Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Misc. parts question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eldiosyeldiablo
Will most small parts work on my '74 2.0 car from a '71 1.7 (or how about '73)?

Things like the relay board, drain tubes, interior parts, sheet metal, etc.

I'm just looking for a general thing. Are there any previous postings or documents that say what will work and such?

Thanks,
David
hargray2
More often than not the parts are interchangeable from year to year. Fuel injection stuff
changed--and engine internals changed. Various electrical pieces are different such as
FI brains and wiring harnesses varied like where the steering column connectors are. There are some minor variations here and there. Most any sheetmetal is transferable from year to year. The bumpers changed, but can be converted either way ( I don't know why anybody would convert their car to late style bumpers icon8.gif ). Seatbelts changed some too I think.

This could be a good topic for everyone to chime in on--
It would be a great reference
JWest
OK, I'll start at the front. The license plate bracket is the same for '70 to '74 and a different one was used for '75 and '76.

You guys take care of the rest. wink.gif

But seriously, David, many parts are the same for all years of production, so it's best to ask about a specific part and we'll tell you if it interchanges or not.
eldiosyeldiablo
Relay board?
Door handle (interior/exterior)?
Fog lights?
Dash (top, bottom, middle)?
Seats (not including the 70 -71 non moving passenger seat).
Back pad?
Front and rear lenses?
etc.

So no-one has a list? Was this topic previously covered and I'm am not seeing it in my searches?

-David
seanery
No list because soo much fits. The only things that look questionable to me on that list are the relay board (but probably will) and the door handles.

the dash stuff may be different. Does it have vents on the far outer ends like the 74 does?
JWest
I don't think it has been covered as a topic unto itself.

Relay board - I think there was one change - don't remember.
Door handles are all the same - the inside ones went to black plastic surround in '74.
Fog lights are the same up to '74 - they changed with the big bumpers for '75 and '76.
Dash - padded tops are all the same, lower padded part changed when the vents were added in '72(?)
Seats - all same except what you mentioned.
Back pad - same except for non-movable passenger seat.
Lights are the same for all years.
hargray2
I have a '71--bought it w/o seatbelts. I bought a '72 parts car, has belts, but they are
mounted differently--the retractors are mounted thru the firewall and there's a reinforcement piece in the engine compartment on the backside where the bolt goes thru.
My '71 has no holes in the firewall and no reinforcement piece--how do the retractors mount
in the early cars. Anybody got pictures? Isn't the late/early division point at '72 1/2?

The ball joints--different
shifter and all linkage to transmission and including transmission--different
engine mount bar--different
engine mounts--different

I may be wrong, but I think the headlight lifter linkage arms were covered by a rubber boot
on some cars and others had plastic covers?
Bleyseng
The 70 and 71 cars are different more or less from the later cars. The 72's have different upgrades as they came along. The 73-76 cars pretty much are the same cept for the bumpers.

The early cars are more basic, lighter and still fun although to me more VW like. The later cars just have more creature comforts/upgrades.

Geoff
type47
hargay2: sounds like the belts that mount thru the firewall are racing seat belts. early and late 914 belts are similar in mounting except late have an auto retract. one end of the belt mounts by the persons hip on the door, then goes up to a bracket to route it over the shoulder then down to a mount at the other hip on the floor.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(eldiosyeldiablo @ Jan 9 2004, 10:53 AM)
Relay board?

/6 relay board is different.
most of the other obvious /6 parts are obviously different.

one reason you'd update to a late-style (looking) bumper is that it's a little bit better aerodynamically, and SCCA won't let you cut a hole in a bumper for cooling - but you can mount a cooler under a bumper, and the late model gives you room to do it.

seriously - the definitive answer is to get the 914 parts book and see what years are called out for the carious parts...
hargray2
Nah, their not racing belts, they're the auto retracting type and the retractor part is bolted to the firewall--looks very stock to me. I'll take some pics if I can get a decent camera.
I forgot early cars had non-retracting belts--mine has no seatbelts so I've never seen the early setup in person.
Rich Bontempi
All the years of 914-4 relay boards are interchangable!!
eldiosyeldiablo
Will a steering column from a 1973 1.7L work in a '74 2.0?

Mine works but it is believed to be from a VW instead.

Any suggested prices? Has anyone bought a used or new one recently?

-David
http://www.my914.net/Porsche/my914/parts/
Eric_Shea
how do the retractors mount in the early cars. Anybody got pictures? Isn't the late/early division point at '72 1/2?

You actually need to cut that metal from the firewall in the 72 and weld it in your 71 to get factory retractors to mount... so I've been told. No small task.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.