Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914/VW type 4 valve adjusting tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
I've never seen one of these. Anybody know how they work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2452333532
sj914
From the looks of it, you would put the tool on the valve adjustment nut and then on top there's a built in screwdriver that you turn to adjust the valve. Pretty much it replaces a wrench and a screwdriver.
ejm
sj914 is correct.
It should work OK on Type 2 + 4's with the engine installed, might not be enough room to use it on a 914.
Most likely it's still in "excellent condition" because a wrench and screwdriver work just as well.
URY914
Here is a pic of a tool that I bought +15 years ago. Kinda neat not like you said, can't be used while in the car.
URY914
The knob has a srcewdriver tip on it and is spring loaded. The round piece has a hex cut into the end for the lock nut on the rocker arm.

Paul
TimT
Snap-on also makes a similar tool
Bleyseng
Looks like you would have to take the motor out everytime you adjusted the valves. That is the hard way..
Jake Raby
Its worthless.... just use the wrench and screwdriver!
Jake Raby
I use chromoly pushrods so i don't need a feeler gage... just zero lash and loose enough to spin the pushrod! easy as pie
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 10 2004, 02:41 PM)
I use chromoly pushrods so i don't need a feeler gage... just zero lash and loose enough to spin the pushrod! easy as pie

What!!.....What!!......Wait a minute. No feeler gauge? Zero valve lash? WTF!!
I haven't heard of this before. How do I do this? We talkin Megabuck push rods or what? Sure sound like an easy way to adjust the valves.
Cheers, Elliot
redshift
huh.gif

m
rhodyguy
nice tease jake. brad mentioned running our engines at 0 lash some time ago to "wake them up". while thumbing through the lash manual i noticed the dif in valve adj specs for the different displacement engines. i'm still unsure as to why.

kevin
Drums66
I thought 0 lash was the Hydraulic valve initial setting? and the majority of 914 push rods are chrome moly? except for Hydraulic(steel)? blink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jan 11 2004, 08:12 AM)
I thought 0 lash was the Hydraulic valve initial setting? and the majority of 914 push rods are chrome moly? except for Hydraulic(steel)? blink.gif

Cr-mo pushrods are after-market, stock Type1 & 4 pushrods are aluminium, except hydro's they are steel.

I've been running 0 lash on Cr-mo pushrods on the hi-po type 1's since the early 90's. I still run .006 on stock engines.

I've never bothered with that tool.
SirAndy
just adjusted mine today to .004 all around.
got some more pull out of it, plus it runs smoother now. mueba.gif

Andy
ChrisReale
Cro-moly doesnt expand like aluminium does when hot. I run my valves at .004 also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.