Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need the V8 tach modification "How to"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Looking for details on the V8 tach modification.

A "how to" and a pic would be awesome. Maybe even borderline stupendous.

=)

On a side note:
I hooked up my ancient speedo tonight and an interesting thing happened. At 15 MPH it read 30. At 60 it went to 100. Then got stuck at 30 and never moved from there. I guess it's due for a tune-up/cleaning. So in the mean time I have a 911 gauge I'll install tomorrow morning and try it out. Hookup looks exactly the same.

Still need that tach mod though. driving.gif happy11.gif

Peace,
Roger
mightyohm
one way to do it:
(scroll down)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=tach++face
brer
I have a VDO tach for an 8 cyl. if you find the need for one.
cheap.

smile.gif
rick 918-S
Here ya go! Contact Mark (Marks914) He'll do what ever you like.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=72389&hl=
marks914
Send it to me, I will not only make it into a V8 tach, but it gets fully refurbished and a redline of whatever style and placement you want
only $150

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Dr. Roger
Thank you all,

I am really just looking for the tach modification. If that doesn't work out I will probably be going to eitherMarks product or a creation of my own. =)

chowtime.gif
cobra94563
popcorn[1].gif
(I could use that tach mod as well, if anyone has the info.)

Right now using a autometer that fits in fine, but wouldn't mine the stock unit.

Also, if there is an adjustment screw on the speedometer anyone knows of?
Dr. Roger
Bob B. (BIGKAT_83) is the author of this solution.

This is the newer style 914 tachometer with the single turn signal indicator light. You can calibrate this for a V8 engine by adding a 15k ohm resistor in parallel with the existing 15k ohm resistor. This then gives you enough adjustment with the pot to calibrate this for the V8. Before I put the tach back together, I wired the tachometer up with jumpers and adjusted pot with the engine running and compared to another (auto meter) tach.

The older style tachometer with the dual turn signal indicator lights has a different calibration board. There is not an adjustment pot for it. I’ve got an extra early tach in working order and the first chance I get I’m going to try to recalibrate it.

Thank you Bob!

aktion035.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Feb 7 2008, 11:26 PM) *

Bob B. (BIGKAT_83) is the author of this solution.

This is the newer style 914 tachometer with the single turn signal indicator light. You can calibrate this for a V8 engine by adding a 15k ohm resistor in parallel with the existing 15k ohm resistor. This then gives you enough adjustment with the pot to calibrate this for the V8. Before I put the tach back together, I wired the tachometer up with jumpers and adjusted pot with the engine running and compared to another (auto meter) tach.

The older style tachometer with the dual turn signal indicator lights has a different calibration board. There is not an adjustment pot for it. I’ve got an extra early tach in working order and the first chance I get I’m going to try to recalibrate it.

Thank you Bob!

aktion035.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Resurrecting an old thread… Okay, so I have a tach dated 9/74… the one with the calibration pot. I want to convert it for v8 use. I am looking in the same area as in your photo. My tach already has 3 resistors mounted on the board (see foto)! As far as I know this tach came out of a 4 cylinder car. What gives! It does have a 0.22 capacitor in place. Somewhere around this forum, I also saw someone who replaced the 0.22 uf cap with a 0.10 uf cap with the same results. Also, I can figure out how to replace one cap with another, but please explain/show how to run one resistor parallel with another!! Any thoughts?
Thanks! driving.gif

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
the gauge you have pictured is not the later style that Dr. Roger refers to. The 1975 and 1976 tach has one indicator light for the turn signal and the needle is different. The pic below is the gauge he is using i believe. Your tach may be a transition year old style with adj. pot, but no really sure.

If you look closely the layout of the two circuit boards is different with different components.

Click to view attachment
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 17 2010, 01:39 AM) *

the gauge you have pictured is not the later style that Dr. Roger refers to. The 1975 and 1976 tach has one indicator light for the turn signal and the needle is different. The pic below is the gauge he is using i believe. Your tach may be a transition year old style with adj. pot, but no really sure.

If you look closely the layout of the two circuit boards is different with different components.

Click to view attachment

Good catch! I should have explained further. My car is a '71, and has white faced gauges (which I like). I had a '74 tach laying around, so I decided to swap. What you see is the '74 innards mounted to the '71 face.

There may have been transition models; but I am unsure. What I know is that the '71 mechanism has no calibration pot, while the '74 does. I've been trying to fine out why the tach I have looks slighty different than the other late style innards. As always, more information is needed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.