Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What oranges were options on early cars 70-72
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikeyboy_85
was thinking of respraying my car at some point and its yellow now, but i like the look of the orange that i have seen on early cars....
can someone please post some pics please

michael
GaroldShaffer
Singal Orange - L20E. Here is my 70 after it was repainted last year.
Click to view attachment

Action shot at first solo after paint. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Wes V
I've been researching orange for my project car.

I get my paint at a PPG automotive supply shop (I know the owner).

They had problems getting the mix codes for the older colors for modern paint.

What I've decided to do is use the orange color on 2008 Ford Mustangs. It's ford color U3 and comes up as "Valencia Orange" in the PPG system. (the window sticker calls it "Grabber Orange")

Another orange that is very close in color to the Mustang color is "Orange" on the new limited edition Boxster. Without parking the two cars next to one another (sure not going to happen!), I can't tell the difference in color.

I can get the Ford color in a single stage paint and avoid doing a clear-coat.

Wes V
ChrisFoley
L21E - Tangerine
McMark
There is color information here. Click on the 914 Info section at the top of this page. Click on Color Codes.

Or click here.
TeenerTim
It would be great if someone could post the mix codes for the different colors from the different paint vendors. PPG, Dupont, etc... Sounds like a job for one of the CWs.
jd74914
IIRC the PPG dealer I bought my paint from looked it up with the factory paint code.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 18 2008, 09:55 AM) *

There is color information here. Click on the 914 Info section at the top of this page. Click on Color Codes.

Or click here.

agree.gif no pics there (yet) but all the available color codes for each year ...

Wes V
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 18 2008, 09:55 AM) *

Or click here.

McMark;

I know about that page (very helpful) and went to the paint supplier armed with the name of Nepal Orange and also the color code L20C.

They were able to come up with some information, but it wasn't for a PPG mix. It was for some other manufacturer's material.

As you may know, here in California, the EPA is constantly changing what's allowable, and that makes it difficult to get mix formulas for the new material

Wes
mikeyboy_85
was signal orange an option on 914-6?
Bleyseng
It was a standard color on sixes and fours.
carr914
1970 914-6 Signal Orange but faded
Click to view attachment
carr914
1970 914-6 Yellow & 1971 M-471 Tangerine
Click to view attachment
McMark
QUOTE(Wes V @ Feb 18 2008, 11:54 AM) *

McMark;

I know about that page (very helpful) and went to the paint supplier armed with the name of Nepal Orange and also the color code L20C.

They were able to come up with some information, but it wasn't for a PPG mix. It was for some other manufacturer's material.

As you may know, here in California, the EPA is constantly changing what's allowable, and that makes it difficult to get mix formulas for the new material

Wes

Nepal Orange is also known as Fiesta Orange (to VW people). The PPG code is 2794.
Bleyseng
70 in Tangerine
iamchappy
Signal Orange.. 2 stage

Phoenix Red
mikeyboy_85
anyone got signal orange with positive "PORSCHE" side decals ??

let me see ...
iamchappy
I've been considering doing this.
Downunderman
Signal orange.
effutuo101
Cool! do it!
TeenerTim
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 21 2008, 09:31 AM) *

I've been considering doing this.

DON'T! icon8.gif barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.