Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 CV bolt to 71 911 stub axle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wes V
Without worring about axles or attaching to the transmission, the question is;

If I install 71 911 hubs and stub axles on my 914, can I bolt the 944 CV unit to the stub axle?

Wes
Cap'n Krusty
Have you bothered to MEASURE the stubs and the CV joint? There are TWO different diameter CV joints (as well as stubs/flanges) for 1971 911s. Without actually measuring them, it'd be difficult to say whether either one is the same diameter and bolt pattern as those of a 944. Furthermore, when you get to the inner end, you have to worry about finding a VW CV joint that'll fit on a Porsche axle. Porsche CVs that bolt directly to 914 flanges effectively don't exist anymore. The Cap'n
SirAndy
do a search here, this has been discussed several times with pictures and all. there are certain combinations of parts that will fit ...

i'm currently running modified 914/4 axles with 944 CVs and 911 output flanges and 911 stub axles, giving me real 5-lug rear suspension.

top, stock 914/4 axles
bottom, modified axles with 944 CVs

IPB Image

bye1.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif I think I want to do that biggrin.gif
Wes V
Wow, I didn't expect to have "do a search" thrown at me that fast!

I did search and a lot of reading of what I found.

I can't measure them due to the fact that I don't have them.

What I'm wondering is if the hubs and stub axles in the following ad will work with the 944 CV's.

914world ad

I'm trying to avoid talking about the CV at the transmission due to my planing on using a Passat transmission.

Wes
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Wes V @ Feb 4 2008, 09:42 PM) *

Wow, I didn't expect to have "do a search" thrown at me that fast!

I did search and a lot of reading of what I found.

I can't measure them due to the fact that I don't have them.

What I'm wondering is if the hubs and stub axles in the following ad will work with the 944 CV's.

914world ad

I'm trying to avoid talking about the CV at the transmission due to my planing on using a Passat transmission.

Wes

The hubs will work. The stub axles will not. You will need 944 stub axles, and get either a spacer, or cut down the hubs in a lathe to remove the same amount of material as the shoulder on the 944 stub axle.

Gary
Wes,

Any reason not to use the 911 CV and axle on the outboard end? Inboard end will be custom anyway...

I'm using 911 all the way to my 914 tranny - 72 stub, hub, CV, axle, CV, then coarse spline sportomatic flange.

G
Wes V
SirAndy;

Can you please confirm that what you are using is;

1. 69-73 911 5 bolt hub.

2. 75-84 911 6-bolt stub axle (model specific?)

3. 944 CV.

Am I correct that you are using the modified 914/4 axles due to being the closest to the needed lenght and that the modification is only length related?

Wes
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2008, 05:37 AM) *

The hubs will work. The stub axles will not. You will need 944 stub axles

say what? confused24.gif

i'm using 911 stub axles. they bolt right onto the 944 CV and fit into the 914 wheel bearing without any spacers ...
bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wes V @ Feb 5 2008, 09:42 AM) *

Am I correct that you are using the modified 914/4 axles due to being the closest to the needed lenght and that the modification is only length related?

Correct. the 914/4 axles shaft is (obviously) the right length, so all i did was machine it to accept the 944 CV (which is wider than a stock 914 CV).

here is what i used, tranny to wheel:

915 (911, '75 - '79) coarse spline 6-bolt 100mm outputshafts ->
944 100mm CV ->
modified 914 axle shaft ->
944 100mm CV ->
911 ('75 - '79) 6-bolt 100mm stub axle ->
911 ('69 - '73?) hub
= real 5-lug!

read more here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=59486

piratenanner.gif Andy

PS: it's been on my car for a while now and so far they're holding up very well despite the 3.6L abuse ...
John
I ran into a similar situation with early 911 stub axles. Some of the early stub axles used a larger CV joint. I believe that there were 100mm and 110 mm (110 being the larger one).

The 911 CV joints (1973-1984) are the smaller version (like the 944 ones).

