914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
So guys what would you choose to swap into your 914? idea.gif
purple
Raby 2056 putting dual carbs on it.

nothing like the best!
SirAndy
QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 21 2008, 01:53 PM) *

3.6L 993 motor from a pre vario ram car, like a '95 993 ...

see link in my signature ...
biggrin.gif Andy
McMark
2270 T4. Nothing else works for me.
rick 918-S
The way the type IV is being developed I don't see any reason to do anything but refresh the air cooled engine. The Kit market seems to be making the type IV a very affordable concept. When the Type IV is starting to bump 200 hp and a 180 hp is available as a kit, It almost doesn't make sense to do an average Porsche 6 anymore. Except if your doing an Andy.... aktion035.gif driving.gif

All the water cooled cars cost way more to build than a guy would think. The high CG is very hard to over come. And most of us never really learn to drive the car in the first place.

Did I just post that?... huh.gif
cobra94563
QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 21 2008, 01:53 PM) *

without a budget limit... 993 (bigger is better!)

andy...why pre vario ram vs one with ?
Zaney
Sooooooby!

Subaru 2.5 STi w/ V23 turbo mated with a 5 speed WRX 2WD converted Tranny! driving.gif
Chuck
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 21 2008, 02:54 PM) *

The way the type IV is being developed I don't see any reason to do anything but refresh the air cooled engine. The Kit market seems to be making the type IV a very affordable concept. When the Type IV is starting to bump 200 hp and a 180 hp is available as a kit, It almost doesn't make sense to do an average Porsche 6 anymore. Except if your doing an Andy.... aktion035.gif driving.gif

All the water cooled cars cost way more to build than a guy would think. The high CG is very hard to over come. And most of us never really learn to drive the car in the first place.

Did I just post the?... huh.gif

agree.gif The tipping point between a Raby Type IV and a six (in stock trim) looks to be ~200 hp. At or below 200 hp the Type IV cannot be beat IMHO. If you're looking above 200 hp than a 3.2 or 3.6 (in stock trim) is the way to go IMHO. I'm putting a 3.2 in mine. With a simple chip swap and 914 appropriate headers, should be good for 240-250.

YMMV
Brando
Rational Swap...
hybrid fuel/electric. Small displacement and efficient gas engine on a big generator in the front trunk with Lithium-Ion battery pack, 300hp/tq electric motor in the back (with regenerative capability) on a 6-speed gearbox.

Dream swap...
993tt engine and G50 box.

Most Likely swap...
Subi EJ25 twin turbo on a 901 or 915.
McMark
andy...why pre vario ram vs one with ?

VarioRAM is too tall for the stock engine bay. So you have to get creative to make it fit. wink.gif

Check out this orange car with VarioRAM.
Brando
You can make varioram fit...

The intake system can be turned around. The last 993 engine i helped put together was varioram. Also when mounting your 911 engine mount, you can go lower an inch or so. Depends how you wanna do it!
rusty914
13bTT with dual Boxster radiators biggrin.gif
John
I like the later model 911 air cooled 6-cyl conversions. 3.2, 3.3, 3.6.

I like the 3.3 turbo conversions (like Chappy did).

I'm not entirely sure what my next one will be. I don't think I have the engine yet.

I don't think I would do a V-8 conversion. I know that I won't be doing any more TIV cars. I am and have been in love with the 6 cyl cars for too long.

I love the way they look and the way they sound.

It's just called realizing one's dreams. (and that's been my dream since I saw Miles Collier's 914-6 GT way back in the early 1980s at Mid Ohio).
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 21 2008, 03:43 PM) *

The intake system can be turned around.

still too tall ... you can flip the intake on a pre varioram to have more room for the airfilter, but hight becomes an issue with the later varioram upper intake ...

IMHO, not worth the few measly HP over the '95 engine ...
bye1.gif Andy
degreeoff
How does scotty B say it.......'put a six in that thing, its the right thing to do'

degreeoff
QUOTE(John @ Feb 21 2008, 04:09 PM) *

I am and have been in love with the 6 cyl cars for too long.

I love the way they look and the way they sound.

and how sweet it is!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7w0HeD0EAw

bootyshake.gif pray.gif w00t.gif
BIGKAT_83
I've got three V8 914's now. 1 LS1 and 2 SBC cars. I plan to convert one of the V8 cars to a Subaru 3.3L (230HP) 6cyl engine. Just got back from looking at a 75k mile great running engine that they were asking $500 for. That works out to about $2 a horsepower.
Heres a picture of a install in a 911SC
Click to view attachment
orange914
i'm in the middle of a 2056 and have gone way over budget of what i planned by quite abit. to do a type iv right it really is realitively expensive. dont get me wrong, if thats what you want go for it. i'm o.k. with going this route (verses swap) on our 73 mainly becouse the car is fairly origanal, rust free and my condition holds back major mods. but if your o.k. with changing out and all that comes with that, you can get alot more h.p., reliability and other benifits for your buck.

depends what you want, what you want to spend and how many bloody knuckles ya want beerchug.gif

mike
Eric_Shea
2.5 Six

But... if you're not talking P-Power then I would consider a Suby.

