Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injector cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I have a sneeky suspicion that my injectors arnt as clean as I would like them to be. I have run my car maybe 250 miles since I started driving it a couple months ago, and It has been running better, and with more power. Im thinking that my injectors where clogged, and that driving it cleaned them. Would I benefit from adding some FI cleaner to my fuel to see if it makes any difference? Any suggestions on which one?

Thanks
Andrew
ChrisReale
I run techron every now and then. Pour it all in, and then fill up the tank fully.
ArtechnikA
check out BG 44K. well-respected among shop owners and gets good reviews in the Audi world. i've used it in the Subaru and my MFI 911. not cheap but good stuff. i used to use Regane once a quarter and the Costco 4-pack version of Techron once a month. the word has been that the Chevron station flavor of Techron is significantly more concentrated and effective than the similarly sized FLAPS version. donno if that's true but it has a ring to it ...
LS6/914
During my days with Chevrolet the 5.7L vortec motor in the trucks & the 4.3L in the astro with central sequential injection had a extreme concern with injector deposits. Uncle "GM" advised us lowly techs to use GM Port Fuel Injector 12345104. Turns out it worked pretty good. Add one bottle to a quarter tank and run it to almost empty. Funny thing when we went to find out what the product actually was it turned out to be relabeled Chevron Techron!! ohmy.gif Anyway I use it in my SAAB & Aerostar.
Andyrew
I'll have to check out BG 44K and Techron. I use Chevron for gas, I'll see what kragen has for this stuff

Thanks
Andrew
mightyohm
I think you're supposed to change your oil after using Techron. Or so the 911 dudes always told me. But you know those guys. wink.gif
airsix
Lots of flavors fo Techron. Get the big expensive one. Dump it in right before you fill up & don't fill up again until you've run that tank almost out. Expect the car to run like crap while you've got the concentrated Techron in it. Expect it to run great after that though. It works. YMMV

-Ben M.
Andyrew
Couldnt I just run put in the techron on like a half empty tank.. and then do some twisties to mix it?

My main question was answered, FI cleaner is good.

Thanks, suggestions on what to use is always helpfull. Thanks guys!

Andrew
redshift
It works because it's heavy.

M
campbellcj
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 10 2004, 07:41 PM)
I think you're supposed to change your oil after using Techron. Or so the 911 dudes always told me. But you know those guys. wink.gif

I think your memory might be off...you're supposed to wax your car and polish your Fuchs after the Techron chatsmiley.gif
LS6/914
It works because it has MTBE, methyltertiarybutylether in it. Also used to remove carbon build up in artillery.
Elliot_Cannon

Hi,
It is suggested that you use techron everytime you change your oil. You don't have to but it is the recommended frequency.
Cheers, Elliot
redshift
The MTBE makes the deposits pourus, and the big molecules stick to it, and drag it off, right?

Seems like sand still works better, seanery told me.

M
LS6/914
For the really large carbon build up in the Audi/Porches we use to use a walnut shell scrub. Labor intensive but worked.
cnavarro
I swear by Redline's fuel injection cleaner. Harder to find than the chevron stuff. If I can't get it, then the expensive techron is my second choice. Do your homework on it- the redline stuff is used by almost all the major and minor oems. Looks like runny atf, but other than that, I haven't seen better stuff. Have used it every 3,000 mi in my 2002 turbo beetle and 1995 Ford Bronco to this day. Usually see a 2-3mpg increase after using the stuff.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Rogue
I had just put a JDM engine in my Miata LE, and it just didn't run nearly as good as the original engine.
On my way to a Track Day I put in the Techron and filled up.
It smoked a bit, but now runs like a scalded ape. laugh.gif
I had tried Seafoam with no improvement.

I ran a bottle thru all my cars, and recommend it.

driving.gif
swood
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 10 2004, 10:23 PM)
The MTBE makes the deposits pourus, and the big molecules stick to it, and drag it off, right?

M

Kind of like Olean, right? pain30.gif
Andyrew
So sand is the way to go right? wink.gif

I'll see what the rice shops have (pepboys, kragen.. lol) for Techron and Redline. I think I'll convince dad to get some for all the cars..

Thanks
Andrew
mightyohm
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 10 2004, 10:20 PM)
I think you're supposed to change your oil after using Techron.  Or so the 911 dudes always told me.  But you know those guys.   wink.gif

Hi,
It is suggested that you use techron everytime you change your oil. You don't have to but it is the recommended frequency.
Cheers, Elliot

I think the reasoning was that it doesn't burn and instead washes down and dilutes the oil. But I have NO clue if any of that is true.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 11 2004, 10:03 PM)
I think the reasoning was that it doesn't burn and instead washes down and dilutes the oil. But I have NO clue if any of that is true.

most of the cleaners have a high proportion of naptha, which is basically just really high-grade gasoline, and it burns just fine. if it's MTBE also no worries - something like 20% of California winter gas is still MTBE. they're phasing it out, but not because it doesn't burn ...
mightyohm
Good to know. Thanks for the info. See, those 911 dudes.
mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.