Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
I got around to washing my car yesterday. When I got it back there are spots/ blotches on the paint. It looks like a water stain but it looks like it is under the clear coat. I tried some cleaner/wax/polish but no dice! I can't make it go away and when you look at it from different angles you can't see it. But it is there. Any ideas? mad.gif blink.gif barf.gif confused24.gif

Michael
scotty b
IF it is acid rain the only way to take care of it is to sand the areas neutralize them and repaint. Done it many times for our used car guys. Sux sad.gif If it isn't acid rain it could be the clear is actually seperating in those spots but if it wasn't there before the theft that is pretty unlikely.
porschecb

IF it is acid rain the only way to take care of it is to sand the areas neutralize them and repaint. Done it many times for our used car guys. Sux sad.gif If it isn't acid rain it could be the clear is actually seperating in those spots but if it wasn't there before the theft that is pretty unlikely.

Thanks!! So far it doesn't look good. icon8.gif
ws91420
I have heard clay bar may take care of it. Never tried it myself.
porschecb
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Feb 17 2008, 06:00 PM) *

I have heard clay bar may take care of it. Never tried it myself.

Just ordered some from Amazon! We will see! Thanks!
rick 918-S
how old is your paint? Have you ever sanded and buffed it? The thieves could have spilled something on it. Maybe Coke.
Twystd1
If I had to guess... RickS is right on. Either EGGS, Coke, bird shit or any highly acidic product will create those blurrrs in the paint.

Your resolve will dictated by the paint composition you have. Is your car cleared over base paint? Or do you have a single stage paint on your car?

Claying PROBABLY isn't gunna work those areas down enough to make a difference.
I would think that either wet sanding and/or buffing will either get those opaque splotches out... Or your gunna have to repaint.

Thats my opinion anyway.

C
porschecb
Paint is less than 4 years old. Not really sure of the what and how it was laid on. I should know but the receipt and memory are little faded. The car has only been waxed once and washed twice in four years. (garage queen) It appears that just water drops have been sitting on the paint for mayby 2 or 3 days (it still beeds up). I do know there is a second coat of some kind. Just not sure what. I will call
the paint shop in the AM and will know for sure

Thanks for your help!

Michael
biosurfer1
Michael,

I was a detailer for 3 years and thus, have just about anything you could need. If you still can't get it off, bring it on by anytime and we can try and tackle it.
porschecb
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 17 2008, 09:22 PM) *

Michael,

I was a detailer for 3 years and thus, have just about anything you could need. If you still can't get it off, bring it on by anytime and we can try and tackle it.

Maybe if your in town on 23rd and you come and have lunch you can take a look. I wont try anything before then.

Michael
biosurfer1
no prob, i'll be there
Twise
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I could probably tell you whats going on with some pics...
porschecb
QUOTE(Twise @ Feb 18 2008, 01:33 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I could probably tell you whats going on with some pics...

I tried to take some pics but the flash washes everything out. If fact when you look at the car from one side you see nothing go to the other side and tilt your head just right and then you can see them. The best discription i can give you is that they look just like a light water stain you should be able to take off just spit.

My insurance adjuster told me it was just that and should come up just fine (course i was not the there my wife was). So after some elbow greese with some cleaner/wax/polish no deal. When I washed the car and dried it the spots were on the roof also but they came up with no problem just a little work with a wet rag.

My guess is they parked it under some sort of tree that has something on it and it mixed with water and landed on the car and sat till it dried.

Michael

I will try pics again tonight with diferent light combos and see what i get.
jonat127
Sounds exactly the same problem as I have with my Beetle. Like yours it was repainted about 5 years ago and has spent the last 2 years in the garage except on sunny days. Then one day I was caught out in the rain and the marks appeared.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Don't know why it didn't appear before this as during the previous years I didn't worry about garaging it.
The only way I found to get rid of it is outragiously vigarous cutting and polishing. Last year I was caught out again and had to leave the car outside for several days. In the end I gave up worrying and just left it out in the rain and sun. Miraculously the marks eventually faded away so I reverted to keeping it in the garage and I don't go out in the rain.
So, any advice anyone can give for preventing this happening again would allow me to go out again without fear of the rain.
Jon
porschecb
That would be them!
porschecb
What do you mean by cutting? Some of the spots on the front trunk seem to be going away. But I have low light in the garage. Could this be WTF.gif a sign?
PeeGreen 914
I would try a clay bar in that case. I have been able to get lots of crap out with those.
porschecb
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 18 2008, 09:26 PM) *

I would try a clay bar in that case. I have been able to get lots of crap out with those.

Thanks!! I have some coming from Amazon! I just do not want to trash my paint!

But I have so much insurance coverage I may not care to much.

Michael
PeeGreen 914
Honestly you should just go get the mothers clay bar kit they have at your local auto store. It's $10 and is good for one car. Works very well without doing damage to paint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.