Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Grammar and Writing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
the4u2
not worth the time
the4u2
not worth the time
Brando
I dont get it. I see a car with a dented fender, and a donor fender.

Before/after? Details if you're going to blast a vendor publicly.

In actuality, you should handle this in private.
the4u2
not worth the time
the4u2
not worth the time
jasons
Ok I'll bite..... Did you expect them to use the whole fender? As opposed to cutting out the damage, and repairing it with a graft? Because thats what I think I see. They cut your damaged area out and welded in a graft from your extra fender.

jd74914
agree.gif confused24.gif

It seems like a miscommunication based on Yeaman's reputation. Its a hell of a lot more expensive to replace the whole fender. Did you just get what you paid for?

The only questionable issue I see it that the eyebrow is attached with a stainless (looking) bolt. That is an easy thing to fix if you care that much. You should be able to get one rubber plug. Or is it the lack of complete undercoating?
degreeoff
AND I should tell you that unless you paid A LOT OF $$$ thats a good repair that I can see. It is a bitch to get a fender off, unlike the 911 or bugs that just unbolt.
the4u2
not worth the time
degreeoff
welcome.png OK so a wee bit more attn to detail could have been had for $3200 IMHO I would just go back and ask them to fix that, not too much to ask for I believe.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(the4u2 @ Feb 20 2008, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Feb 20 2008, 07:28 PM) *

Ok I'll bite..... Did you expect them to use the whole fender? As opposed to cutting out the damage, and repairing it with a graft? Because thats what I think I see. They cut your damaged area out and welded in a graft from your extra fender.

yes! look at the bondo on the lip??? is this a good job to you $3200

this is my dads car

the paint is nice!!!!

Expecting and telling them to are two different things. I'm no body expert, but bondo is used as a skim coat to smooth out seams lines. Lets see a pictures of the top side of the car after the repair.
boxstr
No it hasn't happened to me.
CCL
the4u2
[not worth the time
Dr Evil
Thats some horrible defect in the paint. You can totally see it dry.gif
the4u2
not worth the time
John
What exactly is the complaint?

Is the issue with the fact that the whole fender was not removed and replaced or is the joint the problem.

I am trying to understand. If the joint is the issue, what would it take to make it acceptable?

To me, I would object to the sheet metal covering the butt joint on the inside of the fender. It looks like there are some spot welds through the fender into the "patch" covering the seam.

I would be afraid that removing the "patch" at this time would require the body work to be redone.

Obviously the work was not discussed up front in enough detail to avoid this situation or there would be no question and we wouldn't be discussing it.

$3,200 seems a bit steep to me, but I do all my own work so what do I know.

Regardless of repair method, there will always be signs of repair work done.

Take it back to them and ask about it and then tell them what you want/wanted and see if they do anything about it. Nobody here will be able to tell you anything better.

The thing I know about body shops:

Fast
Cheap
Good

Pick any two.

Next time get your expectations in writing up front.
LarryR
Scott is a good guy. I would just call him up and work things out.
So +1 on handling things privately.
John
Why wasn't the original fender retained and simply worked on? That would have been the easiest repair to "hide".

roadster fan
Well i will bite too. What did you pay $3200 for? How much did they paint, did they fix any other areas on your car.

Without more details I will side with Yeaman's as they have an impeccable reputation here.

Looking forward to more facts,

Jim
the4u2
QUOTE(John @ Feb 20 2008, 08:10 PM) *

What exactly is the complaint?

Is the issue with the fact that the whole fender was not removed and replaced or is the joint the problem.

I am trying to understand. If the joint is the issue, what would it take to make it acceptable?

To me, I would object to the sheet metal covering the butt joint on the inside of the fender. It looks like there are some spot welds through the fender into the "patch" covering the seam.

I would be afraid that removing the "patch" at this time would require the body work to be redone.

Obviously the work was not discussed up front in enough detail to avoid this situation or there would be no question and we wouldn't be discussing it.

$3,200 seems a bit steep to me, but I do all my own work so what do I know.

Regardless of repair method, there will always be signs of repair work done.

Take it back to them and ask about it and then tell them what you want/wanted and see if they do anything about it. Nobody here will be able to tell you anything better.

The thing I know about body shops:

Fast
Cheap
Good

Pick any two.

Next time get your expectations in writing up front.

YES! YES! YES !YES! YES! YOU! GET IT
joint problem

would object to the sheet metal covering the butt joint on the inside of the fender. It looks like there are some spot welds through the fender into the "patch" covering the seam
YES!

MY thing is I'm a welder and Iknow what it take to do a good job
AND YES i KNOW IT WILL NOT LOOK NEW BUT IT if thay could try?

Brando
If you're a welder, why didnt you do the basic repair yourself, have them do the fine touches? You could have stretched that $3200 a little further, especially since you know what quality of a repair job you were expecting.

I'm not meaning to insult you... I just don't understand why (unless time is the constraint) you would take it to someone else when you could do the perfectionist work?
the4u2
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Feb 20 2008, 08:23 PM) *

Well i will bite too. What did you pay $3200 for? How much did they paint, did they fix any other areas on your car.

Without more details I will side with Yeaman's as they have an impeccable reputation here.