One difference between the 944 and 911 CV joints is the internal splines. Some 944 CV joints can fit the splines on 914-4 axle shafts (the shafts must be turned down to allow the wider CV joint splines). The 911 CV joints have the same splines as the 914-6 axle shafts (the axle shafts must be turned down to allow the wider CV joint splines).

In either of these cases, the trans output flange and the stub axle must match the CV joint that you want to use regardless of which ones you end up using.

I prefer the 914-6 axles and the 911 CV joints.

If you really want to do this, the real easy thing to do would be to buy later 911 axles since the stub is part of the outer CV joint. You will still have to adapt the inner CV joint to whatever trans flange you end up with.

While all these parts are available, some are more difficult to obtain. (the coarse splined trans output flanges come to mind)

Good luck with your project.

P.S. :

I'm using 1973 911 rear hubs, 911 (73-84) CV joints, 914-6 axle shafts (turned on both ends) and coarse splined 915 trans output flanges (year unknown) on my 901 transmission.
Wes V
I get the impression that to be able to bolt the 944 CV to the 911 stub axle, the stub axle has to be from a 75 to 89. My question on "model specific" has to deal with if it's an SC or not (or if there is any difference during those years)

I believe that the earlier stub axle has a different bolt spacing for the CV.

Wes
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wes V @ Feb 5 2008, 10:23 AM) *

My question on "model specific" has to deal with if it's an SC or not (or if there is any difference during those years)

i'm not sure if it was model specific or across the board, but there certainly were different types of CVs over the years.

i actually took a old 100mm 944CV and went to EASY (salvage yard) and looked for 911 stub axles and output flanges that matched the size and bolt pattern ...

that's how i came up with the year range that i posted above.

as long as the stub axle and output flanges are 100mm 6 bolt, they should work just fine.
the hub has to be from a early 911 to fit the 914 wheel bearing and you need to make sure the stub axle has the same spline as the hub ...
oh, and the output flange has to be coarse spline!

i should have written down the part numbers ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Wes V
Thanks to all, but one last (dumb ass) question;

When refering to 100mm, is this the bolt circle diameter, measured from the center of one bolt, to the center of the bolt directly across from it?

Wes
Cap'n Krusty
No. It's the OD of the CV joint. The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 5 2008, 12:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2008, 05:37 AM) *

The hubs will work. The stub axles will not. You will need 944 stub axles

say what? confused24.gif

i'm using 911 stub axles. they bolt right onto the 944 CV and fit into the 914 wheel bearing without any spacers ...
bye1.gif Andy

The stub axles he has won't work with 944 cv joints.

Now... still confused?
ClayPerrine
I use late model 911 hubs and 944 stub axles. Both are easy to find, and will work together if you cut down the hub to fit the bearing. Just chuck them up in a lathe and cut them the same length as the 944 hub's bearing surface.

They are cheaper too....
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2008, 12:42 PM) *

The stub axles he has won't work with 944 cv joints.

that i agree on, it was your "You will need 944 stub axles" comment that i was referring to ...
shades.gif Andy
jd74914
Andy, what did you have to do to your axles?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 5 2008, 02:20 PM) *

Andy, what did you have to do to your axles?

to quote myself ...

bye1.gif Andy
John
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2008, 12:43 PM) *

I use late model 911 hubs and 944 stub axles. Both are easy to find, and will work together if you cut down the hub to fit the bearing. Just chuck them up in a lathe and cut them the same length as the 944 hub's bearing surface.

They are cheaper too....

Wouldn't that put the wheel flange about 10mm closer to the trailing arm?

The later model (aluminum trailing arm era) 911 rear hubs used a 10mm wider bearing and the hubs were just cut deeper to accommodate the 10mm wider bearing. I have used a spacer to make up for the more narrow 914 bearings. That places the face of the 911 hub back to the original position. The later 911 rear hubs had a centering ring of sorts while the earlier ones did not.

As far as I know, both ways work equally well once set up.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.