Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garage heat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
A friend recently remodeled a small office and gave me the direct vent propane heater that had been used there. It's an Empire Gravity Direct Vent with a blower and thermostat. Can I just pick a wall and stick it in place with something like this as the cap/vent:

Simpson Dura-Vent

Or do I really need a whole chimney setup for it?

It's a 2 car garage that is decently insulated. I plan on keeping the tstat set to about 50 and bumping it up before I head out to work in the garage. The local propane company will "lease" me a 100lb. tank for free as long as I order 100lbs. of propane a year. I dont see that as an issue as I'll plumb it to the heater and my gas grill. Which brings up the next set of questions, what do I use for propane line? Can I pick it up at Lowes or HomeDepot? Trying to keep the budget down to avoid the dreaded S.S.S. (Screaming Spouse Syndrome).

Any and all advise greatly appreciated!!

My best,
Mike D.
tdgray
As for the cap... yes it is designed to just go through the wall.

As for the propane... not sure if you can hook that up to your grill or not... I would consult your local FP or outdoors company.

Piping... I would assume that black pipe maybe 1/2 or so would do it. That's what my nat gas line is run with.
ejm
Locally propane is plumbed with 3/8 soft copper tubing using flare fittings. The regulated pressure is the same so you can run your grille off the same tank. The gas company should know what you need for permits and inspections. And if its the big company that starts with "O" and ends in "n" be careful, they will screw you down the road.
Sparky
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 20 2008, 05:07 PM) *

Locally propane is plumbed with 3/8 soft copper tubing using flare fittings. The regulated pressure is the same so you can run your grille off the same tank. The gas company should know what you need for permits and inspections. And if its the big company that starts with "O" and ends in "n" be careful, they will screw you down the road.

Thanks Ed! I'll be using Arrow Gas in Oxford. Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and have someone come out and size it up.

My best,
Mike
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I agree with all of the above, is the grill presently Propane or Natural Gas? If it,s natural gas ,the manufactor has diffderent jets for Propane. Also you never have Enough insulation in your garage. Remember it only makes YOU more comfortable. Good Luck Dave slap.gif
Mark Henry
Is it a Simpsons (Heat&Glo) heater? Or is it Napoleon (Continental)?

The DV pipe itself is not interchangeable, but both will fit onto the heater (flange). The Napoleon (continental) is cheaper but if it's a Heat&Glo I'd stick with the correct brand of pipe for insurance purposes.
BTW that's a fairly old style vent

Here it's 3/8 copper but it is certified gas line, not just copper pipe from NAPA.

To do the heater and a B-B-Q you will need to do a ½" black pipe header with separate certified gas shut off valves for each device. This has to be fastened to a wall, with an end through the wall. Then you can use an adaptor to the 3/8" copper.
All connections are flange (or NPT with proper dope), not compression, again that's code here. Pretty sure it is code where you are too.

Also although it is direct vent it is still an open flame, in a garage it must be at least 18" above the ground level, the higher the better. This is because gas fumes sit on the floor.

Edit Empire Gravity Direct Vent, I don't know that brand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.