Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 valve DOHC engine aircooled
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
bugat5speed
Hi together,

I´m from Germany and have a company called Bug @ 5-Speed. Do a lot with Porsche 5-Speed gearboxes, sports shifters and other things. Have a new project running which is a new flat 4 engine for vintage cars like Porsche 356, 914, 912, VW Beetle and others. The engine is a 4-valve DOHC engine with a own crankcase with 5 bearings. Attached some pictures of the heads. I have molds for the heads and other parts and I have a own milling centre to machine the parts. The engine will give a reliable high power. We expect easy 100 PS per 1.000 cc. The capacity will be between 2.000 and 2.500 cc. The engine will reach high revvs (8.000 and more) and will stand this due to the 5 bearings of the crankshaft.
The design of the engine will be a little like the one of the old Porsche 356 Carrera engine. So it also fits vintage cars what concerns the look of it.

Am currently checking the interest of people and would be very pleased about replies to my posting. I hope that I´m in the correct column and that nobody of the admins minds this information.

The engine will not be cheap, as it is developed completely new. Can´t give an exact price at the moment.

Will check the forum regularly, but also would like to answer some mails on this matter.

Thank you for your interest

Martin Bott
Bug @ 5-Speed Germany
www.bugat5speed.de
info@bugat5speed.de
Twystd1
Hi Martin,

I have been following your goods since you first started the Vdub shifters.

I still want to try one of those in a 914. Just to see if they work better than the other alternatives.

That chamber roof combo should work well. And the bottom end pics I saw on the STF site LOOKS strong as hell.

When do you think you will start the first dyno runs? This year?

I am looking forward to seeing more as time progresses.

Cheers and best of luck...!!!!!!!!!

Clayton
Mikey914
Looks like a great idea. Interested to see how pricing works out. Probably best sold as a long block.

Nice to see some "new" technology becoming available for our cars!
alpha434
I would've thought that there'd be more of a response to this.

This is freakin' wicked.

My only questions.

What's angle/distance into the intake and exhaust?

And is it a swirl port chamber, or just "two in, two out"?

And are those heads cast iron?!?
bugat5speed
Hi,

the heads are cast aluminium. They are made by a faundry that has good experience in casting cylinderheads for aircooled vehicles.

The intake and exhaust both are vertiacally 90 degrees to the axis of the piston. The manifolds merge to each an oval shape. Means only one inlet and one exhaust per cylinder. Oval is the best floating shape for a 4-valve and is also best for the exhaust in general. Manifilds to the carbs or later to the fuel injection goes from oval to round. Will give pics on this later.

Hope my English is not too unhandy.

Martin
Bug @ 5-Speed
www.bugat5speed.de
race914
Hi Martin,

I'm very interested in your project and look forward to specs, test results, pics, prices, etc.

Thanks for posting on 914World.

Greg Braun
alpha434
Is there any accommodation for getting cooling air to the back side of the head, where the exhaust valves are?

Do you have a picture of just the ports and their shapes?

Are the cams out of something readily available? Or are they custom for application?

What does the block look like?
Mikey914
Looks like the valves will be zero clearance. Interested to see how the plug area holds up.
914werke
SICK!!!!
SGB
it's about time someone did this. Aircooling for autos will be back someday...
silver arrow
Interested to see dyno and final pricing. Any interest in building 4 valve heads that fit Type 4 motors?
RJMII
www.bugat5speed.de

check out his website!!! lots of great pictures. =o) Don't worry about reading German... just look for clues like "DOHC". wink.gif
914rat
This could rock the entire air cooled world.How much $$$$.Talk about development WOW.
cant friggin wait.
turboman808
Thats gonna be wicked. Can't wait to see the results.
charliew
I inquired awhile back about a neat short cast aluminum pan for the suby that Martin makes. It looked pretty good. I wanted a bigger, gated solution that I got from Kennedy and Speedway. I also like to make my own solutions.

Martin has a lot of advanced stuff.

I found out a long time ago (from vw's and motorcycles) that heat sucks power out of a air cooled motor a lot. The harder and longer you run it the slower it gets. The more power it makes the harder it is to keep it cool. At some point water gets better at cooling high performance motors. Mercedes has a elect. controlled water thermostat for their new bad a$$ v8. I like that.
When you add a drysump cooler of course it helps but the heads never really get the cooling they need for high tech performance.
Guys that like to spend a lot of money on cars should like this approach as it will cost more than you can imagine but it will be pretty neat at the same time.

More power to you Martin, I'm sure it will be very interesting.

The dollar exchange rate might improve our prices in the next year too.
dinomium
kwel site and stuff!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 6 2008, 09:47 AM) *

........ At some point water gets better at cooling high performance motors. Mercedes has a elect. controlled water thermostat for their new bad a$$ v8. I like that...........

BMW has electric thermostats in it's later model V-8s. I like 'em because, when they fail (and they DO fail) I get to sell not only a thermostat, but also an engine wiring harness and an ECU, as well as a TON of labor. Hey, it pays the rent ..................

