Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door panel debacle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
Apparently genuine, factory original, vinyl interior door panel material is as unobtainable as an original, early rain tray in concours condition. Even though the material and condition of my original '70 vinyl was excellent, there is not enough good material at the outer edges to properly grasp and stretch the vinyl taut over the new backing board.
Which leaves me with what choices? Original vinyl fitted poorly? Reproduction (about a 90% match)vinyl fitted perfectly. Or (fingers crossed here), a perfect match using leather? As you all know, leather door panels were not fitted to a 1970/4.
Any other alternatives idea.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 20 2008, 07:13 PM) *

Apparently genuine, factory original, vinyl interior door panel material is as unobtainable as an original, early rain tray in concours condition. Even though the material and condition of my original '70 vinyl was excellent, there is not enough good material at the outer edges to properly grasp and stretch the vinyl taut over the new backing board.
Which leaves me with what choices? Original vinyl fitted poorly? Reproduction (about a 90% match)vinyl fitted perfectly. Or (fingers crossed here), a perfect match using leather? As you all know, leather door panels were not fitted to a 1970/4.
Any other alternatives idea.gif

Paul

Well, you could go with something that has a large checked background, like the suit you wore to my house some 15 years ago, and a paisley tie. No, I will not post a copy of that picture.

On the other hand, unless you can find some nice original door panels (have you tried?), I'd go with the repro. Leather would be too noticeable, sorta like that suit.

Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 20 2008, 05:26 PM) *

unless you can find some nice original door panels (have you tried?)
Pat

I'd think the chances of finding anything 38 years old and in perfect condition would be marginal. I mean, why would someone have a 1970 914 that would have a perfect, original interior and part it out? Why would you gut a pristine /4 to make a /6 GT clone? I'd think that I'd set the same very high bar for door panels as you have for your rain tray quest.
Additionally, the dead ends, disappointments and letdowns that I've encountered trying to track down other NLA items (H/E, OEM rockers, hose, etc.) tend to make me want to source the parts new, if possible.
As a followup to the original posting, there is a vendor who is doing some additional searching to come up with a 99% match.

Paul
McMark
We're talking about 'smooth' vinyl right?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2008, 11:12 PM) *

We're talking about 'smooth' vinyl right?

It depends how you define "smooth". Here's a pic of the OEM door panels.

They are smooth in the sense that it's not basketweave, but they're not smooth in the sense that the door vinyl has a very pronounced "grain" in the material.
johannes
I would go for a new vinyl. You can easely find vinyl that looks close to the original. This is what I bought when I rebuilt my headrests.

(Click on the picture to enlarge)
johnc
Click to view attachmentI found a very close replacement at a "JoAnnes" fabric store, the original is on the door panel, the replacement is draped over to compare.
sww914
Have you tried SMS Auto Fabrics in Portland? They pride themselves on being the world's largest auto fabric warehouse. Recently I purchased some 1 year only Tartan plaid for race914's 911 seats. I would have thought that there was no way to get something like that, but I was wrong.
It cost a little more than 10 times what an auto fabric would normally cost. You can send them a sample request right from their website.
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

SMS has supplied quality auto interiors since 1977. We have the world's largest inventory of automobile cloth and vinyl, and can supply auto upholstery for every American car from 1940 through 1990, and more! We also supply exact reproduction door panels for cars from 1950 through the early 1970s.

Whatever your interior need, SMS can help!
boxstr
SMS even has an in-house loom and they will weave whatever pattern you want. They are close to CAMP thats why I use them.
As far a vinyl for a door panel, that should be available in most major cities at automotive upholstery supply houses.
CCL
JeffBowlsby
Call George...you never now what he might have... idea.gif I recently heard he had a an early NOS complete interior interior until someone here bought it... biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
My difficulties with these interior door panels to date have been:

Vendor #1. An absolute outrageous price (and I can't emphasize the outrageous adjective enough.

Vendor #2. They re-did my door panels, kept the very marginal backing boards, and did a terrible job fitting new, non OEM vinyl. They also either lost or discarded my original vinyl. mad.gif Cost? A bit pricey. They have offered to re-do the door panels, still using the iffy backing boards. My confidence there is kinda marginal.

Vendor #3. New everything here, backing boards and vinyl, but can't get an exact match. Price?.....very reasonable.

My difficulty lies in that I've paid vendor #2 for the work, and even though the offer to re-do has been extended, I'm now wary of the quality of the resultant re-work. Additionally, with the original vinyl now missing, the match with the seats can't be guaranteed until the door panels are re-sent, re-upholstered and sent back.

You'll notice I'm not naming names or trying to disparage anyone with this thread. When my car is finally back in my garage, I assure you that all those who have helped with the work and provided parts and service that to date has been exceptional will be noted, thanked and praised. clap56.gif Those who have not shall remain un-named.

It should surprise no one though, that the individuals on this Forum who have helped with moral support, advice, consul, and direction cannot be applauded, thanked and held in high regard enough by me. pray.gif beerchug.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.