Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Those with a /6 what setup are using for exhast?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
My new to me /6 engine will be here tomorrow aktion035.gif Now I need headers and muffler of some sort. What are you using? I was thinking of using a set of megaphones, but would that be to loud? I will be AXing the car so while I really don't care how loud I want to make sure I can keep it under 110db.

Thanks
PeeGreen 914
Triad..... headers and exhaust.
race914
Pair of Phase 9s!

IPB Image

http://quiethorsepower.com/pics.html

DanT
megs are too loud....

headers with a nice Factory style twin pipe sport muffler or Phase9s like Greg suggested...
SirAndy
PMS - Patrick Motor Sports

coated headers and dual mufflers ...
bye1.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

sww914
When I put my six in I'll be sporting a pair of megaphones with cookie cutters.
IMO there's no such thing as too loud.
It seems that all of the Northern California guys run mufflers and the Southern California guys run open exhaust.
I'm in the middle and most of the guys I know around here run the loudest open exhaust possible!
SirAndy
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 13 2008, 05:26 PM) *

and most of the guys I know around here run the loudest open exhaust possible!

i like the sound of my mufflers. they're completely open. the dia. you see on the end is the same as the through pipe, you can look straight through them!

they're quieter than the magephones. in fact, PMS use to sell them as "Laguna Mufflers" as they pass the sound check at laguna going uphill on full throttle ...

bye1.gif Andy
race914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 13 2008, 07:45 PM) *

i like the sound of my mufflers. they're completely open. the dia. you see on the end is the same as the through pipe, you can look straight through them!

they're quieter than the magephones. in fact, PMS use to sell them as "Laguna Mufflers" as they pass the sound check at laguna going uphill on full throttle ...

bye1.gif Andy

I think they are the only mufflers I've seen that have CV joints... biggrin.gif

IPB Image

sww914
QUOTE(race914 @ Feb 14 2008, 06:27 AM) *

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
SirAndy

they're attached to the muffler bearings, adds some extra HP utilizing the exhaust gas pressure ...
shades.gif Andy
flesburg
Depends on your engine and intake system.

We are running a stock 3.2 with an Oxygen sensor.

It needs some back pressure, or it does not run well.

We are running headers from George Narbel (European Racing Headers), (great headers) in Henderson NV 702-433-9189, and a sport muffler from PP with dual outlets, with the exit pipes cut off to about 6" long.......

Seems to work well and is quiet enough for the street (I don't know how legal it is, but quiet enough).

Eric_Shea
I have the choice of the Bursch headers or the stock HE's with a factory Sport muffler... make that a "factory muffler" that has been modified to be a sport muffler. I've yet to decide on the headers vs. the HE's Both are sitting in the attic in the garage.

I doubt either one would change my hp rating much.
brant
another:
sww914
That's far and away the nicest exhaust bracket I've ever seen. Your whole car is really nice isn't it? My car looks like an old John Deere product that's been spliced together by 4 generations of farmers.
rennauto
Nickel plated Bursch headers with stainless Dansk dual out muffler. Nice deep tone (2.2L)
J P Stein
A lot of you'z guys don't believe in balance pipes, eh?
That's good especially if we meet at an AX. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image

What size gloves do your CV joints wear?
brant
thats very kind of you ssw914
I can say that its a little beat up now and not as nice in person.

nothing wrong with your car either
and your fast!
grantsfo
I use a Dansk single outlet on MSDS headers. I have a certain joy when I quietly pass big loud race cars on the track. I'm thinking of going to a dual outlet sport muffler for venues where I dont need to meet 92 db limit. My high reving motor could stand to exhale a little easier.
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 18 2008, 10:57 PM) *

I have a certain joy when I quietly pass big loud race cars on the track.

agree.gif some of the cars out there are all loud but no uhmpf. loud does not equal fast ... rolleyes.gif

