Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did something really stupid ....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RohJay
Was in a hurry to fit a new set of plugs, and manged to drop one plug.
Now its somewhere on top of the LH Head, out of sight and reach.

Can't seem to get at it through the spark plug opening on the cooling shroud.
Havn't tried yet, but is there any chance of retrieving it from underneath ?

Hoping i won't have to remove the shroud to get at it...
Any and all advice will be most welcome... Thanks
Van
Try to fish it out with a magnet (which will stick to the ground tab or the top).
jasons
Sometimes a magnet will work. I know I have found lost plugs left under the tin by previous owners. I would probably be tempted to do the same. But, try one of those magnets for fetching lost bolts first.
messix
or you could use chop sticks! happy11.gif laugh.gif
Jake Raby
Industrial tweezers work well..

Almost every core we rtear down has at least one spark plug under the cooling tin.. Some have plugs and plug sockets as well...

One had SIX spark plugs and one socket- they killed the engine by obstructing the cooling air.
degreeoff
yep I'd use a telescoping magnet (cheap too) you never know what you may find in there!
jd74914
Mine had 4 plugs and a socket under the tin. laugh.gif

The socket was almost as great a find as the 2 wrenches and a screwdriver under the gas tank. screwy.gif
jsayre914
My First 914 Had a pair of vice grips wedged in front of the cooling fan, nice pair too. biggrin.gif
Brando
the plugs you find under the cooling tin are spares...
jasons
QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 21 2008, 03:03 PM) *

the plugs you find under the cooling tin are spares...

Maybe if you plant a spare plug on each side, your motor will grow 2 extra cylinders.
McMark
I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but a telescoping magnet from your FLAPs should work perfect. BTDT.

laugh.gif
Rand
QUOTE(messix @ Feb 21 2008, 11:54 AM) *

or you could use chop sticks! happy11.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif

That only works when you drop them down the spark plug hole. tongue.gif
BMXerror
That's nothing. When I first got my teener I dropped a 10mm socket and extension somewhere in the engine compartment. I looked and looked and couldn't find it. A few weeks later I started the engine up for the first time as it had been sitting for a while. It started and ran pretty good for a bit, but then it started to struggle, and eventually died. The engine was completely locked up. So we tore the engine down to figure out what the problem was and found the socket and extension jammed in between the fan and the housing. biggrin.gif We resealed the engine, put a new alternator belt on and put it back in the car where it ran good from then on. What's more, I still use the socket and extension.
Mark D.
P.S. I always use a telescoping magnet for you particular problem. Works great!
SGB
I'm sure you could lose enough to mess up cooling, but if it doesn't fish out, I believe I would just buy another plug and try again.
RohJay
Just looked all over the city, no one seems to have the telescoping magnet thing in stock.
Just bought one on eBay, flexible type, but that will take at least 10 days to reach me in Sri Lanka.
In the meantime will try to borrow one from a friendly workshop, hopefully.
Good lesson learnt, about being hasty and careless.
Thanks for the input guys.
slackin' at work
I have used one of those retractable claw thingys
similar to this:

IPB Image

you push the thumb button and out comes a claw at the other end.
purple
Well, i've been lucky mostly because i have a spark plug socket that has a big rubber donut inside it that grips the ceramic part of the plug...that and I tape the socket to the extension with clear packing tape. that's saved my ass so many times, not just on this car but also on my old '89 camry that also you could drop a socket in the head.

That...and this....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.