Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine knocks but still runs strong.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LetoAtreides
Hi fellow 914ers,

Well, I'm back again with yet another issue with my newly installed 1.7 engine. I'm hearing a knock at low RPM that seems to be in time with the engine. However, once revved, the noise seems to smooth out. Valve pushrods are working fine and carbs are balanced and tuned fine. The only thing I can think is (oh please God, no, not again) a thrown rod bearing. The only thing that makes me think i could be something different is that the engine My problem is that I can't actually check the problem myself (i.e. look for flecks in the oil), because I just started school again in Long Beach and my car is still up in the Bay Area. Just hoping someone here has some good news, perhaps a different diagnosis.
blink.gif
Brando
If it's been a while you may want to check your valve lash. One or more valves may be set loose.
So.Cal.914
Well Dune ah Dude, could be piston slap, what type of pistons did you put

in? The first 1911 I built had a 'clack...clack' at idle. It was cheap cast pistons, but

I still got 5 years out of that engine. smile.gif
LetoAtreides
I just adjusted the valves, and they're gapped correctly, so it's not a loose valve. Besides, high pitched enough to be a loose valve. As for the pistons, I don't know what kind of pistons are in the engine, I bought it from someone as a replacement for my old 1.8 which blew up.

Good news is though, I don't think it's a thrown rod. I listened to some of the John Muir engine sound files and it doesn't sound like a thrown rod. Odd part is, though, none of the sound files seem to match the sound I'm getting.
purple
QUOTE(LetoAtreides @ Feb 13 2008, 01:07 PM) *

I just adjusted the valves, and they're gapped correctly, so it's not a loose valve. Besides, high pitched enough to be a loose valve. As for the pistons, I don't know what kind of pistons are in the engine, I bought it from someone as a replacement for my old 1.8 which blew up.

Good news is though, I don't think it's a thrown rod. I listened to some of the John Muir engine sound files and it doesn't sound like a thrown rod. Odd part is, though, none of the sound files seem to match the sound I'm getting.

Okay! I have a VERY similar problem! And I need an answer. I have a high pitched squeaking in time with the engine and every time #3 is supposed to be doing something it's spitting mixture back out the carb throat with a high pitched whistle

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80757
that's the thread with a better description. they are saying it's a tight valve. I think it's a possibly badly seated pushrod.

I will be watching this thread too, as it may contain answers
popcorn[1].gif
904svo
I just had a strange noise in my engine, sound like a rod knock at times and other strange noises. Found out the PO had left out the SPRING between the distributor and the drive gear. The drive gear was going up and down making a strange noise.
LetoAtreides
@purple: Sorry for the confusion, that was supposed to be, "it's NOT high pitched enough." It's more of a low knocking. Although your problem does sound like either a tight valve or a badly seated pushrod.

@904svo: how would I check the spring?

Also, I checked some more of the John muir sound files, and I found that [url=http://home.arcor.de/silke.fokken/sounds/cvjoints.wav] this sound, CV joint noise, matched pretty well. Strangely, though this sound is produced when the car is rolling, the sound that I have persists even when stationary.
904svo
QUOTE(LetoAtreides @ Feb 13 2008, 12:26 PM) *

@purple: Sorry for the confusion, that was supposed to be, "it's NOT high pitched enough." It's more of a low knocking. Although your problem does sound like either a tight valve or a badly seated pushrod.

@904svo: how would I check the spring?

Also, I checked some more of the John muir sound files, and I found that [url=http://home.arcor.de/silke.fokken/sounds/cvjoints.wav] this sound, CV joint noise, matched pretty well. Strangely, though this sound is produced when the car is rolling, the sound that I have persists even when stationary.

Remove the distrubitor and look at the drive gear there should be a spring there,
a fast check is to remove the dist. cap and push down on the rotor it should spring back if the spring is installed.

John
Does the noise change with the clutch pedal in or out?
LetoAtreides
QUOTE(John @ Feb 13 2008, 12:53 PM) *

Does the noise change with the clutch pedal in or out?

dunno, i'll try that though.
purple
there is a similar thread to this i just read, does yours have dual carbs?

oh, and it turns out the pushrod wasnt seated in the lifter bore, in case you cared, Leto.
orange914
QUOTE(904svo @ Feb 13 2008, 11:35 AM) *

I just had a strange noise in my engine, sound like a rod knock at times and other strange noises. Found out the PO had left out the SPRING between the distributor and the drive gear. The drive gear was going up and down making a strange noise.

i wonder how many people leave that spring out, i'll bet it's comonly done more than you'd think. when putting mine together i made sure it was there even though i was surprised that some that didn't feel it was a big deal either way
LetoAtreides
QUOTE(purple @ Feb 13 2008, 07:20 PM) *

there is a similar thread to this i just read, does yours have dual carbs?

oh, and it turns out the pushrod wasnt seated in the lifter bore, in case you cared, Leto.

Indeed it does.

Good, I'm glad you were able to figure out what it was.
SGB
Yep- good news. Great news infact. Running strong, Purple?
Doya s'pose Leto could just have an exhaust leak?

Hey man, have you climbed under with the engine running (lift or 'stands req'd) to listen for exhaust leaks? Use length of vac hose like a stethescope to stick up around the exhaust pipe to cylinder head juncture. Gotta be cautious and wear gloves (at least one, anyway). Exjaust leaks allow that valve and combustion/ exhaust gas noise to come through every 4 revolutions- causing an exagerated stacatto effect a dead valve might be expected to create.
purple
I asked about having dual carbs leto, because if Joe ricard comes on here, if it sounds like rod knock, it could actually be your carbs are out of sync.