the dual mufflers from PMS are surprisingly quiet and i like it that way ...
driving.gif Andy
Racing916
Stingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
degreeoff
well on page 3 of my thread I have the how to modify a 2in 1out muffler pics.....Its what I will use BUT I have a euro race muffler or a cheesy glass packer I'd sell ya cheap!! $125/$50 respectivly
PeeGreen 914
I have to say that I am VERY pleased with my combo of Triads.... Ist is for street and 2nd is for track.
davec
I've had most of the systems listed in this thread and can tell you that they will all rob precious horse power from you unless your engine is allowed to breathe. One of the aforementioned systems robbed 100HP from me. I have dyno results to support my claims that the Pete Weber Phase 9 system made 10hp more than megaphones. They'll keep your DB's down too, but if you really want it to be street-quiet, add his Phase 10 system to the 9's. Once you spring for the system, you'll never give it another thought.
J P Stein
How on earth could you loose 100hp from a Porsche engine with a muffler change?
If you worked at it, I could see it, otherwise .....not likely.
Richard Casto
Any opinions on Supertrap? I ask because the plan on my car is to use MSDS headers and two existing Supertrap that I already have. This would be with a stock 3.2.
Joe Bob
While straight thru exhaust and mufflers look mean and nasty...it's my experience...and I DO have some....that a little back pressure is a good thing. Megaphones....mind numblying LOUD.....so loud that it will penetrate earplugs and a helmet.....

I also find cross over is good for smoothness as well. Porsche isn't stupid....the heat exhangers are well engineered for up to 3.0s and the stock dual in banna muff can be modified to a sport configuration.

I've experimented with most flat six motors from 2.0 up to 3.6s....both carbed and injected.....I've used straight zoomies and then added gradually restricted muffs....and crossovers....you of course can duplicate my efforts but my seat of the pants dyno tells me what has worked. I even use sport cats as premufflers and it helps both the tuneability and the emissions at the tail pipe.

Joe Bob
Further.....on my 3.6 tail dragger I modded 993 HEs to fit....I had to redo the flanges...some Porsche rocket scientist decided to flip them 90 degrees...never found out why...anyways, 993 HEs and a cat with a spiral type muff capped with a tuneable SINGLE supertrapp tip. Yep....SINGLE exhaust on my 3.6.....3 inch mandrel bends and it's smog legal.

It has to be, it's in my 83 SC......I run it side by side with my friend's 74 Targa....he's running a straight thru Magacore or something like that with dual outlets. I am considerably quicker off the line and thru the gears up to about 100mph....similar configuration and chips....he even has a lower gear ratio in his ring and pinion 915 trans.....I was much more even when I was running headers and twin supertrapps straight out the back.

I know, not scientific but I have a real job....

Series9
I have the exact same arrangement as Sir Andy. I believe the headers are actually made my "European Racing" and the mufflers are modified Tech Art.

I have noted that Andy's car is substantially quieter than mine. Assuming the mufflers are actually identical, the only difference in our cars is the hydraulic lifters. His is hydraulic (USA spec) and mine is a solid lifter engine.

Just wanted you to know that it's not a quiet arrangement on the RS, but I like it that way.
TimT
This is the setup on the back of my 3.2 914/6, quiet enough for LimeRock dry.gif

Coast Mufflers (rebuildable) with a cross over pipe I made poke.gif just for JP

J P Stein
QUOTE(TimT @ Mar 15 2008, 05:49 PM) *

This is the setup on the back of my 3.2 914/6, quiet enough for LimeRock dry.gif

Coast Mufflers (rebuildable) with a cross over pipe I made poke.gif just for JP

I knew someone here must know bout balance tubes..... I didn't know Tim was watching. biggrin.gif

You showed me that before and it kinda became a model for what Dave made me.
PRS914-6
M&K . Clean, light and looks stock and sounds great. Will work with a 915 as well.
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 19 2008, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 18 2008, 10:57 PM) *

I have a certain joy when I quietly pass big loud race cars on the track.

agree.gif some of the cars out there are all loud but no uhmpf. loud does not equal fast ... rolleyes.gif

the dual mufflers from PMS are surprisingly quiet and i like it that way ...
driving.gif Andy

B&B 2.25 STAINLESS HEADERS WITH HEAT (PACIFIC NORTH WEST) TRAID MUFFLER.SOUND SUPER GOOD AT SPEED BUT SLIGHT DRONE IN TOWN
drew365
My 2.7 has headers and Supertrapps. I don't have pics on this computer. I did three dyno pulls: 1. V8 style Magnaflows, 2. Supertrapps wide open, no disks, 3. Supertrapps with 18 disks. I got the best hp and tq numbers with the Supertrapps and 18 disks. The engine seems to like a little back pressure. At the track I started removing disks and could tell a big difference after I got below 15 disks, it started to choke.
SirAndy
QUOTE(356 @ Mar 3 2008, 08:38 AM) *

I had to redo the flanges...some Porsche rocket scientist decided to flip them 90 degrees...never found out why...

you know, you could have just moved the studs. you got two extra holes that should have lined up with the 993 flanges ...
shades.gif Andy
dekman
"Love my Monty!"

IPB Image

(GHL headers w/heat)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.