Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track tire wear... decision to make
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
yarin
I've got a fresh set of v710s that I got onsale waiting for a full autox season, usually 2 drivers per event, 7-8 runs each. However I do want to get a few DE days in as well. I've got a second set of wheels with really old BFG R1s that are the perfect candidate for fresh rubber. I plan on attending a 2 day event at pocono raceway in April, 2 drivers, 4 x 20 minutes sessions each driver. Do you guys think this DE will take significant life off my new 710s? I'm thinking about buying a 2nd set of R compounds, Avon Tech R-As. Still available on closeout for $119/ea from tirerack. Realistically I dont see myself doing more than 4 or 5 DE days this season.

WWYD? (what would you do?)
race914
When I was running one set of wheels/tires, I usually had to mount a new set of tires when the tread was still ok, but may not make all 8 run sessions over a weekend. So I ended up taking tires off that had more run sessions, just maybe not 8. I always felt like I was throwing money away doing that, but on the other hand I didn't want to cord a tire at the track on a Saturday and have to go home.

With two sets, I can run until I actually wear the tires out, then switch over at the track. Also for Time Trials, I usually run the 'old' set Sat & Sun morning then switch to the 'better' set for the timed runs, same thing for road race practice vs. qualifying.

So the benefits of running two sets of wheels/tires for me is:
  • Don't have to change out tires until they are actually worn out, which extends the actual use you get out of each set
  • You can use your 'best set' for the timed runs.
  • When the first set wears out, you don't have to replace immediately, and can wait for a sale if you want to

I run AVON Tech R-As on both sets. My brother-in-law runs Kumhos on his 'practice set' and 'Hoosiers' on his timed run set. He claims he gets a second or more on the Hoosiers. He runs the Kumhos on his practice set since they are less expensive than the Hoosiers.

I vote that you go with two sets of wheels/tires. You'll save $ in the long run and may better your timed runs if you manage them right.
Chris Pincetich
2 sets of v710s would be best, since different tires behave differently. It may cost more, but it would add a degree of consistency to your season. Lots of racers have 2 sets, like described above, and there are big advantages to using the freshest set in competition. beerchug.gif
yarin
Thanks for the input. Decision made...

Ordered 4 Avon Tech RAs. All done.. I'll save these for DEs and less competitive autocross events (ie: crappy lots, test 'n tune, spares, etc)

SirAndy
dunno a thing about the v710s ... but i do know that not all R compound tires are created equally ...

i've spent a lot of time at the track with the toyo spec class at PRC and i have to say that the toyo RA1 has impressed me a lot ...

i run the much softer GoodYear R250 slicks for autocross.
but those wouldn't last more than a few laps at the track.
you'd probably have to step up to the R430 or even the R475 for the big track.

bye1.gif Andy
DanT
V710s are alright for a lite 914-4 for track or AX, but for a heavier car they get greasy after extended lapping....especially if it is hot outside.

the toyos are the spec tire for PRC 911cup cars....so they have to make the best of them...
most TTers have gone away from them because their ultimate grip is not as great as Victors or Hoosiers.
those toyo spec cars would be even faster with hoosiers on board.

and at AX the Toyos just don't get heat in them fast enough to work well.
Joe Ricard
If you are just doing DE
s thenI would consider take offs form someone like John Berget. Dod a google search. he has just about everything. Hoosier R6 with better than 80% tread for 70 to 90 dollars each.
Bob Chick is another guy.

yarin
That's exactly why i wanted to save the v710s for autox. From what I've read the Toyos are not a great autox tire, they are better designed for track. I'm not looking for a top notch track tire, just want something with decent grip that will last a while on a light car in a lower run group.

Joe - thanks for the lead on used Hoosiers.
crash914
I will run the v710 on my car for drivers ed. they will last a pretty long time.

mostly I have run very old race rubber and only got a couple of events out of them. but they were free. Now with new rubber.....watch out!
crash914
BTW, the Hoosiers are easy to cord....watch brake lock ups...
grantsfo
I have lots of time on 710's. They are a very impressive tire and hold up fine for average DE driver. I have run my 710s with two fast drivers running 5 x 25 minute sessions each on a 85 degree day. They defintiely would get a little over heated when doing back to back runs. But after the sessions they still had an amazing amount of tread left. I really like the new Nitto NT01 and the new Toyo 888 for DE days.
PeeGreen 914
The RA1s are a great rain tire. I run the V710s for dry and the RA1s for rain. A couple of guys that run the Hoosier rains really don't do any better than I do when it rains. The RA1s and the hoosier rains look very similar as well.
Racer
I vote for the Keep it Simple Silly approach. 1 dual purpose tire. I have shied away from the real sticky stuff and live with the compromise of having 1 type of tire that can be used on the street, in the rain and on the track or AX venue.

Last year I ran a Boxster. Ran RA-1s. Beat guys at AX who were on the "better" tires.

This year, I have the 914. Will run either RA1 or R888 because, well, they are the best compromise performance tire out there. Who wants to lug extra sets of wheels around.. spend 1hr in the heat/cold swapping stuff around. Set it and forget it.

Also, you don't mention the AX environment you run in.. PCA? SCCA? Some other club that pax's you? I say that only because, sadly, the days of a stock 914 getting FTD are long gone. Maybe a top 10.. maybe even a top 5 depending on the group, but even that is rare.

While V710s are great tires, imho, they are "thin" tires and I would be worried about tire failure, flats etc using them on the street or driving 1-2hours to a DE over crappy NJ/PA roads/expansion joints/construction zones.

The actual "highway" use of a tire is not hard at all compared to the abuses AX or DE put on the tire, fwiw.
yarin
QUOTE(Racer @ Feb 19 2008, 05:08 PM) *

I vote for the Keep it Simple Silly approach. 1 dual purpose tire. I have shied away from the real sticky stuff and live with the compromise of having 1 type of tire that can be used on the street, in the rain and on the track or AX venue.

Last year I ran a Boxster. Ran RA-1s. Beat guys at AX who were on the "better" tires.

This year, I have the 914. Will run either RA1 or R888 because, well, they are the best compromise performance tire out there. Who wants to lug extra sets of wheels around.. spend 1hr in the heat/cold swapping stuff around. Set it and forget it.

Also, you don't mention the AX environment you run in.. PCA? SCCA? Some other club that pax's you? I say that only because, sadly, the days of a stock 914 getting FTD are long gone. Maybe a top 10.. maybe even a top 5 depending on the group, but even that is rare.

While V710s are great tires, imho, they are "thin" tires and I would be worried about tire failure, flats etc using them on the street or driving 1-2hours to a DE over crappy NJ/PA roads/expansion joints/construction zones.

The actual "highway" use of a tire is not hard at all compared to the abuses AX or DE put on the tire, fwiw.

I ended up picking up a set of V710s and RAs. I already have a total of 3 sets of wheels (2 sets panasports that came with the car, and 1 set of crappy street set). I live too far away to drive on R-compounds (about 60 miles door to door). I also flat tow my car to events and swap tires at the event. I should get 1 season + out of each set.

I run PCA NNJr, MetroNY and MotorsportsNE events. NNJR just adopted a PAX format for 2008, MSNE does as well.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.