Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solid Modeling Project...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
Okay, I originally said I was going to start modeling all the parts on my 73 but that got put on hold. But, I got ahold of the SLA machine (friend did) at work and we made this, It's half the scale. What do you think?

* If anyone would like for me to model something, please send me a actual part or drawings with dimensions. PM me.

Click to view attachment
McMark
I think how much for one? wub.gif drooley.gif
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif That's really cool. So are you going to do a five lug fuch?
montoya 73 2.0
Actually I started work on a 5 spoke but I kind of got side tracked on making a type 181 (VW Thing). I get easily sidetracked when it comes to modeling. Some one will say "Hey, Can you do this" and of course I say "Yeah, not a problem"
montoya 73 2.0
Here is the Fuch in model form and the rain catch funnel.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jd74914
Very cool! smile.gif

What program are you modeling in. The pictures look like SolidWorks?
Sleepin
Pretty cool! Minatures for everyone! biggrin.gif
alpha434
Is it really only stereo or is it multiple?

I didn't know they still made stereo!?!
nsr-jamie
oh !! Stereolithiography!! Love it, I need a new printer
Betty
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 18 2008, 10:39 PM) *

agree.gif Seriously!!! How much for one? drooley.gif wub.gif

How long did it take to make? What's it made out of?

...If you can't tell, I don't know jack about what you did or what it takes to make it so I think I'll see what Google has to say about it. type.gif
montoya 73 2.0
mcmark - If things go right, I will be in control ( happy11.gif ) of the printer and then aktion035.gif . We'll see! You'll be the first.

jd74914 - I use Autodesk Inventor.

alpha - It's a 3D printer (Z corp - Zprint 6.2)

betty - took about 7 hours, made of powder & resin.
Eric_Shea
made of powder & resin

So was I back in the 80's... blink.gif
montoya 73 2.0
It's a plaster like powder (ZP250). the thinest layer per pass is .005 thk.
nsr-jamie
I did some rapid prototyping work for a couple of universities here in Japan making some medical models from CT scans and MRI data and we printed up some skulls, knee and hip joints and a jaw. It was scary but fun. The new printers print in full color and are really fast, I 3D printed a 69 camaro in red with some data I got from a friend, very cool toys to have. If you dip them in hot wax for a couple of seconds it gives them a bit of hardness and makes them less proning to chipping...they even sell resins that are now edible but taste very bad. Please print up some other parts and post pics if you can. I would love to have a RP 1:43 914 model if you plan on making them. Cheers
cooltimes
QUOTE(Betty @ Feb 19 2008, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 18 2008, 10:39 PM) *

agree.gif Seriously!!! How much for one? drooley.gif wub.gif

How long did it take to make? What's it made out of?

...If you can't tell, I don't know jack about what you did or what it takes to make it so I think I'll see what Google has to say about it. type.gif

http://www.boedeker.com/sla.htm
montoya 73 2.0
Okay, It's been a long time since I said I was going to do this. Now that I have the time, I am going to try and start again. This is what I have done since September. Slow but steady. Of course I have been doing other things while doing these also. Hopefully I will be purchasing a new Printer that uses ABS plastic when it's released (so they said) in early to mid 2013. Then I'm targeting to get a 3D scanner after the printer!
montoya 73 2.0
I printed these way back when? The 5 spoke is Quarter scale and the 4 Spoke is smaller! confused24.gif biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Love the work! Please do a Mahle gas burner (5 lug) wheel too.
rnellums
the 914 R/C guys may be interested in this for their cars...
LotusJoe
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Feb 18 2008, 09:24 PM) *

Here is the Fuch in model form and the rain catch funnel.
Click to view attachment

If you have the funnel in a STL format I can print them on my 3D printer.
montoya 73 2.0
Let me look for it, That was done years ago and I think that file is on my old computer. If I can't find it, I will model it again. Should only take me an hour or so.
bandjoey
Small parts for real--- 1:1 scale plastic small beerchug.gif parts. What a business you could do.

montoya 73 2.0
Thats what I'm hoping for!
LotusJoe
Thanks to Drew for finding the files. I printed out a couple of funnels on my printer and your drawing was spot on perfect. I'm very happy with the results. Now I guess the questions is there a big enough demand to make a run of them confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

chads74
Very cool!
montoya 73 2.0
is that ABS plastic?
BKLA
Looks like the abs printer.

Cool stuff!!!!!
LotusJoe
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 28 2013, 01:41 PM) *

is that ABS plastic?

Yes, ABS black plastic. I printed it on a makerbot to check for fit and tool path. If I make a bunch I will go to the Fortus industrial printer. Although the ones that I printed would work. They are plenty strong.
LotusJoe
We also just bought a Romer 7 axis laser scanning arm to do rapid prototyping. Cool thing is we can scan an object, clean it up a little and go straight to STL and then print.

Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
I was looking at the new 2 axis makerbot that is to be released this year. I'm also interested in a scanner by 3D3 "Flexscan" that uses white light or they call structured light. Any advice?
LotusJoe
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 29 2013, 11:06 AM) *

I was looking at the new 2 axis makerbot that is to be released this year. I'm also interested in a scanner by 3D3 "Flexscan" that uses white light or they call structured light. Any advice?

We are using Geo magic software with our scanner. For an inexpensive scanner we have also hooked up the XBox Kinects to the software and had good results. I don't have any experience with Flexscan but looks to be decent equipment.

Click to view attachment

Also just ordered the new Replicator II but it has not arrived yet. Hoping for better build quality.

Click to view attachment
I was checking out the availability of the rain funnels, and found them at Auto Atlanta for $14.00, so it doesn't look as though there would be a market to make a run of them. But it was fun to take your drawing and test it out. By the way, nice drawing, we did not have to do anything with it except rotate it to sit on the platform.
montoya 73 2.0
I like that kinect idea. I was only going to use their software not the camera. I was looking at MBII, that has a 8 week lead time. I really want the MB2x.

Thanks, all my models are .stl ready for proto-3Dprinting. I'm buiding a library of parts so when I get the printer I can keep it busy for awhile.
Mikey914
That's pretty much what I've found for many of these parts. There is some cool technology to make one off parts inexpensively, but any time you up the volume the manufacturing cost is the same. One part for $14, is cool. 100 parts, + cost of equipment and other incedentals is $1300+. There is no real economy of scale, but great if you need a part now and have the talent to draw, or can scan a good one.
montoya 73 2.0
I have about 4 hours into this (so far) just by sketching from pictures. When I retrieve a real wheel I will take measurements and revise as needed. The 5 Lug Mahle is a complex wheel, especially the reverse side?!

Click to view attachment
RJMII

[/quote]
We are using Geo magic software with our scanner. For an inexpensive scanner we have also hooked up the XBox Kinects to the software and had good results. I don't have any experience with Flexscan but looks to be decent equipment.

Click to view attachment

[/quote]

that looks like you have a hand held handle for the kinect. are you able to use it as a hand held scanner, and get multiple angles?
ruby914
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Jan 28 2013, 05:49 PM) *

We also just bought a Romer 7 axis laser scanning arm to do rapid prototyping. Cool thing is we can scan an object, clean it up a little and go straight to STL and then print.

Click to view attachment

Can you get your 914 into work and scan the body? driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.