Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why not to street race
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Some underground/roumormill speculation the Crown Vic might have been a cop. Sux anyway

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/8-killed-in-d...216110009990001
Lou W
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 17 2008, 05:50 PM) *

Some underground/roumormill speculation the Crown Vic might have been a cop. Sux anyway

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/8-killed-in-d...216110009990001

Thought the same too.
porschecb
Yea I saw the story also. So lets take the kid and your 61 year old dad out at 3:00 am and watch a street race! Population control by God!
SirAndy
uhm, yeah, great idea, let's go to a public freeway in the middle of the night and just all stand around in the middle of the road ...

i mean, what could possibly go wrong?
confused24.gif Andy
Porcharu
What is 'Legal street racing'? I keep reading and hearing "Illegal street racing" since when has street racing ever been legal? Ever notice that really bad things happen to people very late at night? sad.gif
crash914
Big news here locally...

it happened in St. Mary's county...known for people having relations with their sisters and cousins.
There is also a drag strip not too far away...this never needed to happen...
swl
Sounds like candidates for the Darwin awards.

I kinda doubt the crown vic was a cop. Certainly the 'lights out' story would make you think that but the media would have been all over it doing the research on the driver and the vehicle. Besides - the car had hubcaps. Everyone knows that ghost cars have no hubcaps.

I've always been strongly supportive of organized racing for young people. Take it to the track - do it right - do it safe( r ). Nobody wants a drag strip in their back yard but it sure beats the street.
Sleepin
I would not be suprised if it was a cop. Several cops buy CV's and supercharge them to race in the area. I was stationed in Indian Head from 2000-2003, about 5 miles from this. 210 is well known for late night runs, racing is a huge part of the culture down there! It doesn't matter what age or race you are, racing is a big deal. Easy to say that there was a track near by, Budds Creek (MIR) is 35 miles away and closed for the winter, people get anxious. Sad, but true. The track doesnt change much, a lot of street races are held after the track closes at night...ie: after the track, take it to the street.

I don't advocate street racing, but it won't be stopped.
VaccaRabite
The Ford Crown Victoria that struck the spectators about 3 a.m. had not taken part in the race. The driver told police he was blinded by a cloud of white smoke and debris kicked up by the spinning wheels of two vehicles that had just finished racing.

Steve Swann, 36, who said he witnessed the incident, said there were 200 to 300 spectators. He said the crowd, a mixture of young and old people, had started to gather around midnight.

From yesterdays news (the 17th).

The CV is a favorite around here for the elderly crowd. I admit to reading between the lines here, but I would not be surprised to find out that the driver of the CV could be described as a "geezer." I highly doubt it was a cop.

Maybe its just me, but if I see something strange in the road ahead of me, I slow down. As in "Huh, there is a lot of smoke up there, I best slow down a tad."

I've not seen an confirmation that the car was driving w/o headlights, or that the driver was intoxicated.

Granted, I would not expect to find th road choked with people at 3am, but still. Slow down. Put your high beams on. Do what you need to do to evaluate the road ahead of you.

I see fault on both sides here. This should never have happened. The racers need their drivers permits revoked (if they can be found - someone there will eventually give them up), and the CV driver should be found negligent (or worse if he was drunk).

Zach
scotty b
Nuther one, Mustang split in two

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx...mp;provider=top

SirAndy
alright, now here's a stupid question:

anyone ever noticed that no matter what, when people go off road, they will always hit that one lone utility pole or tree on the side of the road?

what's up with that? seriously ... confused24.gif

you think that people unconsciously aim for whatever obstacle is the largest in their view?

in racing school, they taught us that your car will always go where you look, even in a spin. because your hands follow where you look which makes the car follow where your hands go ...

idea.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 10 2008, 11:30 AM) *

anyone ever noticed that no matter what, when people go off road, they will always hit that one lone utility pole or tree on the side of the road?

you think that people unconsciously aim for whatever obstacle is the largest in their view?

in racing school, they taught us that your car will always go where you look, even in a spin. because your hands follow where you look which makes the car follow where your hands go ...

idea.gif Andy

Target fixation.

You're on your motorcycle, leaned wa-a-a-y over, .......and there's road kill, or a raised sewer lid, and as you focus to change your line and miss it, what happens? You run right over it as you look at it to avoid it. It's often difficult to change intuitive behavior.....sorta like the urge to lift and hit the brakes when your 914 seemingly enters a corner to fast.

