Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: commonality between a 914 and a del Sol
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
This is not a PG correct recommendation as its origins are from a highly regarded Asian manufacturer of typically well- engineered, quality constructed and generally regarded durable and reliable autos, motorcycles and power equipment.

A number of years ago, the aforementioned manufacturer built and sold a model with the name of "del Sol". This car (and I drove one for about a year) had a removable, one piece roof, similar in concept to the 914s execution. Well, to any who had any familiarity with this car, sometimes, some cars would leak around the roof gaskets and dribble water into the passenger compartment. huh.gif
Those of us who have owned our cars long enough to wash them once, or who have owned them a loooooong time like some on this Forum, know that soft, supple and pliant weather stripping and seals are paramount for preserving the integrity of the rubber.

The whole reason for this long-winded intro is to advise one and all that Honda recommends the following for preserving roof seals (on the del Sol), and I'd think on other w/s as well:

It is "Shin-Etsu Silicone" Grease. It's white and goes to clear upon application. Honda Part # 08798-9013. Is it better than other automotive silicone, I don't know and can't really tell. But based on my 29 year affiliation with Honda automobiles, I'm guessing someone at Honda did some research. When I get my 914 back, I'm going to use some on my new rubber pieces. Pat probably won't approve, but there are so many none P/G "blessed" things about my car that it probably won't matter much anymore. laugh.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 12 2008, 12:56 PM) *

This is not a PG correct recommendation as its origins are from a highly regarded Asian manufacturer of typically well- engineered, quality constructed and generally regarded durable and reliable autos, motorcycles and power equipment.

A number of years ago, the aforementioned manufacturer built and sold a model with the name of "del Sol". This car (and I drove one for about a year) had a removable, one piece roof, similar in concept to the 914s execution. Well, to any who had any familiarity with this car, sometimes, some cars would leak around the roof gaskets and dribble water into the passenger compartment. huh.gif
Those of us who have owned our cars long enough to wash them once, or who have owned them a loooooong time like some on this Forum, know that soft, supple and pliant weather stripping and seals are paramount for preserving the integrity of the rubber.

The whole reason for this long-winded intro is to advise one and all that Honda recommends the following for preserving roof seals (on the del Sol), and I'd think on other w/s as well:

It is "Shin-Etsu Silicone" Grease. It's white and goes to clear upon application. Honda Part # 08798-9013. Is it better than other automotive silicone, I don't know and can't really tell. But based on my 29 year affiliation with Honda automobiles, I'm guessing someone at Honda did some research. When I get my 914 back, I'm going to use some on my new rubber pieces. Pat probably won't approve, but there are so many none P/G "blessed" things about my car that it probably won't matter much anymore. laugh.gif

Paul

Harumph!

Keep it away from anything painted!

Glycerine is better & cheaper & won't suck it's way into your paint.

But, it's your car........
Pat
E-Man
Do what you want. I stick with the German stuff:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/catalog/sh...einszt_pg10.htm

McMark
PG correct... I love it. av-943.gif

We love ya, Pat!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 16 2008, 10:27 PM) *

PG correct... I love it. av-943.gif

We love ya, Pat!

Thank you Mark! Finally, someone with some smarts!

I would advise anyone who wants this tasty (well, I really haven't tasted it - yet) stuff from Fleets to grab it while you can - it's being discontinued.

Apparently, there isn't a large enough market for Glycerin "anything", and it's apparently expensive to produse in purity form. Grab it while you can. I have enought to last me until I start crapping my drawers & pinching nurses butts with impunity, because I'll be really old & easily forgiven. Or, so they'll think!! Heh, heh! Don't let your daughter work at my nursing home.
Pat
JeffBowlsby
Glycerin is available at most pharmacies over the counter....no need to hoard... biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
Worht sells a Glycerin for lubing seals and such. It is actually what the Honda dealership uses out here. The shop I worked at used it as well. The other stuff was found to be harmful to paint and a buliten was sent out to all the honda shops to caution of it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 17 2008, 10:36 PM) *

Glycerin is available at most pharmacies over the counter....no need to hoard... biggrin.gif

Not here! It has disappeared - I'm told it's too expensive to refine & the demand is low. About the only way you can find it in a drugstore here is in the "roid" aisle, and that's being discontinued.

I ran out last fall - an 8 oz bottle I'd had for 20 years. Was lucky enough to score some Fleets brand on clearance.
Pat

ps - yes, I'm hoarding!
familienauto
If you know anywhere local where they are making biodiesel, glycerin is a byproduct of production. I'm not sure what biodiesel manufacturers typically do with it - probably recycle it or burn it or something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.