Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Web Cam for rebuild?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
Has anyone used the Web Cam (grind 73?) to rebuild a 2.0 retaining the stock D-Jet? Good or bad experiences?
415PB
I just finished a full rebuild on my 74 2.0 D-Jet. I used the stock grind Web cam with their lifters and so far it works great. I decided against any other Web cam, because I didn't want any problems with the fuel injection.

Rod
ChrisReale
Do a search here as well as at Pelican. It has been done, but you need to tweek the FI. A user named "3D914" was the last one to do it if I recall correctly. He ditched the D-Jet and went mega squirt
Gint
Can't say for sure, but...

Welcome to the board! beer.gif

And - Please post some pictures of your 914 in the Members 914 Pictures thread!
garyh
QUOTE(william harris @ Jan 9 2004, 06:32 PM)
Has anyone used the Web Cam (grind 73?) to rebuild a 2.0 retaining the stock D-Jet? Good or bad experiences?

Yes. Good.

Needed a minor tweak to the MPS. Hot idle problem is -slightly- worse than stock.

Exhaust tone is noticably different.
ChrisReale
Gary, I would like to hear/ride in your web 73 cammed 914. I live in SF. maybe one of these days?
william harris
Thanks for the insight. I am in the total restoration phase with my car. Acquired in May of last year. I drove and enjoyed it for 5 months. In the meantime my Boxster sat in the other garage bay unused and forlorn. Then as winter approached here (it was -4 this morning) north of Boston, I began the restoration process. The car is now striped down to the tub and ready for media blasting and body work (you know the inevitable rust repair in the "hell holes." I would be happy to post pictures of the process. I have a hugh database of pictures, both very small files suitable for e-mail and large 5 mega pixel versions. So how does one post pictures? Can I simply attach them as attachments to a post? Car is originally a California 74 2.0 with appearance package (dual horns, driving lights, vinyl covered targa bar, etc.) I plan on rebuilding the 2.0 with the Mahle pistons but will retain the D-Jet and otherwise be mostly stock. Car will be used for driver in good weather and the Boxster will be the winter car. That ought to make the Boxster guys spin!
seanery
William post away. A lot of folks make a thread called "XXX's Resto Thread" and then post as they go.
We have a limit of 300kb per picture and you can only attach 1 pic per post, so it can get monotonous. We love pics, what a great way to learn!

Welcome to the club! Can't wait to see the pics!
Bleyseng
Do we still have that "you need to post 5 times" before you can post pics?
Love to see your project, so post away! Reduce your photos to atleast 640x400 image size. You can do that with Photoshop Elements or other software. You the save to web feature to reduce the image size below the 300kb limit.

Glad to see another East Coast guy!

Geoff chair.gif
mightyohm
http://www.irfanview.com/

FREE program to view and resize pics. I have been using it for years.
Peter
QUOTE(william harris @ Jan 9 2004, 06:32 PM)
Has anyone used the Web Cam (grind 73?) to rebuild a 2.0 retaining the stock D-Jet?  Good or bad experiences?

From the simulations that I have run, you will likely lose some hp or torque if you just add a cam with more lift/duration and don't increase the compression ratio (considerably) from stock.
ChrisReale
Peter? Its kinda like naming hurricanes laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
agree.gif LMAO! hurricane alfred just struck the coast barf.gif
william harris
Can't tell you how refreshing it is to see a board where there are so many responses! I frequent a couple of Boxster boards (one is great format, with almost no activity and then there's PPBB). In any event, I will make an effort over the next week to master sending in some pictures. I tried and discovered the size problem. Easiest fix is to change the camera settings to smaller images. So stay tuned. Another question: now that I'm down to the tub I'm exploring adding front and rear sway bars. Again my preference is to use OEM pieces. I might autocross the car, but seriously doubt any track use. Suggestions? Front only? Adjustable links? Experiences with OEM versus after market? Remember my intent is to keep the car very close to stock with modest improvements in horse power and handling. cool.gif
redshift
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jan 10 2004, 11:10 PM)
Peter? Its kinda like naming hurricanes laugh.gif

ROFLMAO!

mMm
scottb
hey another guy from taxachusetts!!!!

welcome william!!
lmcchesney
Here is our 914. Picked up in Maine 1998 with 38,000miles. Had to push start it all the way back to Illinois. Rust removed winter of 98. Roll cage 99. Since, rebulit front suspension, composit bushings, 22mm Weilt sway bar, rear with adjust koni, 180# spring, bushings, modified BMW 320I front brakes with ss lines, replaced fuel lines, flares on engine being built 96 X 78 with 48 X 38 valves etc. to keep D-jet.
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif Pretty!

We'll get you straightened out on the images later.. but the car looks great!

Miles
garyh
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Jan 9 2004, 08:09 PM)
Gary, I would like to hear/ride in your web 73 cammed 914.  I live in SF.  maybe one of these days?

Sure, any time.

PM me; I still can't change my email address here.
seanery
gary, PM me with what you would like it to be.
mwyatt
William,
I rebuilt my 2.0 last year with Euro P/C's and the Web Cam #73. My fuel injection is completely stock. The motor runs great, there are no problems with idle, and the power is up at least 10-15% above a stock 2.0. You do have to tune the FI to get the motor to run smoothly, but it is easy to do with the original adjustments.
william harris
Ok, that's what I'm talking about. Sort of followed the Grass Roots Motorsports rebuild project and they mentioned no problems with the Web Cam # 73. Of course they spent 3 days on the dyno setting up the motor. I'm sure I won't be doing that. Your results are encouraging and follow the comments of GRM. Will keep you posted as the engine rebuild takes place. clap56.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(william harris @ Jan 13 2004, 08:10 AM)
Of course they spent 3 days on the dyno setting up the motor. I'm sure I won't be doing that.

William, the only reason GRM spent three days at the dyno was due to the large # of comparative tests performed. The baseline setup was completed very quickly.
BTW, I am PM'ing you now instead of replying to your phone message from Monday.
Jake Raby
They probably had to spend 3 days on a dyno to get the damn EFI set up right!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.