Let me find that thread real quick...even has sounds and video

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80860

there you are!

SGB, thanks for your help on hydro lifter valve adjustment in your PM's it was hugely valuable! it's running decently, the carbs are NOT tuned at all and not synced either, so it's not running very smoothly, but it's firing up on the first TDC, just like it used to. i expect compression is very good in my engine

sorry for the hijack, Leto!

Nice name btw, i like the dune series of books....
LetoAtreides
Ah, I see, that is approximately the sound I'm having. One thing that's bugging me, though, is that I just took my car in to my mechanic for a checkup and on of the things he did was balance the carbs... I will check that though. I guess I've gotta stop ruling things out and start testing myself.

I know for a fact that don't have an exhaust leak at the heads. That was one of the main things I checked when I put the engine in, due to the fact that the exhaust stud holes were oversized. I put new coppers on the heads, and thoroughly checked each one. I do, however have a tiny exhaust leak at the joint between the muffler and HE's, could that be a factor?
LetoAtreides
As for the exhaust leak, would that make a clunk or a pop? because my engine is clunking. I apologize for the noob-ness.
LetoAtreides
I found another thread that seems to have the exact same problem that I'm experiencing. Could this possibly be an exhaust leak? Please let me know, as I am desperate to get my car drivable again.

Here is the link to the other thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76626&
LetoAtreides
icon_bump.gif

shameless bump. Just trying to see if i can get any more insight. I'm desperate to get my teener running.
LetoAtreides
icon_bump.gif

shameless bump. Just trying to see if i can get any more insight. I'm desperate to get my teener running.
Twystd1
Leto,

Where do you live in Cali.?

I think if one of us that know these cars/engines well could physically listen HEAR and check a couple of things. I would bet we could come to a proper resolution of what the hell is wrong with your engine.

We have many teener owners near you more than likely. And MANY of the fellas like to step up and help.

Cheers,
Clayton Clark
LetoAtreides
I live in Half Moon Bay, CA, near San Francisco, on the coast. Well, at least that's where the car is. I'm currently in school at Long Beach State, so I can't work on my own car. I'm relying on my dad to help me diagnose the problem by running any tests on it.
LetoAtreides
Well, my dad drained the oil and what he found wasn't good. Bearing material.

...Time to look for a new engine I guess...

Thanks for all your help guys, it was much appreciated.
purple
QUOTE(LetoAtreides @ Feb 20 2008, 11:06 PM) *

Well, my dad drained the oil and what he found wasn't good. Bearing material.

...Time to look for a new engine I guess...

Thanks for all your help guys, it was much appreciated.

oh man! that sucks so hard!

now it's time to call up Mr. Jake Raby and get you a proper engine!

That's who's getting my business when my engine kicks the bucket..

Ya hear me Jake!!!!? w00t.gif
Joe Ricard
Geez, don't ya know any moron can put an engine together.

Or do you want to build an engine. Yea that in my opinion is a BIG difference.
Brando
Any moron can put an engine together -- yes.

But it takes skill, time and patience to blueprint an engine that will run well.

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Feb 21 2008, 09:31 AM) *
Geez, don't ya know any moron can put an engine together.

Or do you want to build an engine. Yea that in my opinion is a BIG difference.

LetoAtreides
I would love to get a Raby enigine. I just don't have the cash.
purple
QUOTE(LetoAtreides @ Feb 21 2008, 06:11 PM) *

I would love to get a Raby enigine. I just don't have the cash.

well....neither do i, join the club beerchug.gif

I'm curious what you're gonna do, keep us posted because I'd like to know what happens if the teener kicks the bucket while i'm 'cash free'

i like that better than 'broke' or 'cheap'....'cash challenged'

nice smilie_pokal.gif
LetoAtreides
I'm planning on finding a good used engine, and this time I'm gonna make sure it runs well before I buy it. It's all I can do right now, and I gotta have my car back soon. College without a car kinda sucks. And besides, now I have the experience of doing an engine swap, so this time it won't be as frustrating. And it won't be raining...
purple
wait, this will be your daily driver?!

i'd get a cheapy corolla for that kind of duty.

these cars are great, but i'd be god damned before i'd rely on one to actually get me somewhere EVERY day without fail, and on time.
LetoAtreides
Not really, since I live on campus. But I would like to go places on the weekends and not be stuck in the dorms. So i guess it would be more of a weekend driver.
Brando
Why? When well maintained these cars are very drivable daily. Mine is. Aside from the rare failure of things, like a throttle cable, clutch cable... It's been incredibly reliable. Moreso than my mom's 2000 Saturn.

~B

QUOTE(purple @ Feb 22 2008, 09:07 AM) *
wait, this will be your daily driver?!

i'd get a cheapy corolla for that kind of duty.

these cars are great, but i'd be god damned before i'd rely on one to actually get me somewhere EVERY day without fail, and on time.

LetoAtreides
Very true, and I was able to drive mine daily for a whole summer. I had to adjust the valves every three or four weeks but it was fine.

That is, until it blew up. But that was because the oil cooler plug fell out.
LetoAtreides
Speaking of Raby engines, I'm curious to know what the base level Raby engine costs. Just for future reference. I can't seem to access his website.
ws91420
See Member Vendors section a Raby 2056 professionally assembled 5k from Original customs right in Napa, CA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.