 3 2008, 06:00 PM) *

4 or six?

Plenty of shops around.... few who do type 4's or sixes right.

On the type IV side of things...
RIMCO in santa ana,
Costa Mesa R/D machine (John Edwards of Sand Sports magazine fame)

Sixes....
Costa Mesa RD
TRE
Supertec....

lots of others im forgetting

Hey Aaron,

It's a 2056 type IV.

Thanks for the help,
Rodger
QUOTE(NineOneFour @ Feb 3 2008, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 3 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Thanks,
Rodger

steven

Thanks Steven. Bako=Bakersfield?

yea bakersfield.thats how some of these stupid hillbillies around here call it. but yea Bakersfield is were im from. i want to move but cant.
steven
Twystd1
Welcome to the nut house. Where you get to live your car addiction and get intimate with your 2 new friend "RUST and JACK STANDS".

Down South in Orange County there are more 914s than anyplace in the world according to my 8 year old niece. So take that ya bastids.

You will have to make it to one our gatherings. It's a hoot.

And there is more technical data here than you can imagine.

So What do ya want to do with your 2056...???????????

Clayton
NineOneFour
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 3 2008, 10:02 PM) *

Welcome to the nut house. Where you get to live your car addiction and get intimate with your 2 new friend "RUST and JACK STANDS".

Down South in Orange County there are more 914s than anyplace in the world according to my 8 year old niece. So take that ya bastids.

You will have to make it to one our gatherings. It's a hoot.

And there is more technical data here than you can imagine.

So What do ya want to do with your 2056...???????????

Clayton

Hey Clayton,

Well, I'm not sure yet. I've owned it for 5 days now and it ran for 3 of them... LOL My son took it to show his Mom, went to fill it up and when he restarted it he blipped the throttle and it died. He thought it was the fuel pump switch at first, but it was on. Starter wouldn't budge the engine, and it just locks the wheels when he tried to bump start it. It's coming back on a flatbed tomorrow, so I won't know what's what until I drop the motor. When these motors freeze up is there any typical that they do?

What I do know is that the car was on the track more than the street. It's got Webber 44's and it wasn't a happy motor unless it was at full song. I need to make it a little more street friendly.

Any suggestions?

Rodger

Ps. So what's happening in the OC? It'd be great to hang out with fellow 914ers
porsche914gt
Talk to Rick at Conemac for the parts and machining and answers to all your questions. Good guy.
Conemac Precision Machining
7638 Deering Avenue
Canoga Park, CA 91304
Phone: (818)340-5855
Twystd1
Rodger,

The SoCal folks have gatherings throughout the year. Just keep watching the threads. You are hereby invited to any gig we are having. And ya don't need to bring the Teener if it isn't working.

The OC And LA Teeners are very tight. (We make the Bakersfield guys Like Allan "Headrage" pay big bucks to hang out with us)

And we BBQ whenever the weather or the philanthropic need is deserved.

If'n ya need help pulling your engine. Just throw a BBQ and ask for help. You just might be amazed at the outcome.

If you are EVER down in the Newport Beach area. Just post it up you are coming and we will all go out to Hooters or something and make a meal of it. (And no you don't have to buy)

This is a family. NOT just a website. And yea it's kinda incestuous. And I like it that way....... LOL......

NOTE:
Your apparently STUCK engine may well NOT be the engine. Might be tranny. stuck starter on flywheel. etc...

Let us know what you find. And ask questions before starting anything.
You MUST have a manual if ya want to work on this car. PERIOD.

Then we can help you with the minutia.

Cheers,

Clayton
NineOneFour
QUOTE(porsche914gt @ Feb 3 2008, 10:50 PM) *

Talk to Rick at Conemac for the parts and machining and answers to all your questions. Good guy.
Conemac Precision Machining
7638 Deering Avenue
Canoga Park, CA 91304
Phone: (818)340-5855

Thanks GT, It doesn't get much closer to home than that!
7TPorsh
welcome.png
Welcome neighbor!
SLITS
Well, try pulling the sparkplugs and then turn it over .... just a wild ass guess that a cylinder could be hydrolocked with fuel. Disconnect + lead to coil first to avoid fire.

Other than that ... bummer.
Heeltoe914
If you are still looking for a great shop that wont brake the bank call me 818 266 7774
Allan
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 3 2008, 10:58 PM) *

(We make the Bakersfield guys Like Allan "Headrage" pay big bucks to hang out with us)

bye1.gif
brer
if you know of any shops, garages or parts houses in Southern California that are sympathetic the 914's and type 4 please email the information to me so I can add it to a list I'm compiling.

beerchug.gif
NineOneFour
QUOTE(Headrage @ Feb 5 2008, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 3 2008, 10:58 PM) *

(We make the Bakersfield guys Like Allan "Headrage" pay big bucks to hang out with us)

bye1.gif

Hey Allen! beerchug.gif
Twystd1
Allan,

Invoice is in the mail......

Twystd1
Lou W
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 5 2008, 05:59 PM) *

Allan,

Invoice is in the mail......

Twystd1

Don't they use camels to deliver the mail in Istanbul? biggrin.gif

Oh BTW, Welcome Rodger smile.gif
Gint

welcome.png

Let's see some pics!
KaptKaos
welcome.png
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

There, a proper welcome.

I am by LAX Rodger. Feel free to PM me and I'll help where I can.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.