Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center console for tall guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BiG bOgGs
I have been driving my 914 (with center console) for less than six months, and have gone back and forth about my feelings towards the center console. Sometimes I like it there to use as a leg rest while cruising along. Other times I think it would be nice to have some extra leg room. What do you guys who have tried both situations think.

I am 6'4", so opinions from guys around that height are best for me, but feel free to add comments for others who are shorter or taller.

Jim
Rand
It's all about your preference. In my opinion. Hah. Hope that doesn't sound like a double positive. tongue.gif

Some people love the classic center console "option" look. Some prefer what feels right to them instead. For some it depends on your car... Was it a "2.0 option package" and does that matter to you? Some like options and packages, and value the factory relevences of those things.

Other don't give a rip about that, and figure you should do what YOU like.

Most fall somewhere in between.

My car had all those cool "2.0 options" but the rust damage negated it all and I've turned it into WHAT I WANT. (And yes, I'll remove my center console in favor of gauges in the dash, and sell my 2.0 classic Fuchs for some cheapass Cookies. tongue.gif ) HAH! Do what YOU like.

Evaluate your car and it's options.... Take it all into consideration. If you should make choices about your car according to values that are important to some rules about the right thing to do with your car and it's options.... Then go that way. If you aren't convicted as such, then JUST DO WHAT YOU LIKE!!

If you aren't sure what you like, then try it both ways. Pull the console out, without committing to removing the gauges and wiring just yet. If you like the feel of it without the console, then rework the wiring and move the gauges up into the dash.
stateofidleness
hate it!
6'1" with a size 14 and theres no room there for my foot/shoe

barely enough room to "swivel" my foot to the brake pedal

definitely for smaller feet
Elliot Cannon
I made this one myself. It allows for plenty of foot room. At leat for my size 10's.
ahdoman
6'4", size 11 - no problem. Oddly enough it's my left foot and leg that gets the most tired and feels cramped on a long freeway drive (not enough shifting).
army dude
Hate it! Removed fan controls and installed gauges in dash!! Also no radio, just engine!! SCHWEET SCHWEET ENGINE!!!

Ian
r_towle
6'2" to many issues with my feet.
I did put the center "bucket" back in place.
It was me knees, getting in and out...

The stock console seems to take up a bit more space at your feet than the bucket does.

Rich
BiG bOgGs
Thanks for all of the replies.

Rand, I will give the temporary removal a trial. I have often wondered about moving the gauges to a pillar pod setup. And I may do that even if I keep the console for other customized "upgrades"

stateofidleness, I feel your pain. I have to be very precise with my foot placement when I have my work boots on.

Eliot, I like the general idea of yours. I may just alter the rear of the enclosure to give more foot room, but keep the stock look up front. Maybe add a little padding where I rest my lower leg against the console.

ahdoman, I know what you mean. I am still learning about the 914, but I am interested in finding a way to massage that area of the foot well to get even just an inch or two more of extension.
start

Ian. Shit dude, you are close. Have I met you at any of the Tamps Bay gettogethers?

r_towle, I have bent my shifter to the passenger side a little and installed a D shaped Momo steering wheel and now I can slide easily in and out of the seat.

At 6'4" I am mostly legs, and was worried that without the console there to act as a leg rest (even thought it can start to ache because of a lack of padding) I would get tired of holding my leg up or lifting it every time I had to shift. So for now I will plan on just testing things in different configurations and see what works best...or least worst. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
jimkelly
no comment either way

here are my two choices

East coaster
I've only driven a couple 914s with the stock console and it drove me nuts with the throttle foot......there just ins't enough room. I've had two cars now with the Amco aftermarket console and there's no space issues with the Amco.

Click to view attachment
x6in6flames6x
amco console huh? do you happen to have a link to where i could find one?
army dude
Yo Big Boggs, I just attended my first Tampa breakfast this month. the last three years I have been in Iraq, so the commute was a weee bit long. I will be at the next one though.

Ian
BiG bOgGs
QUOTE(army dude @ Feb 19 2008, 10:56 AM) *

Yo Big Boggs, I just attended my first Tampa breakfast this month. the last three years I have been in Iraq, so the commute was a weee bit long. I will be at the next one though.

Ian

Assuming no spousal conflicts I will see you there!

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.