Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DANG IT! There's a jackstand under Dad's Mistress!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
Just had to dig out a jackstand for the RR tire replacement on Dad's Mistress, my 73 all original teener. Put new Michelin Pilots on all 4 corners less than 100 mi. ago, and drove her to Krogers to freshen up the battery charge. Came out to find a shiny nail in the very edge of the tread, and when I pulled it out the tire went flat PRONTO! Did I mention that it was 16 degrees F, and I'm changing the flat in a busy Kroger parking lot? Took it to tire dealer and it has to be replaced, so here's the question- do any of you CSOB's buy road hazzard insurance on your new rubber? This might be my first time to do so-it's $11 per tire for life of tread, which should be a long time on the "Mistress." mad.gif
Joe Ricard
I buy repair plugs.
6 bucks worth last me about a year.

After Katrina we were using a pack a week for 4 cars.

I have plugged nail holes in RX-8 tires, 914 tires E load rated F150 tires
D rated Trailer tires. and a side wall of the trailer tire in an emergency.

All nail holes can be patched from the inside No reason to replace a tire unless the place wants to sell you a new tire AGAIN.
roadster fan
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Feb 17 2008, 10:17 AM) *

All nail holes can be patched from the inside No reason to replace a tire unless the place wants to sell you a new tire AGAIN.

Doesn't it depend on how close to the sidewall the nail hole is. I have heard this discussed before but dont remember all the details. Also, IMHO I would replace the tire if their is any question, especially if you drive it hard. I do not trust 18 year old employee tire shop repairs.

Just my .02

Jim
jesiv
Once I started keeping my cars I buy the insurance. So I don't have to pay for balance, rotation and hazard. If you keep your cars it is a good investment.
ws91420
Tire manufacture guidelines no repair within an inch of the sidewall or in sidewall. Also any repair negates the speed rating of the tire.
Spoke
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Feb 17 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Doesn't it depend on how close to the sidewall the nail hole is.

I had a tire with a hole on the edge of the tread. Took it to 3 places and no one would touch it. They all said that the flex from the sidewall/tread interface causes plugs to give up. Ended up replacing the tire.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jamie @ Feb 17 2008, 09:33 AM) *

so here's the question- do any of you CSOB's buy road hazzard insurance on your new rubber?

my last two sets of street tires came from big-o-tires. both times, it came with a lifetime fix-a-flat and re-balancing whenever i feel like it.

they even fixed 3 (three) nails in the jeep for just $20 even thought i didn't buy the jeep tires from them ...

piratenanner.gif Andy
orthobiz
Now that you know pulling the puncturing object out leads to an immediate flat, you also know that if you come across a knife or screwdriver sticking in someone's chest or leg or something, LEAVE IT IN until you're in the OR!!!!!

biz
Eric_Shea
I have Vanessa take the car in. For some reason it's free for her but $20.00 for me... mad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Feb 19 2008, 08:12 PM) *

Now that you know pulling the puncturing object out leads to an immediate flat, you also know that if you come across a knife or screwdriver sticking in someone's chest or leg or something, LEAVE IT IN until you're in the OR!!!!!

biz

Uhh, thanks biz - I'll remeber that next time someone stabs me with a screwdriver. Shit, I've already stabbed myself with just about everything in the garage. If I'd left everything in I'd look like Scissorhands, with garage materials instead of cutting implements.

Good to hear from you! How goes it woth the "basting bag"? Does it work?
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.