The Cap'n
dlestep
...didn't Porsche test and run 4-valve heads in the late 60's, early 70's, I think for a run around targa floria and found it to be very high strung, with the power band way up at the top and I believe that it ran too hot. The 935 turbos had them and the 959. The 4 valves didn't reappear until they had water-cooling.

And I believe that in the mid 90's wasn't there a good ole German guy selling a 14K 4 valve kit for the 69-89 engines? I remember laying on the couch watching the news with the magazine open with the article and pics and just droolin' for hours staring at it with no intention of ever believeing that I could afford such a beautiful thing.....

Click to view attachment
this is a POP 4-valve from the 80's isn't it beautiful !!
shaqdiesel
QUOTE(dlestep @ Jan 8 2009, 05:30 PM) *

...didn't Porsche test and run 4-valve heads in the late 60's, early 70's, I think for a run around targa floria and found it to be very high strung, with the power band way up at the top and I believe that it ran too hot. The 935 turbos had them and the 959. The 4 valves didn't reappear until they had water-cooling.

And I believe that in the mid 90's wasn't there a good ole German guy selling a 14K 4 valve kit for the 69-89 engines? I remember laying on the couch watching the news with the magazine open with the article and pics and just droolin' for hours staring at it with no intention of ever believeing that I could afford such a beautiful thing.....

Click to view attachment
this is a POP 4-valve from the 80's isn't it beautiful !!

What is this engine- am curious- if this is a foolish question sorry

RK
gothspeed
This is awesome .......... biggrin.gif
Russ
Let me know when these heads are complete along with prices. I think that they woould work great with my 2.5l four.

Thanks,
Russell
turpin0801@aol.com
charliew
Not a addon a complete 5 main motor.
jgara962
Great article in Excellence about your product. I can't wait to see what the results are from your bench test.
JazonJJordan
QUOTE(silver arrow @ Mar 3 2008, 05:24 PM) *

Interested to see dyno and final pricing. Any interest in building 4 valve heads that fit Type 4 motors?

shades.gif You bet! w00t.gif
Van914
I think this engine is a 911 with two cyls cut off. One of the 356 outlaw guys built it. As I remember it was expensive.
Van914
RonW
QUOTE(Van914 @ Jul 11 2009, 07:55 AM) *

I think this engine is a 911 with two cyls cut off. One of the 356 outlaw guys built it. As I remember it was expensive.
Van914

The case is a new cast w/ custom crank, cams and utilizes alot of the 6 parts.
$20-$30k.
Polo motor

Saw that article in Excellence, looks very kewl biggrin.gif
ME733
biggrin.gif well its my opinion that ...some enterprising person could just remake ,in mass, the 911-4,(that custom built engine from the 1980,s shown above).all the engineering ,all the parts-custom crank, cams, etc were MADE IN AMERICA.I have seen that engine.(or one just like it.)...Its is really neat!,a real engineering masterpirce....and would fit into many porsche cars with 4 cylinder engines...it,s the cost however that kills the project, unless it could be mass produced to lower the per unit cost. Do not overlook the EXISTING and available custon engines and parts,used primarily for DRAG RACING.(V/Ws).I havent seen or heard about any of the 914 guys using ANY of these available engines and they are half the "PROJECTED" cost of the 4-valve german custom engine.AS a note of intrest it is a fact that the Carrera 4 cam 2.0 L of 1963 -1964-1965 has one of the highest H/P outputs for Normally asperated engines in History..they used 46 IDA carbs. and were a TWO valves per cylinder engine. bye1.gif
RonW
abit of a highjack but while were on the subject

this was another OHC project that looked like it was making headway but seemed to have died www.apfelbeck.nl

IPB Image

hope this one makes it to market.
Van914
RonW,
Yes that the article in Excellance I saw.
Van
Mueller
Bump from the dead....guessing this never happened?

No mention that I can find on his website sad.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 28 2015, 05:04 PM) *

Bump from the dead....guessing this never happened?

No mention that I can find on his website sad.gif

Who knows... Martin is slow at his projects, but he always seems to get it done. He's still here and has been selling his 914GT 915 trany conversion kit. Spendy but high quality.

The 911/4 polo engine can be bought now.
Michel
Interested to know how Martin is progressing with the project as much as the Apfelbeck team. Though with the Capricorn and the Polopolus motor I wonder where that leaves the bugat engine project? I had heard pricing was to be more than 60k???

Irrespective great stuff
Mueller
QUOTE(Michel @ Mar 27 2016, 08:20 AM) *

Interested to know how Martin is progressing with the project as much as the Apfelbeck team. Though with the Capricorn and the Polopolus motor I wonder where that leaves the bugat engine project? I had heard pricing was to be more than 60k???

Irrespective great stuff

Wondering how many they sold?

Any links to their engine website are not working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.