Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was this done at the factory?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
championgt1
So I just replaced the lower dash pad and when I took it off I saw this. Is this how it was painted from the factory? I believe the car retains its original color of Olympic blue. I know the car was repainted once but I don't think the color was changed. What do you think?

bye1.gif Jack

Click to view attachment
McMark
Yup. biggrin.gif

I've never seen a car with a matching dash. And yes, they're all 'dusted' with paint. The dash also has the chassis number written on the bottom/inside, and some have the exterior paint color written in german on the top to the left of the gauges.
championgt1
Thanks! This is my first 914 and I was not sure. I figured it was because the color of the car matches the paint code on the karmann badge. Why did they do the underside of the dash this way?
jonferns
Of the 3 914's that I have, they all have the yellow dash.

Heres an example of a yellow dash on a phoenix red car.

Click to view attachment
championgt1
Very interesting. Makes me wonder why they did not just paint it all black confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Feb 17 2008, 06:29 PM) *

Very interesting. Makes me wonder why they did not just paint it all black confused24.gif

me too idea.gif
davep
I'd guess that the panels were painted lightly with whatever leftover paint was available as a anti-rust coating. Then frontal areas that might be visible got the matt-black finish. Using leftover paint for hidden areas saved some cost. Since these panels were painted in a different production area they would not be colour matched to the car body.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 17 2008, 05:20 PM) *

I'd guess that the panels were painted lightly with whatever leftover paint was available as a anti-rust coating. Then frontal areas that might be visible got the matt-black finish. Using leftover paint for hidden areas saved some cost. Since these panels were painted in a different production area they would not be colour matched to the car body.

I suspect you've upon it. Unlike many/most cars, the 914 dash is bolt-in.

Probably would have been produced even in another facility & shipped for final assembly. Any color available would probably have been used for corrosion protection.

Inerestingly, mine is painted (dusted) the same color as the rest of the car.

Probably luck of the draw, though.
Pat
914Sixer
Pat,
You really got the luck of the draw. I have never seen a matching dash in 25 yrs of parting out cars
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 18 2008, 05:55 PM) *

Pat,
You really got the luck of the draw. I have never seen a matching dash in 25 yrs of parting out cars

Porsche been veddy, veddy gut to me!
iamchappy
The rug matched the drapes in my car Signal Orange.
scotty b
this could be another interesting study. Was there any sort of pattern with the dash colors? I'll try and remember to check my cars this weekend. Maybe we could post date codes and dash colors confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 18 2008, 08:21 PM) *

The rug matched the drapes in my car Signal Orange.

Ummm, I hate to tell you this, but they didn't put drapes in Signal Orange 914's.

It was lace curtains!
Pat
championgt1
Pat,

It is interesting that your dash had matching paint spray. To me it does make sense that the dash could come from a different place other than were the body was made. My main question is why not just paint the whole dash black. Why the "overspray" look with the yellow? This may be an answer we will never know!
914Sixer
I picked up a 73 yesterday. Light blue metallic 96 M. Dash was Z-Green.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.