Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who's got the 914/6 VIN roster?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
Otis Chandler's old 914/6 is for sale, and I thought somebody might wanna add the number to the list.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/car/580770723.html

The Cap'n
GWN7
Good thing it has a roolbar......... smile.gif
sww914
That guy's a heeluva spller.
Gustl
Otis Chandler once had another "914-6" that I would prefere ...

drooley.gif

TeenerTim
9140432118 is listed on e-bay now. For some reason it wasn't listed in the e-bay motors section. Link
davep
Anyone in the area that can check out these cars?
carr914
That Otis Chandler car will not last long at that price.

T.C.

ps Dave I just bought #673
JeffBowlsby
Glenn Stazak over on Roadglue.com has the 914/6 Registry...
Cap'n Krusty
So let him know ................... The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
Anyone in the area that can check out these cars?

914-6 in Oakdale, CA

I went by Rods house today and looked at the 6 on e-bay!

It is a very clean California 914-6 with a very well running 3.2L in it. There are a few small details with the car but all in all it is one of the cleaner "almost" original 6's out there! It is a GREAT start for a nice easy restore but it does need a lot to be CCW!

The good:
Interior is original and very clean! Even the dash has no cracks and the seats have no tears! I could not find any rust anywhere except the Hell Hole, not even a trace of anything resembling rust! The rockers have never been removed and I could see mud and dirt stuck inside so that I will leave to someone else to figure out! The motor is well maintained and used all the factory stuff except an oil line and the muffler. It is FI and may only have 60K-70K miles on it! He bought a 911 with front damage that had been sitting for 10 years and put the motor in 4 years ago! No smoke and it smelled very clean from the exhaust.

Rod is a very genuin guy and has owned the car since 1991. It was hit on the front drivers side and he didn't know anything about it. The hood has a slight bow and the front does not have the original holes going through it. The door gap on the drivers side also indicates an impact to the front drivers corner. The hell hole looks like it is just starting to poke through to the bottom! I have a photo that I will post later but this is the only spot that I could see that had any signs of rust. It didn't look bad but as you all know, you never know! Behind the passenger seat near the hell hole was modified to fit the fuel pump and could have been done with a bit more class but it doesn't look bad.

For a daily driver it would be a steal at 15.5k and a good buy at 17K I think with the way the $ is now he could get 20K-25K from our friends in Europe if he includes the original 2.0L engine!

It is one of the cleanest unmolested 6's (except the 3.2L engine) with the only repaint on the front to repair the damage.

OK so feel free to post questions and I will try to answer them!

PS: I wish I had bought this one to start my project!!
dave29
Ichecked out the Otis Chandler car. Originally blue,then painted white, now faded silver. Jams,and both trunks still white. Wiring and headlight motors in front trunk painted white. Cracked dash and seats. Gas guage and tach do not work. Needs door panels and some hardware. Roll bar looks to be welded in. tough to tell as it was carpeted. Doors close pretty well however windows pop when rolled up and door is opened. Hit slightly left front corner on bumper guard. Slight distortion on in trunk floor frame.
Hard starting when cold, didn't pull through rpm's well. Needs brakes, to the floor!
Didn't see any undercarriage rust but neede new battery box. Engine compartment very dirty. Well, thats about it.
dave29
davep
Did you get the VIN, body #, paint code or anything else?
dave29
Did I do a no,no? All I checked was the 04 code to make sure it was a real six. Newbie error?
dave29
davep
Not a no-no. It is just very useful to get a few data points when looking at a car. Get the VIN and compare for all locations to be sure they all match ( windshield frame on North American market cars, right fender, Made In Germany tag on right headlight bucket or fuel tank wall on later cars, compliance decal on drivers door latch post, and on the ownership) Get the data from the Karmann badge on the drivers door hinge post; the paint code can tell a lot ( original color, custom color, /4 or /6 in some cases), and the body # ( not on the /6, but look in the front or rear trunk for the body # also, the /6 has a 13xxxx or 13xxxxx body # while the /4 has a xxx9xxx body #). So these three data points alone can reveal an awful lot about the car. The date code from the compliance decal (if present) is useful as are the engine and transmission #'s.

So if you are going to look at a 914 it is very useful to get as many of these data points as possible, and report them to someone such as myself for interpretation. The data goes into a database for comparison purposes, and the interpretation might help you get an unusual version or help you avoid a pieced together clunker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.