Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The green wire with the black stripe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
Shouldn't it corrospond with the green wire with the black stripe on the wire harness that plugs in to the back of the relay board.

Also, isn't it for an oil pressure gauge.

My car did not come with a center console so this wire was taped sto the wire harness at the connection in the engine bay

Thank's, Keith
SirAndy
QUOTE(toon1 @ Feb 3 2008, 09:59 PM) *

Shouldn't it corrospond with the green wire with the black stripe on the wire harness that plugs in to the back of the relay board.

Also, isn't it for an oil pressure gauge.

My car did not come with a center console so this wire was taped sto the wire harness at the connection in the engine bay

nope, green/black is "oil temp", not pressure. the green/black wire exits the main harness under the battery tray.

the oil pressure wire is green/red ...
bye1.gif Andy
toon1
thank's Andy,

Does the green/red wire corrospond to any of the wires under the center console.

I know it's going to the warning light on the dash. I am looking for a source for my dakota digi. gauge.

Keith
SirAndy
QUOTE(toon1 @ Feb 4 2008, 07:44 AM) *

Does the green/red wire corrospond to any of the wires under the center console.

I know it's going to the warning light on the dash. I am looking for a source for my dakota digi. gauge.

nope, that's for the idiot light only. it's a on/off switch, not suitable for a gauge ...

you'll need a dual sending unit for the pressure which has two posts, one for the idiot light and one for the gauge.

you'll have to run an additional wire to the console for the gauge ...
bye1.gif Andy
toon1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 4 2008, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Feb 4 2008, 07:44 AM) *

nope, that's for the idiot light only. it's a on/off switch, not suitable for a gauge ...

you'll need a dual sending unit for the pressure which has two posts, one for the idiot light and one for the gauge.

you'll have to run an additional wire to the console for the gauge ...
bye1.gif Andy

The Dakota digi. gauge only needs one wire for the readout. I think I will tap into the green/black wire on the main harness, since it already goes to the console.

Does the green /red wire still need to be connected for any reason?

What is the green/ black wire that's taped to the harness that plugs to the back of the relay board?

Keith

Grngoat
Like Andy says, the green-red wire is intended for the oil pressure idiot light. But you have custom gauges apparently. It goes from the oil pressure sending unit, to the relay board pin #1 (engine side), out the relay board pin #5 (body side) and up the center of the car to the gauge cluster. So as long as you connect it to the appropriate sending unit (the stock one probably won't work) it should work fine. You'll lose the idiot light function this way, but maybe your gauges don't have that anyways. I don't know. You'll have to figure that part out.

I don't know what the green-black wire is. That is the standard color for 911 oil temp guages, but 914-4s don't have them, or that wire as far a I know. I had to add one for my 6 conversion, along with a pressure wire. Your setup is going to be custom it sounds like.

Hopefully, you have a copy of the 914 wiring diagram. Porsche manual, Haynes manual, electronic copy, whatever. Study it for a bit. It's not that hard to figure out, these cars a simple!
orange914
QUOTE(Grngoat @ Feb 4 2008, 11:47 PM) *

I don't know what the green-black wire is. That is the standard color for 911 oil temp guages, but 914-4s don't have them, or that wire as far a I know. I had to add one for my 6 conversion, along with a pressure wire. Your setup is going to be custom it sounds like.

Hopefully, you have a copy of the 914 wiring diagram. Porsche manual, Haynes manual, electronic copy, whatever. Study it for a bit. It's not that hard to figure out, these cars a simple!

keith

from what i've found out some have the green-black wire (for oil temp.) and some didn't. i'm adding the "taco plate" oil temp. and my non factory 73 had the wire... for what thayts worth.

mike
toon1
thank's Guy's, I am going to tap into the main harness to get the green/black wire for the O.P.

Also for the tach signal.

This will incorperate all the wires to 1 harness. Since I am running the EDIS system, driving the coil from the ECU, I do not need the second harness from the R/b EXCEPT for the starter and back up light switch.

That should clean up the engine bay a bit biggrin.gif
orange914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Feb 5 2008, 03:04 PM) *

thank's Guy's, I am going to tap into the main harness to get the green/black wire for the O.P.

Also for the tach signal.

This will incorperate all the wires to 1 harness. Since I am running the EDIS system, driving the coil from the ECU, I do not need the second harness from the R/b EXCEPT for the starter and back up light switch.

That should clean up the engine bay a bit biggrin.gif

are you using the dummy light wire also? hows the car coming how far from completion?

mike
toon1
NO idiot light, I will have a Oil pressure gauge and a CHT gauge. that will cover it good enough.

The wire harness is the hold up right now.

IF things go well, I should have the car RUNNING the w/e of the 18th.

The engine is together with all the exaust and the heat tubes on. The engine bay is ready, just need to tap into the main harness to get the O.P. gauge wire and the tach wire.

The new code is loaded on the ECU for spark controll. The only thing I am hesitant about is the fuel fittings. I am not crazy abou the way I have them now( they will probably work) so I think I may go with all -6AN fittings IF money allows.

Also, the tranny is done and ready. I installed a new 2nd and 3rd dog tooth and a couple of syncro's.

SOOOOO! if the planets align, it will happen.

How is your build going Mike??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.