Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blacked Out Trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
I've seen several cars on this site and others where the rear trim around the targa bar has been blacken out. Can someone shed some light as to the best way to do this, paint or powder coat?

Is a chemical etch necessary to obtain adhesion?

Thanks
dsmeyer
This trim was Powder Coated almost 20 years ago and it still looks great.
I don't remember how the trim was preped, but I think it was just sanded lightly.
IPB Image
RustyWa
Wow. That looks real good.
Eddie Williams
Dis you also powder the mirrors? if so did you have to take the mirror out? just curious... great looking car. That is exacly how I want mine to look, except silver and no sail vinyl.
campbellcj
That looks damn nice beerchug.gif

I have a set of 16x7 black powder-coated Fuchs and have been wondering if I should redo the trim color scheme... I still think the right combo of phoenix red (dark orange), medium grey, and black could look sweet.
Gint
dsmeyer Posted on Jan 10 2004, 07:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't remember how the trim was preped, but I think it was just sanded lightly.

Very nice. I used to think the trim should be all black or all chrome. But... I've got a scheme cookin in my head to black out the targa trim around the back, the piece along the bottom of the sail panel vinyl, and the rfront and rear seal channels. Basically any of the trim that's next to a large field of black.

Leaving the WS trim, the mirrors, the front wing window/window channel, door handles, mirrors and bumbers chrome.
redshift
I think it looks good on some cars, but in the day, we cried when they started blacking out trim.

I like it shiny silver.

M
dsmeyer
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Jan 11 2004, 01:46 AM)
Did you also powder the mirrors? if so did you have to take the mirror out? just curious... great looking car. That is exacly how I want mine to look, except silver and no sail vinyl.

Yes, the mirrors were powder coated also.

There is a plastic piece around the glass that you pry out to
get the glass out. We had new glass cut for the mirrors by
a glass shop.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(dsmeyer @ Jan 10 2004, 06:28 PM)
IPB Image

Don,
agree.gif your 914 looks GREAT clap56.gif

I really like the look of the Fuchs being the same color as the car.

What color is that? pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.