Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust heat shield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I saw someone on here getting rid of the exhaust heat shield that's fixed to the rear trunk for weight savings... does anyone know what it actually weights? Doesn't strike me as being remotely heavy. Secondly, is it necessary? My muffler sits right under this shield. Any thoughts?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(yarin @ Feb 20 2008, 08:13 PM) *

I saw someone on here getting rid of the exhaust heat shield that's fixed to the rear trunk for weight savings... does anyone know what it actually weights? Doesn't strike me as being remotely heavy. Secondly, is it necessary? My muffler sits right under this shield. Any thoughts?

I'd say it depends on your use of the car. You won't lose a whole lot of lbs by removing it, but if you're a hardcore DE, race or auto-xer, I'd consider it. But....

If you use your 914 for occasional trips - don't pack any liquor in the rear trunk! It gets hot back there without any additional help!

You're probably looking at about 5 lbs reduction, but the car was engineered for that part in place.

I'd leave it.
Pat
PeeGreen 914
I would cut it out. It really doesn't do much but add weight. I had a thermostate in there just to see what would happen, and the temp didn't even change a whole degree from before and after. I think it was about 5lbs when I took it off. It is really just a pain when you need to do things near there. Removing it gives you that much more room.
yarin
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 20 2008, 11:20 PM) *

I would cut it out. It really doesn't do much but add weight. I had a thermostate in there just to see what would happen, and the temp didn't even change a whole degree from before and after. I think it was about 5lbs when I took it off. It is really just a pain when you need to do things near there. Removing it gives you that much more room.

Ok.. i didn't dig into it, but how do i go about removing the heat shield? are there spot welds to drill out? is it bolted in? I might add some exhaust heat shield fabric up there if i'm worried about heat.

thanks
toon1
It's held in there by 4 little L brakets.

With a sawsall or similar ,sawzall-smiley.gif............

5min. you'll lose 5 lbs! biggrin.gif

brer
I like my heat sheild.
McMark
rolleyes.gif Cutting just to cut? 5lbs is worth, what? 0.0005 seconds at an AX? Sheesh.
jhadler
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2008, 12:01 PM) *

rolleyes.gif Cutting just to cut? 5lbs is worth, what? 0.0005 seconds at an AX? Sheesh.

It's cost-benefit. Just ask Brant, his 914 is ridiculously light, and it's still sporting all steel body panels. It costs next to nothing to loose the 5 lbs that are hanging out at the very rear of the car. the effective change in the overall weight of the car is minimal, but the effect on the polar moment of inertia of the car is more.

edit - if the ONLY thing you're doing is loosing the heat shield, then it's kindof silly. But if it's part of an overall weight reduction plan, it's a good one.

A no-brainer if you ask me... Couple o' spot welds, and it's gone.

-Josh2
RoadGlue
agree.gif with jhadler on this one.
Elliot Cannon
If you're worried about heat in the rear trunk. Spray the underside of the trunk with VHT high temp spray paint. It acts as an insulator.
Cheers, Elliot
burton73
Hot news: My 914-6 did not have one on so George sent me one to put on. A 1970 unit with brackets is 3.5 Lb on the scale with no paint on it. So you guys really do not need to get that high on the big weight loss.

If the factory had one, there must of been a good reason and that is why I am putting one back in.

Bob
McMark
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 21 2008, 12:24 PM) *

agree.gif with jhadler on this one.

agree.gif FOR A RACECAR cool.gif I don't see the point of cutting a street car for no reason.
RoadGlue
agree.gif With McMark on this one.

*snickers*
Brando
It's there for a reason... so your groceries in the trunk don't melt or cook at the furthest back. When sitting in stop-and-go traffic the trunk gets really hot.
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 22 2008, 09:43 AM) *

agree.gif FOR A RACECAR cool.gif I don't see the point of cutting a street car for no reason.

agree.gif
If you're THAT worried about a couple of pounds, maybe it's time to cut down on the burritos... happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
Spoke
I have the one off on my green 914. With Bursch muffler, I haven't noticed that much heat buildup in the trunk. Definitely don't want to bring home chocolate or something or something that will melt in the trunk anyway.

My shield weights much less than 3.5LB because I had it chemically thinned by road salt and debris over a 30+ year period.
yarin
Yes I consider my car a racecar. I rarely drive it on the street, usually tow it to events. The car is lightened; no interior, no trunk/engine hatch springs, no heating parts left, light wheels, etc. I could also use a but more room back there for a new muffler which ironically weighs more than the old one. mad.gif Car was too loud before though. I'll post pics when its all done.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.