Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing the Alternator on my 3.6L, Part 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I started to tackle my Alternator replacement on the 3.6L with the engine still in the car.

Step 1: remove the engine lid and battery for better access ...

Step 2: disconnect all wires to the intake. disconnect the throttle cable. disconnect the oil breather hose. then remove the upper intake and airfilter. put some rags in the intake manifolds ...

Step 3: remove the coils and cap on top of the shroud to expose the alternator ...

Step 4: remove the fan belt and fan clamp. this was actually the trickiest part as there's barely room to get that allen wrench in there ...

Step 5: you can now rotate the fan/alternator to get to all 4 bolts that secure the endcap. there's enough slack in the wire loom. be careful not to drop any of the bolts/washers ...

Step 6: with the cap removed, undo the alternator wires. be careful not to drop any of the bolts/washers ...

Step 7: slide the fan and alternator out the top ...

Once the fan and alternator are out, the fan housing just slides off and you can now remove the fan as well as the small alternator cooling fan in the back.

It was surprisingly easy! also discovered that one of the alternator wires is very brittle and the insulation has broken off. that was probably part of my problem ...
oh well, i was thinking about adding a quick disconnect for the wires anyways, and now i have a good reason to cut the loom ...
piratenanner.gif Andy

PS: the new alternator will be here tomorrow and i'll post another thread when putting it all back together ...

Step 1:
Click to view attachment

Step 2:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Step 3:
Click to view attachment

Step 4 & 5:
Click to view attachment

Step 6:
Click to view attachment

Step 7:
Click to view attachment

Done ...
Click to view attachment
biosurfer1
so if you get this changed out and the oil sludge figured out, you gunna make it to EuroSunday?

supposed to be mid-60's/sunny here sunday!
SirAndy
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 8 2008, 06:51 AM) *

you gunna make it to EuroSunday?

that would be a good way to burn the water out of the oil ...
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.