Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! Oil in Bay and Trouble Shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rebelmdot
Good Morning Guru's,

As you see by the date, I am new to this. I started rebuilding a 1976 2.0, and caught the fever so bad I went out and bought two more teeners. One of which is a 1972 1.7 with Carb. I got the car running and have gone for a couple spins. I thought it was ready this a.m. as I finally got a throttle cable issue taken care of, but ran into the following and need your help in diagnosing where to start and what to do.

Could only get into 1st gear while driving this morning and that was rough. This was not the case several days ago when I took it around the block. Gears did not shift like butter then, but could get them in. Where to start on that issue? Car sat for 6 years prior to 3 weeks ago, could pressure plate be rusty and not releasing? Cable issue? Where do I start? Next issue is from back of car facing front. Little oil maybe a table spoon or so is forming on the cooling tin closest to you on right hand side. Couple drips under car as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. I am mechanically challenged, so please be remedial in your responses. Thank you again, this car would not be this far without your help so far. I am at work now, but can take pics of where oil is when I get home.

black73
Not much of a guru, but my guess would be shifter linkage and/or bushings. confused24.gif

The oil could be from valve cover gaskets, push rod tube seals,oil cooler seals,... or all of the above.

Hope this help. Maybe some of the others will weigh in.
rebelmdot
QUOTE(black73 @ Feb 20 2008, 02:56 PM) *

Not much of a guru, but my guess would be shifter linkage and/or bushings. confused24.gif

The oil could be from valve cover gaskets, push rod tube seals,oil cooler seals,... or all of the above.

Hope this help. Maybe some of the others will weigh in.

Thanks, any way to verify linkage or bushing problem? How to fix either after diagnosed. Thanks again.
rick 918-S
Battery side, front of the engine, under the tin is the oil cooler. The "O" rings could be leaking. They are rubber. If the car sat for a long time they could be shot. Check the easy stuff first. Valve covers, push rod tubes, ect.
jr91472
Is this a tailshifter or sideshifter? If it was shifting a few days ago, then it sounds to me like a linkage issue.

do a search on shift linkage and adjustment.

Linkage is pretty easy to disassemble and inspect. Focus on the bushings and the cone screws that connect all the sections of the linkage. If any of these are bad, shifting will be terrible. All in all its a pretty easy and cheap project.

good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.