Paul
stephenaki
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 10 2008, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 10 2008, 11:30 AM) *

idea.gif Andy

Target fixation.

You're on your motorcycle, leaned wa-a-a-y over, .......and there's road kill, or a raised sewer lid, and as you focus to change your line and miss it, what happens? You run right over it as you look at it to avoid it. It's often difficult to change intuitive behavior.....sorta like the urge to lift and hit the brakes when your 914 seemingly enters a corner to fast.

Paul

Especially true on a motorcycle; I have done it more than once to include during my recent ADAC course. Wound up climbing a dirt hill with my cruiser, thankfully, I had enough control not to drop the bike!
Richard Casto
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 10 2008, 03:30 PM) *

Because all of the other goofs who lost control in that same spot managed to luckly not hit anyone else, missed the pole and just ended up stuck in a ditch. It's only the really bad ones that make the news.

You rarely see this in the news...

"Car full of drunken teenager’s loose control at high speed, de-bead two tires, crunch fender and require tow home. No injuries, but three of the four passengers did spill their beers. Dad grounds driver for month. Film at eleven"

biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ May 11 2008, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 10 2008, 03:30 PM) *

Because all of the other goofs who lost control in that same spot managed to luckly not hit anyone else, missed the pole and just ended up stuck in a ditch. It's only the really bad ones that make the news.

You rarely see this in the news...

"Car full of drunken teenager’s loose control at high speed, de-bead two tires, crunch fender and require tow home. No injuries, but three of the four passengers did spill their beers. Dad grounds driver for month. Film at eleven"

biggrin.gif

Kinda like how Danica Patrick "ran over a pit crew member"

dry.gif News doesn't say " pit crew member steps in front of Danica Patrick as she enters pit area " NOOOO Danica ran the guy down, backed up and pulled forward 3-4 times, got out of the car and kicked him in the nuts then pissed on his face.

Senstionalism attracts attention, gore attractes attention, unfortunately Gore also attracts attention popcorn[1].gif
Allan
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 11 2008, 07:59 AM) *

Danica ran the guy down, backed up and pulled forward 3-4 times, got out of the car and kicked him in the nuts then pissed on his face.

So there was an upside to him getting run over... biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 11 2008, 07:03 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ May 11 2008, 07:59 AM) *

Danica ran the guy down, backed up and pulled forward 3-4 times, got out of the car and kicked him in the nuts then pissed on his face.

So there was an upside to him getting run over... biggrin.gif

Not for us. Unfortunately there were no pics taken of the pissing sad.gif He on the other hand definitely got a happy ending of sorts laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61

Remember folks... this happened at 3:40AM. I can hear the fuching banjos playing now. huh.gif

Darwin was right.
Joe Bob
Kind of extreme, even for a Golden Shower.....but hey, some like it rough.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 11 2008, 09:23 AM) *

Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61

Remember folks... this happened at 3:40AM. I can hear the fuching banjos playing now. huh.gif

Darwin was right.

Darwin was indeed right. I think though he is spinning in his grave wanting to update the theory of evolution. Intellegent people are not breeding. If they are, they have one or two. Idiots who ought to be "selected" are having 18 kids. I call it reverse evolution. Since there are so many of them they are making the news when they do something stupid and get "selected".

I hear Danica was on her cell phone and didn't see the crew chief when she went to park... (oh! was that sexist?)
brer

If they (idiots) are outbreeding you (smarty) then you just might not be the fittest to carry on humanity. Capice?

Get to work man, the fate of humanity is on you and your balls.
Elliot Cannon
I read this morning that Hulk Hogans 17 year old son just got 7 months for illegal street racing. He hit a curb and his friend was badly injured. Think he'll learn from this or just celebrate the fact he only got 7 months in jail?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Feb 17 2008, 10:40 PM) *

What is 'Legal street racing'? I keep reading and hearing "Illegal street racing" since when has street racing ever been legal? Ever notice that really bad things happen to people very late at night? sad.gif

Lots of "legal street racing". Monaco, Long Beach etc. but I get your point.
scotty
Dad just might do Darwin's work on this kid...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/05/05/1209839515331.html

zymurgist
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 11 2008, 01:51 PM) *

Darwin was indeed right. I think though he is spinning in his grave wanting to update the theory of evolution. Intellegent people are not breeding. If they are, they have one or two. Idiots who ought to be "selected" are having 18 kids. I call it reverse evolution.

If you want to see what 500 years of this can cause, check out the film "Idiocracy."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.