Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
A couple of weeks ago I had the 914 out on the interstate booking it about 80 and everything was fine when I parked it. That was a couple of weeks ago and today it warmed up to about 45 and so I figured I would take it out for a spin but as usual being cold blooded it started hard and once I did get it started it was quaking and shaking like it had a couple of plug wires that may have come off, so as my mechanic said, if it starts missing and such to take out the jets and blow through the small hole both ways on the side and so I did and it seemed to run a bit better but still is not right. He thinks maybe a plug could have fouled out and just taking it out for a drive it may or may not come out of it or maybe a resistor may have taken a dump or a plug wire could have come off?
He just told me that they start hard when it is cold and I should wait till it warms up more since it is a modified engine with solex cams and modified heads and is more of a racing motor than a stock. In the past it also started hard but once it warmed up it ran fine. He suggested that I pick up one of those cans of air that you blow dust off with and use it to blow out the holes in the jets. It seems to have a strong smell of gas as well. Sure makes me want to put fuel injection on it. I can't remember one time when the varioram injection on the 3.6 did not start every time all the time!! Any other ideas, thoughts, or suggestions of what may be acting up?
rhodyguy
the small cans of compressed air work great. much better than sticking a fuel covered jet in your mouth. are you experiencing a rough idle? does mech note that one or more of the idle/air mixture screws has little or no effect when turned in? i suggest you hold each jet up to a bright light and peer thru it. no light, some sort of obstruction. run the air backwards thru the jet, from the seated end towards the holder end. if debris is plugging it, going thru the sides might not dislodge it. if the problem becomes chronic, you should suspect a fouled tank, tank screen/filter, fuel filter, or loads of crap in the carb bowls. what type of filter are you using?
J P Stein
Not enuff info.
From your clues I know you have Webers & Solex cam(s) so I assume it's a 6 cylinder. What ignition are you running?
If it is I may be of help, but I dunno dick about 4 poopers.
carr914
I take the idle jets out one at a time, pull the jet(stem) off the screw and blow carb cleaner down the stem till cleaner is flowing out both holes. Put the jet back into the screw, don't forget or lose you rubber grommet and reinstall. Should clear things up. Put a BMW fuel filter cannister in line to further keep the crap out of the jets. If the plugs are fouled, thats your next step. I've got a spark plug cleaner that runs off compressed air thats great. Problem is it's so old I don't how long it's going to last and I wish I could find another.

T.C.
rhodyguy
deal with the fuel pressure issue lyle.

k
SGB
Its a vicious cycle-
usually by the time I've got the carbs "balanced", plugs have started to foul and misfire.
Try a new set of plugs, or after it is warm, drive it 60 or 75 miles to really cook the deposits off. If they are too fouled, it won't get better after that and you just need to replace 'em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.