Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need wheel spacers for GT fender flares?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I am currently building a 914-6 with the steel GT flares. I am planning to use the Euromeister Alloy Replica Wheels in the 8x 16 (ET 10.6) size for all four wheels. I will be running Dunlop 225/50-16 Sport Max tires on these wheels.

My question is will I need to space out the front or the rears to fill the fenders correctly. Eric Shea is currently drilling my rear hubs for the 5 bolt conversion so I need to specify the length of the studs. If I do need to space them out then I need to know how much spacing you would recommend.

Jeff B
Joe Bob
225s on 8s? Maybe....too many variables for and exact answer. It's an easy add on after fitting the wheel.

I had a 245 on a 7 and was able to add a 1 inch spacer.
BenNC
I have the same tire on 8 x 16 Phone dials (ET 23.3). Based on a rough fit I am going to run 1 - 1.25" spacers. I would expect that you would need about 1/2" less (difference in offsets), but that's just a SWAG.

I'm going with 100 mm studs just to be safe.
rick 918-S
Too many variables. Not all flares are installed the same. This would have a different outcome wheel for wheel. But I ran a 1.25" spacer on my car with 15X8's When I changed to 16X8's and 16X9's I only needed a 16mm spacer. BTW: 225's on the front will be good but many are running 245's on the rear.

jgara962
I have 8" Fuchs with 225's on the rear and it looks fine. I could probably put a 1/4 spacer there, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. On the front I have 7" wheels with 225's and just put 3/4 in spacers on. It looks about right, but I haven't taken the car completely off of jackstands and let the suspension set for the final verdict.

I agree, get the flares on, put on the wheels and see how it looks and then figure out what you need. My guess is that you won't need spacers that are too big, if any at all.
cobra94563
Sounds like you have a preference to run the same size front and back. But you could get the 16x9 w245's (what I have) and it would fit nicely.
Front 225 on 8's should be pretty close.
Twise
I was set to run 8x16 in the front and 9x16 in the rear with the same euromeister wheels you are using. Then I put the 9x16 in the front and decided to go 9x16 all the way around. 9x16 with 245's all the way around - i will be running 1/4 inch spacers front and rear. i am rubbing ever so slightly on the inside rear and in the front inner rear at steering lock. I am going to install the spacers and see if they still rub. The tire I have is 245 50 16 - I am most likely going to have to switch to a 245 45 16 - I did this because the 8 and 9 have the same look/offset - going to 9's all the way around will allow me to rotate. Heres a pic. My wheel studs are stock size - and that wont change with the small spacer I am going to use...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

jkb944t
Thanks for all the great replies to my question. I now think I have enough info to proceed. Wish I had asked this question before I purchased the tires. I would like to keep the front and rear the same if possible but I can always change it later if the handling dictates I need more tire in the rear. Thanks again.

Jeff B
FrogMut
QUOTE(Twise @ Feb 7 2008, 11:45 AM) *

I was set to run 8x16 in the front and 9x16 in the rear with the same euromeister wheels you are using. Then I put the 9x16 in the front and decided to go 9x16 all the way around. 9x16 with 245's all the way around - i will be running 1/4 inch spacers front and rear. i am rubbing ever so slightly on the inside rear and in the front inner rear at steering lock. I am going to install the spacers and see if they still rub. The tire I have is 245 50 16 - I am most likely going to have to switch to a 245 45 16 - I did this because the 8 and 9 have the same look/offset - going to 9's all the way around will allow me to rotate. Heres a pic. My wheel studs are stock size - and that wont change with the small spacer I am going to use...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Did the 16X9's work all the way around ? Offset is 15?

Fiske sells 17x8 and 9/s with 5 offset for GT cars.

Elephant sells a steering rack spacer that eliminates frt inner rear tire rubbing
PanelBilly
I have 16x8 front and back and don't have the spacers. There's a bit on room in there and I've thought about adding them but it doesn't look funny or anything. I go over speed bumps without any trouble too. I'll add some photos later
r_towle
I would add that wide tires also rub on the inside.
Rear wheels will rub on the inside at about Mid point in the rear
Fronts will rub on the inside, at lock at the bottom of the rear inner fender.

You will see the paint or undercoating getting burned off.
Not all car, or both sides.
Mine does one rear and both fronts when I run Hoosiers, which are super wide compared to other tires of the same stated size.
ConeDodger
Another variable to two... The original Porsche flares have less flange in the wheel arch than the AA replica flares. This means of course less tire. McMark trimmed thee flange on my rear flares to prevent scraping.
Second, size for size, some tires are wider than their same size counterpart of another brand. Hoosiers in particular can run wide.

Here are my rears. Four 16X6 Carrera Fuchs were cut and welded to make these wheels. There is perhaps 1/4" of clearance. Harvey Weidman knows exactly what he is doing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.