Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EGT sensor location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I'm about to re-coat my exhaust and do a little bit of welding work so I figured why not weld on a few EGT 1/8" npt bungs while i'm at it. Does anyone know what the ideal position is for an EGT sensor is? Also which sensor is recommended?
orange914
QUOTE(yarin @ Feb 20 2008, 05:02 PM) *

I'm about to re-coat my exhaust and do a little bit of welding work so I figured why not weld on a few EGT 1/8" npt bungs while i'm at it. Does anyone know what the ideal position is for an EGT sensor is? Also which sensor is recommended?

ford muscle.com (?) recently did a o2 senser comp. on the best wide band

the closer to the head the better, for quick heating and acuracy. you can go down stream but you'll need the more expensive 3 wire units that self heat

geez... sorry i was thinking you said o2 sensor blink.gif
close to the head would be my quess

mike
McMark
Yup, close to the head. I put them near the 90* bend where the exhaust changes direction from downwards to backwards.

I also like the clamp on EGT probes just fine. wink.gif
toon1
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 20 2008, 05:40 PM) *

Yup, close to the head. I put them near the 90* bend where the exhaust changes direction from downwards to backwards.

I also like the clamp on EGT probes just fine. wink.gif

Hey Mark , what ex. temps are you seeing??
Twystd1
I'm with Mark.

I saw a high of 1350 at peak torque for short durations floored going up hill.
(Less than 5 seconds at that temp)
When the engine pulls past peak torque. The temp goes down fast.

Normal driving. 850 - 1200+ going up hill.

Hi EGTs at cruise throttle openings on a flat freeway don't mean much to me. High (percieved) EGTs at cruise won't hurt the engine.
The temps of when the engine is trying to achieve max torque and HP has great meaning to me. (I.E. WOT)

On carbs. 2.5 litre Type IV with 9.5 - 1 static CR and a High RPM cam. Revs to 8K+ no probs.

I also had 1/8 holes in the 90 degree bend below the head as per McMark.

I think Chris-N-Prider now has those headers on his car. Still has the 1/8 holes for the quad EGT probes I think.

Thats my experience. Yours may well be different.

Clayton
McMark
I'm seeing between 40 degrees and 65 degrees.

My car's been sitting... av-943.gif
rhodyguy
these suggestions are for cars with headers, yes? how would one deal with egt sender placement when running ss hes?

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.