Looking forward to more facts,

Jim

just the fender
but like i said I lke the pant good job

not the welding !!!!!
the4u2
not worth the time
PeeGreen 914
I think this is one of those instances where if you go in and nicely talk to the managers they will work with you on making this right.... resonably. I know from working at a shop for some time that you don;t always have the same level of experience working on all cars. It depends on the job being done. However, most reputable owners will want to try for 100% satisfaction. Go talk to Scott and let him work with you.
the4u2
not worth the time
Cap'n Krusty
The rerapirs appear to be unacceptable to my eye. I've had 2 SC fender grafts done that you couldn't tell if you didn't know they weren't factory, and this just doesn't get it. A LOT less money, too. The Cap'n
EdwardBlume
Scott is a good guy. You should talk to him. He may agree with you or not... but give it a try....
the4u2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 20 2008, 08:59 PM) *

The rerapirs appear to be unacceptable to my eye. I've had 2 SC fender grafts done that you couldn't tell if you didn't know they weren't factory, and this just doesn't get it. A LOT less money, too. The Cap'n

is this place around the SF bay if so can you send me photos of fix
that is quality work I'm look for thanks
the4u2
not worth the time
Twise
Okay hold up a second...

Your insurance company paid $3200.00 for this repair?
You knew that the shop was going to "section" the fender as opposed to a full replacement, and did the insurance company know that?

I am kinda confused on those two points.

I agree with you that this is IMHO butchered, no way this happens at my shop. Under any circumstances. However, I would have written an estimate that would have totaled the car. If this shop was indeed trying to save the car. I can see this as a way to keep the repair cost down, thus saving the car. I think that you should call the shop and speak with Scott. I do not know him and have absolutely no experience with them, but all shops should be given the opportunity to make things right. Even if they were attempting to save the car from becoming a total loss, that finish work is not finished and it is on them to make that happen, even if that means re-spraying it. $3200 is a pretty good chunk of change. I am gonna write this tomorrow when I get in to work, as a full replacement with blends in both directions. I wanna see how much I would have charged for it. We are a very high end shop. Hang in there, I am sure this will be resolved.
McMark
There HAS GOT to be more to this story... I doubt we'll ever get the whole thing...

I'll still promote Scott's work.
roadster fan
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 20 2008, 10:26 PM) *

There HAS GOT to be more to this story... I doubt we'll ever get the whole thing...

I'll still promote Scott's work.

agree.gif Until the whole story is revealed, I will doubt the poster, not the shop. Hopefully Scott Yeaman will chime in, until then I'm out.

Jim
Twise
""Got it. Yeaman didn't touch the inside of the fender. That "strap" was from a previous FIX.

the4u2 asked in another post IF they could fix the shit work done by someone else prior to Yeaman getting the car.

Jeff (who helps run Yeaman Autobody) did not respond to his question when asked if they could repair the inner fenderwell.

The quote was for repairing the TURN SIGNAL BUCKET/area.. NOT fixing the area under the fender.""

Brad posted this on the other site. I think this guy is confused and after reading the other site - and the older post he asks for some assistance in fixing the strap - I am thinking either this guy has really poor communication skills or is just a little shy of a six pack. Anyway - for what its worth - I hate to see any shop get the rap for someone elses poor craftsmanship - based on his older posting on the club - The work under the fender was something he was seeking assistance in repairing. As of now I would have to say that Yeamans did not do that work. We have too many sites....
Wes V
I'm not a real fan of body shops (and know nothing of Yeoman's), but before making any form of opinion, I'd want to see the work order!!!!!

In light of the expectations of most "porsche" owners, I'm surprised that he didn't review the work at various stages, in particular, before it was painted.

Wes
neo914-6
What does Scott say, there's no need to slam anyone on the boards? I'll vouch for Scott's body & paint work he did for my neo914. Scott is not the cheapest but you can expect quality work. He even re-prioritized jobs to get my car done in time for a show. BTW, I hired McMark for all the body welding.

Things to consider:
1. Did you specify your repair (welding) expectations? Many years ago I brought a used fender for an old roadster to a shop and they welded a patch, not the whole fender. I was irate because I "assumed" they would weld in the complete fender.
2. CA body and paint prices are relatively higher
3. SF Peninsula prices are even higher because it's higher cost of living
4. Quality welding work is a premium
5. Body and paint materials prices have crept up over the years
sww914
What did the estimate say?
What did it say?
ConeDodger
I read through this whole thread and I find myself asking one question. It is the same question I find myself asking everytime someone starts a thread PUBLICALLY straining the relationship of a vendor with this community.

Have you talked to Scott?

If not, why not? In general you will find that most of us have no problem with Scott and his shop. He does very good work.

Sorry, But there ought to be a rule that says you don't bash a vendor unless you have mediated the situation with them and still find yourself angry.

Scott is not Stromberg. I know that probably means nothing to you but it does to many others here.
boxstr
agree.gif Rob that makes perfect sense. If you can not resolve an issue with a vendor , Is Yeamans a vendor here or any other 914 site??
Then reveal the problem.
This thread has resolved nothing.
CCL
carr914
I'm with John, I would have just fixed the original. I also would use a Forum as a last resort, you should go the source and have a talk.
jsayre914
How much is the limit from insurance co befor it is a totall loss??
im curious. I cant believe it would be much more than that.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ dry.gif
Randal

Scott is an honorable and great guy.
Go see him and I'm sure you can work it out.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.