Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Shipping Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuck
Help! I bought a 3.2 from Craig at Camp914. Now I need help shipping it. Forwardair is quoting me $272+$39 for insurance. However, Craig does not have a way to get it loaded on a truck or trailer to get it to the terminal.

Freightquote.com is quoting me $372+$220 for insurance to use a liftgate truck to pick it up at CAMP and ship it to a terminal here in MN. Any ideas on other alternatives or a way to get it from CAMP to the Forwardair terminal?

Thanks guys!!
Chuck
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Chuck @ Feb 19 2008, 12:51 PM) *

Help! I bought a 3.2 from Craig at Camp914. Now I need help shipping it. Forwardair is quoting me $272+$39 for insurance. However, Craig does not have a way to get it loaded on a truck or trailer to get it to the terminal.

Freightquote.com is quoting me $372+$220 for insurance to use a liftgate truck to pick it up at CAMP and ship it to a terminal here in MN. Any ideas on other alternatives or a way to get it from CAMP to the Forwardair terminal?

Thanks guys!!
Chuck

I just bought an 2.4 engine in AK and had it shipped to Indiana via FedEx freight for $195. Now this was terminal to terminal. I would call them and ask if they have a lift gate service also.
BKLA
Is it crated and ready to go? (I think its the box on a dollie wheels at the camp as I remember.) I have a small utility trailer that I have used to move engines on dollies before (Back and forth to Rothsport.) If it fits on the trailer, I would be happy to assist and drop it off at the terminal in portland - Possibly saturday March 1st. . Between Craig, myself and my son, we should be able to roll it up onto the trailer if it is on wheels.

I'd also be happy to loan the trailer to Craig the next time I'm out at the Camp. :wink:

Email me and cc Craig.
Chuck
QUOTE(BKLA @ Feb 19 2008, 01:08 PM) *

Is it crated and ready to go? (I think its the box on a dollie wheels at the camp as I remember.) I have a small utility trailer that I have used to move engines on dollies before (Back and forth to Rothsport.) If it fits on the trailer, I would be happy to assist and drop it off at the terminal in portland - Possibly saturday March 1st. . Between Craig, myself and my son, we should be able to roll it up onto the trailer if it is on wheels.

I'd also be happy to loan the trailer to Craig the next time I'm out at the Camp. :wink:

Email me and cc Craig.

Brett,

I will shoot you a PM for your e-mail. Yes, it is sitting in a crate at CAMP on a dolly.

Thanks!
Chuck
Chuck
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 19 2008, 01:02 PM) *

Thanks guys!!
Chuck

I just bought an 2.4 engine in AK and had it shipped to Indiana via FedEx freight for $195. Now this was terminal to terminal. I would call them and ask if they have a lift gate service also.

Garold,

I checked FedEx Freight online and they were quoting me $570. blink.gif I wonder if everyone is responding to the new oil prices. confused24.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Chuck @ Feb 19 2008, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 19 2008, 01:02 PM) *

Thanks guys!!
Chuck

Garold,

I checked FedEx Freight online and they were quoting me $570. blink.gif I wonder if everyone is responding to the new oil prices. confused24.gif

CALL THEM. The online said almost the same thing for me.
pete-stevers
i will drive down and help craig out,
but.....
it is coming home with me!
mudfoot76

CALL THEM. The online said almost the same thing for me.

agree.gif

I sent my motor via FedEx freight and the online quote was way out of line with what I was told over the phone. I had them pick it up from my home too. It cost a little more but the convenience was well worth it...
SLITS
While I am a commercial shipper with a load dock and forklifts, I have shipped transmissions and engines.

1.) They must be free of oil.

2.) I strap them to a wooden or plastic pallet using plastic strapping to prevent movement. I then cover them with shrink wrap or cardboard with shrink wrap over it.

3.) I ship it "hold at terminal for pickup".

I know this doesn't help you or Craig, but if you have friends that do a lot of shipping and have a dock the freight rates are discounted heavily (LTL - common carrier. We use SAIA a lot, also Alternative Choices.

Generally, liftgate service from a trucking outfit adds approximately $50 - $100 (my cost) to the shipping. Not all carriers are equipped with liftgate service.

That motor, complete, will weigh in the 400 - 450 lbs with pallet.
Chuck
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 20 2008, 08:14 AM) *

i will drive down and help craig out,
but.....
it is coming home with me!

mad.gif ar15.gif

Don't make me come out there! Do you know how much sweet talking I had to do to get this passsed by the budget committee?

Thanks for all the help guys! One of the many reasons I love this forum. beerchug.gif

Nice to know about the different pricing at FedEx. I will try calling them as well.
Chuck
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 20 2008, 09:02 AM) *

While I am a commercial shipper with a load dock and forklifts, I have shipped transmissions and engines.

1.) They must be free of oil.

2.) I strap them to a wooden or plastic pallet using plastic strapping to prevent movement. I then cover them with shrink wrap or cardboard with shrink wrap over it.

3.) I ship it "hold at terminal for pickup".

I know this doesn't help you or Craig, but if you have friends that do a lot of shipping and have a dock the freight rates are discounted heavily (LTL - common carrier. We use SAIA a lot, also Alternative Choices.

Generally, liftgate service from a trucking outfit adds approximately $50 - $100 (my cost) to the shipping. Not all carriers are equipped with liftgate service.

That motor, complete, will weigh in the 400 - 450 lbs with pallet.

Slits,

Craig has the motor in a wooden crate.
jim912928
Chuck...good to see another 3.2l in the neighborhood...hoping to have mine in by the end of spring (poor motor has just been sitting there patiently waiting on my garage floor!).
SLITS
QUOTE(Chuck @ Feb 20 2008, 02:59 PM) *

Slits,

Hmmmmmm .... not a tree-huggger I see. Now some forest animals are homeless.

poke.gif

biggrin.gif
Chuck
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Feb 20 2008, 04:52 PM) *

Chuck...good to see another 3.2l in the neighborhood...hoping to have mine in by the end of spring (poor motor has just been sitting there patiently waiting on my garage floor!).

Jim,

I've been following your progress. Was hoping I'd find a nice 911 to part like you but, alas, doing it a piece at a time.

My car is currently in the rustoration phase. Probably summer '09 before the car hits the road. Plan is to get the rust cutout, repaired, flares on and in paint this Spring/Summer. Then do the actual 6 install and finish over the following winter/spring.

It would be fun to do a get together. My wife's family is from Wausau and her extended family is from Appleton.

Chuck
Chuck
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 20 2008, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Chuck @ Feb 20 2008, 02:59 PM) *

Slits,

Hmmmmmm .... not a tree-huggger I see. Now some forest animals are homeless.

poke.gif

biggrin.gif

I'd be happy to house a few of them in my freezer. drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.