Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cigarette Lighter options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
OK, anyone use an aftermarket cigarette/cigar lighter for their car? Since the one I have doesn't work and, from my observation in Italy, is rusted like nobody's business, I need to replace it.

I have seen OE parts offered for about $80 but I'm not sure I want an OE model. Anyone have any experience with this particular item?
degreeoff
Man I dont see why you could'nt just buy a radio shack special made of ABS and stick it in there?
ejm
If you want to maintain stock dash appearance you could wire in one of these and tuck it out of sight when not in use.

stephenaki
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 21 2008, 07:09 AM) *

If you want to maintain stock dash appearance you could wire in one of these and tuck it out of sight when not in use.

Nope, not worried about keeping a stock dash appearance. This kinda gives me an idea of mounting a dual system on a center console though. That would allow for cell phone and GPS simultaneously.

Primary concern is if our cars will have any problems with any of the aftermarket non-Porsche stuff. Thoughts on this? Issue, non-issue?
cobra94563
non-issue. i have an aftermarket with a cap attached (since few people smoke these days!). I noticed the oem plug, did not fit the newer power plugs as well. So I replaced it. It must be a $5 item, but nice quality.
blitZ
You'll lose about 5hp with a non OEM lighter.
stephenaki
QUOTE(blitZ @ Feb 21 2008, 08:00 AM) *

You'll lose about 5hp with a non OEM lighter.

and this would be because....?
Rand
av-943.gif Well, technically I think it's only 4.7HP. laugh.gif

I'm moving mine right and out the bottom of the dash because plugging phone or mp3 player into it, I want the cords more out of the way. And yes, generic parts - It's just a socket and wires.
ClayPerrine
I added one that mounts under the passenger seat, on the rail. I tapped it into the circuit direct off the battery, and put a 30 amp fuse in between it and the power feed wire.

It will let me charge my phone, or run the portable air compressor with the key OFF!

stephenaki
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 21 2008, 10:22 AM) *

av-943.gif Well, technically I think it's only 4.7HP.

What, the power loss or the HP a 1.7L engine generates? biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Radio shack sells a nice power supply socket that fits in the original hole. It's made to be used as a power source, so the plugs fit in well and don't keep losing contact like the lighters. The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
is rusted like nobody's business

You would be surprised at how well it could clean up!

I would take it out and go at it with a wire brush. If the center coil is broken it may be hopeless but if you are only using it for power you can solder a new center piece in and call it a day!

They are very basic units
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.