Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deposits and App Group
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Slider
Ok guys im kind of confused. im talking about the depsoits that the 72 and earliers came with. Now was the Deposit a stand alone option or did it come standard with the Apperance Group? my 72 has the apperance group but it doesnt have the deposit. i know im not the original owner but i cant even tell if there was one in there at all.

Also i read that the Appearance group had loop carpeting and not the felt? is this true? because now that i think of it and if i remember right mine has loop carpeting on the door sills but the carpeting on the floor boards and tunnel is the felt. I would double check but my car is currently still at my dads house in CA.

so if anybody got info please tell me so i can clear the cobwebs in my brain in this matter.

1970 Neun vierzehn
Chris,
Forgive me, but, what's a "deposit"?

Paul
jonferns
Paul, im pretty sure he means the early deposit box under the dash, in the place of the later center console. wavey.gif

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
J,
OIC huh.gif

I'd never heard that refered to as a "deposit" before.
That is a good question, however. I've seen early /6s, some with, and some without that feature. I'd wonder what would cause one to have one, and another not. I've always called that a "console", but that's confusing as well 'cause most people think of the "console" as being between the seats. confused24.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Feb 16 2008, 03:42 PM) *

Paul, im pretty sure he means the early deposit box under the dash, in the place of the later center console. wavey.gif

Click to view attachment

Correct! The "deposit" is a mini-console. The thing between the seats, cushioned or not, is a seat.
However, during the 70-72 period, the "appearance group" was a moving target. Some had this, some had that, some had niether. An early 72 app grp 914 is radically different from a late 72.

As a point of reference, my late 72 app grp model has the "deposit", as well as fogs, chrome bumpers, headliner (mousefuzz type), leather wheel, tinted windshiels, loop carpet, sail panel vinyl, center "seat" and retractable belts. However, early 72's were quite different, and many earlier cars did not have the "deposit".

Look for mounting holes to determine if it was originally there.
Pat
Slider
they are right its the center console without the console.. its the deposit. because thats all you can do with it

Ok so its clear as mud now.. mines a late 72 model with all of the app group items that Pat's has. except for the Deposit.

it seems like there is alot of confusion between a center console and a Deposit.

914Sixer
Seems like the deposit would be correct. The console was a 73 Apperance Group item. 72 would not have the wiring in the floor for the guages or the fan switch light.
TedK
Look for mounting holes to determine if it was originally there.
Pat

Anyone know exactly where to look for the telltale mounting holes?
Thanks
Ted K
74914LE
They will be just below the fresh air controls under the dash. It will be two white, square plastic plugs, with a screw hole in the middle. If the hole ever was used, you can tell. I have a window sticker for my 72 that came with a deposit. I will dig it up and see if it is listed.
74914LE
On the window sticker, it is listed as follows:

Appearance Group $300
-Vinyl Covered Roll Bar
-Dual Tone Horn
-Chromed Bumpers
-Fog Lights in Bumpers
-Pile-type carpet
-5 1/2 J x 15 Steel Rims
-165 x 15 Radial Tires
-Leather covered steering wheel
-CONSOLE UNDER DASHBOARD

Also listed is:

Center Arm Rest Console $18

Car was sold to original owner on 4-20-72

Hope that clears up some of the questions, but I am sure it will start more....
TedK
Thanks, I'll go out and check the car tomorrow. The six does not currently have the deposit installed but I never looked for mounting clues. No appearance group or separate console shown on C of A.

Ted K
TedK
QUOTE(74914LE @ Mar 25 2008, 07:57 PM) *

They will be just below the fresh air controls under the dash. It will be two white, square plastic plugs, with a screw hole in the middle.

Are there attachment points on the floor also? Mine has the plugs but nothing else.

Thanks
Ted K
74914LE
The Deposit is secured to the lower dash with two screws passing through
a bracket that is secured with two phillips head bolts to the Deposit. The
base of the Deposit rests on the center tunnel, and has legs on each side
that limit lateral movement when it is in place. I have never seen any sort
of fastener used on the lower part of a Depost.
Johny Blackstain
What's left of my 70/6 deposit-
I have managed to make it work biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 28 2008, 11:02 AM) *

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 28 2008, 11:02 AM) *

Been out of the loop for a couple of days, but have only one question. Why?

I've NEVER sean a six with the center guage "collection".

I hate to say this, but this treatment is NOT original. At the risk of offending several members, this belongs somewhere else.

Remember the original purpose of this forum.

Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 28 2008, 07:54 PM) *

Been out of the loop for a couple of days, but have only one question. Why?

I've NEVER sean a six with the center guage "collection".

I hate to say this, but this treatment is NOT original. At the risk of offending several members, this belongs somewhere else.

Remember the original purpose of this forum.

Pat

Sorry Pat, just having fun biggrin.gif . Don't know if the car originaly came w/ the centre deposit, worthless COA, but a gas gauge had to be added to the car w/ the replacement of the left dash gauge to a VDO/911 oil & temp gauge. Engine is no longer a 2.0 but a 2.7 RS & the gauges were there when I bought it. This is nowhere near original but made to look so "a la resto-mod".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.