Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper top restoration??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
On the new 74 white car both rubber bumper tops are nice and straight, (not wavey) but the finish is not new anymore. The front looks like it was maybe coated or painted black at one time. Has anyone refinished them with some sort of flexible black paint?? I can't see spending the moeny for new ones, but the rest of the finish on the car is so nice I feel like I need to do something. Ferg
ps 80 inches of snow not 20 miles from where I live fell in the last two days. blink.gif Only got 35 at my house unsure.gif
anthony
I was thinking about doing the same thing. I've seen a 914-6 GT conversion in my area where the fiberglass bumper top was masked off and painted with truck bed liner paint. It looked great. I was thinking of trying the same thing on a very weathered bumper I have. I wonder if anyone has tried it?
Jeffs9146
My 74 bumper tops had black paint on them also! I sanded them down with a power sander and 80 grit paper. It took a few days. Then I switched to 120 & 240 grit and did it again. When all was done it looked good. you can still see some minor stuff but after 4 days of sanding it looked great too me!!

Jeff
Ferg
Jeff after sanding did you seal them in any way?? By your description, the material is consistant the whole way though, that's good news. I will start the sanding process tonight!! Ferg.
Jeffs9146
No I didn't seal them! I just kept sanding with finer grit paper until it looked even.

Don't over do it! Mine were not that bad to start with so I just took down the top layer to remove the paint.

And yes the material is consistant!

Jeff
jdogg
I just redid mine. I sanded them a little, then used spot putty, sanded some more, painted with a flexible paint, more spot putty, sanding and paint, etc. , etc. They came out not too bad, much better than they were. It will be interesting to see if the spot putty will hold up or if it will crack.
TravisNeff
On one of my previous 914's the bumper top was painted/sealed with something. I have seen advertisements for rubber renew or bumper rubber restorer or some sort of crap like that.
914gem
Pledge will make them look nice after you get the paint off
Dave Cawdrey
SOS worked great on my fuel tank rubber bumper things. Then Pledge, Murphy's oil, or Kendall Super Blue wheel bearing grease boldblue.gif
Jeffs9146
how is the sanding comming?
Ferg
how is the sanding comming?

rolleyes.gif
never got started, but this week for sure. Ferg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.