Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Alive! - Fixed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
After about 1.5 years of slow going I fired off the 2056 today. It ran great once we got the timing spot on. Man did it sound mean! Left a nice little puddle at the end of the 20 minute cam break in from the rear main, so I have to pop the trans off and see what's going on there.

Thanks to all those who have helped!

Nate Hall
Sean Bradley
Aaron Cox
John @ Costa Mesa R&D
...and this board

I'm sure there are others! It's running happily at 2000 RPM's here...
Heeltoe914
Congrats make sure to set the carbs up correctly, you will be happy you spent the extra time.
rhodyguy
how did you set the electrical up for the start outside of the car?
Aaron Cox
nice work man!
yeahmag
I had a switch that was wired to the coil and the fuel pump. The power side of the switch had a stackable connector so that the incoming power lead could power a trailer light that acted as my idiot light (always on). The power lead was connected to the starter with a ring terminal. I had jumper cables attached to the starter and the ground lead on the trans - they lead to a battery.

All the grounds (which I think was just the fuel pump) were attached to the case ground pick ups (those 3 pronged things). I used a HF remote starter to start the car.

I can either draw it out or take some pictures if you like.

Anybody care to take a guess why my rear main seal failed?

-Aaron
biosurfer1

Because God hates 914's?

smile.gif
Twise
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 12 2008, 09:05 AM) *

Because God hates 914's?

smile.gif

Yes - I can attest to this. I asked him on the telephone one day and he told me this very thing. He did say he has a soft spot six cylinder engines - the one in my car in particular. So I got that going for me... pray.gif
yeahmag
Great... Thanks for nothing guys. smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 12 2008, 12:05 PM) *

Because God hates 914's?

smile.gif

You need to verify the thrust on the crank.
The little washers that go behind the flywheel are important.

Take the tranny off.
Set up a dial gauge on the face of the flywheel as close to center as possible.
Take a rubber mallet and hit the flywheel forward, set dial indicator to zero
Take mallet and hit fan HUB,..the middle , backwards.
Take reading on thrust.
Read manual to figure out if its in spec.
Get new washers and felt pad for behind the flywheel.
Take flywheel off and put in new oil seal, washers and felt.

While you are at it...check the bolts for the front fan hub and make sure they are the right length, not to long and not rubbing the front seal.

Rich
JmuRiz
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 12 2008, 12:03 AM) *

After about 1.5 years of slow going I fired off the 2056 today. It ran great once we got the timing spot on. Man did it sound mean! Left a nice little puddle at the end of the 20 minute cam break in from the rear main, so I have to pop the trans off and see what's going on there.

Thanks to all those who have helped!

Nate Hall
Sean Bradley
Aaron Cox
John @ Costa Mesa R&D
...and this board

I'm sure there are others! It's running happily at 2000 RPM's here...

You from the Washington DC area? Where'd you get the 9:30 club shirt?
Heeltoe914
Not all main seals are the same. I have had this problem a few times. Now I check and triple check the fit on the flywheel before the main seal gose into the case. Also did you put a little grease on the two surface's before matting them?

Over time you can get a wear groove into the flywheel not easy to spot but its there.

If you need a hand call me 818 266 7774 I am 12min away.
yeahmag
Yup... Grew up just outside of Annapolis. That is an OG 9:30 Club shirt - back when that was their address - 9th and F Streets if memory serves...

HeelToe914,

I'll give you a ring either way. It would be nice to meet.

-Aaron
yeahmag
I just ordered a new rear main seal and flywheel o-ring from Jake. I'm hoping his stuff will get the job done.

Any techniques for actually driving the seal in and how far does it go in? On Jakes video he just lightly tapped it in with a rubber mallet, so that's what I did...
JmuRiz
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 12 2008, 04:43 PM) *

Yup... Grew up just outside of Annapolis. That is an OG 9:30 Club shirt - back when that was their address - 9th and F Streets if memory serves...

-Aaron

Yeah the old place was quite the hole...but good shows and that's all that counts.
yeahmag
I think some of my clothes may still have the "9:30 Club Smell"...
yeahmag
OK... Now I'm a bit confused. This is my first Type IV, but the flywheel seal and surrounding area looks dry and good. I'm thinking that the oil galley plugs that my machinist put in may be leaking. He used yamabond and there appears to be voids in the sealant.

Here is a pic of one of the plugs with some of the Brad Penn oil on it. The yamahbond is white/grey and the oil is green (unfortunately so was the case sealant i used...)
yeahmag
Here is a picture of the flywheel seal... Seems dry down past the cam plug.
yeahmag
Here is a picture of the bottom mating edge of the case to trans. It's wet in the red circled areas. Again, the oil is green and so is my sealant (Curil T).
yeahmag
And finally where most of the oil was collecting - along the bottom seam of the case between the oil strainer and the tranny. There was oil up in the tranny, but *not* on the flywheel, PP, or clutch.

I'm stumped...

Heeltoe914
Looks like that seal may be to far in? call me we can look at it all but plan on redoing the plugs & seal. why not your in there.
yeahmag
And the oil galley plugs were the culprit. When I backed out the one on the right it had maybe 3/4 of a turn of yamahbond on it... I removed bot small plugs and redid them with the Loctite 545 that Jake sells. Dry as a bone!

Thanks to Leamon for coming over to lend a hand.

-Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.