Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: off topic. for our site.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rufio0205
a friend of mine has a bmw 320i from 1982. he is experiening problems with his engine turning off whilst braking. or idling. any ideas on what this is....vacuum hose, intake, something else?

thanks

Steve Thacker
1.\ Check for a dirty or clogged ISV " Idle stabilizer valve". This can cause a car to not want to idle or to fail returning to a normal idle after lifting your foot off the gas and applying the brake. Best to lay your hand against the valve while the car is running, it should be vibrating. If not check the plug on the unit. If that is ok then replace the unit.

Also if it is vibrating there is a 50-50 chance you can reuse it. Turn off the car and pull the unit. Spray the crap out of the inside with carb cleaner. Then put it back on. Do not pull the power cable out of the unit while the car is running or while the key is in the on position! Don't run the car with the unit unplugged. You could fry the ECU and then you will be really pissed. Good luck !!!

Other items to look into.

2.\ Check fuel pressure regulator

3.\ Check fuel filter
crash914
I would also look at the intake connector boot. I believe that the brake booster connects through this. if you have a vacuum leak, you will kill the motor. they are available from BavAuto..

If he needs half shafts or 4 lug wheels, I have some parts but not the car...
Steve Thacker
agree.gif
rufio0205
hey sweet, thanks for the heads up guys. i am going to take a look at it this week. i really appreciate your input.

thomas
Dr Evil
How much crap does he have on his key chain? I have heard tales of folks with lots o shit on their key chain causing it to be heavy and thus allowing it to rotate the key to OFF when either accelerating or breaking. Odd, but true smile.gif
rufio0205
strangely enough he has 1 ignition key. 1 house key, and 1 office key. his doors dont lock, nor does his trunk...good thing there isn't anything valuable in there smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.