Pretty happy with the P-Power though.
Porcharu
2.5 Subaru and Subaru transmission setup with a close ratio gearset plus LSD. If I ever get paid for a big job I did last year the engine will get forged pistons and good rods plus a Lysholm type supercharger. Should be very interesting.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2008, 09:36 PM) *

2.5 Six

That is what I am going to make beerchug.gif I am getting my hands on a 2.2 very soon. I just don't know if I am going to go with 89mm Ps&Cs or if I should go with 86mm Ps&Cs. Going with 86 would be about 3k in savings unless one of our guys stumbled on some inexpensive 89mm. drunk.gif
hmm? idea.gif im beginning a 2056 project. i have 2.0 heads for also i have a mild street cam i have plans to get into megasquirt fuel injection and i already have a custom high flow exhuast. so i ll see wut it yeilds. im expecting at least 150 hp minimum. any comments on wut you think this engine will yeild? im not sure.
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2008, 02:15 PM) *

hey mcmark. how are the 2270s set up? wut are the bore and strokes on them? also i have heard that stroker motors are not that reliable? crank failures? thats wut i have heard from reliable sources around in my area. but how durable are they?
steven
Justinp71
2.7 CIS.... driving.gif

Thats what I have. lots of power, era correct, and the sixes sound great at 6k rpms. Mine has been really reliable and gets 23 mpg (town and freeway).

I would assume building a 180-200 hp 4 cyl still costs about 60-80% of a six... maybe someone will chime that knows...
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 21 2008, 10:33 PM) *

2.7 CIS.... driving.gif

Thats what I have. lots of power, era correct, and the sixes sound great at 6k rpms. Mine has been really reliable and gets 23 mpg (town and freeway).

I would assume building a 180-200 hp 4 cyl still costs about 60-80% of a six... maybe someone will chime that knows...

about how much does a 2.7 cis conversion cost?
Justinp71
QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 21 2008, 10:38 PM) *

2.7 CIS.... driving.gif

about how much does a 2.7 cis conversion cost?

Well...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=394159

My motor only cost about $2k and I have been running it for 8 years, but it always has been leaking oil , then we spent another $1.5-2k on parts (oil tank, oil Lines, throttle cable, motor mount, fuel lines).

So about $4000, but I've gone back and replaced wear items such as the clutch and chain tensioners.

I guess the key is find an inexpensive good condition six to run.
PeeGreen 914
You can do a dirty conversion for under 5k. A 2.7 with CIS could be nice, but you would need to decide if you really want to go the six route or stay with the four. Once you start to go for a six you start adding stuff that is difficult to un-do... like the correct engine mount and oil tank. I am going for both. I want to finish my six and then I want to buy a four shell to prep it all purdy like to drop a monster Jake Raby engine in it.
dug
I'm not a concourse weenie, but I prefer the motors porsche was using when they made our cars. Small displacement, light weight, mag cases, rev happy motors. I'm going to be building up a 2.4 with 2.2 'S' pistons and mod-solex cams (halfway between E and S). But I'll be using TWM trottles and megasquirt for a modern twist!

Does anyone here have corner weight numbers on their 3.0 or bigger conversion car? How much did it end up weighing?

I'll also be driving my totally stock 1970 1.7L Tangeriner around while I'm building the six. I like em all.

dug
Justinp71
I weighed mine it was at 2250 lbs w/o driver and 1/4 tank of gas.

According to:
http://www.penaltykicker.com/911/data/Weig...20for%20911.xls

The 3.0 is only 21 more lbs, putting it at 2271, with everything in it (seats, door panels and I think a bolt in roll bar)

FYI.. it was a car balance beam scale that sits outside of the sacramento dragstrip, so i'm not sure how accurate it was.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dug @ Feb 22 2008, 02:33 AM) *

Does anyone here have corner weight numbers on their 3.0 or bigger conversion car? How much did it end up weighing?

my car used to be 1950 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas and the 1.7L motor ...

now, i'm just a bit over 2000 lbs with the 3.6L motor ...

not too bad.
shades.gif Andy
pete-stevers
my thoughts on my next car
3.2 short stroke w pmos
no cutting no fandgeling in the engine compartment
and retaining a stock sixish look

i think a raby engine would be my second pick
McMark
QUOTE(749142 @ Feb 21 2008, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 21 2008, 02:15 PM) *

hey mcmark. how are the 2270s set up? wut are the bore and strokes on them? also i have heard that stroker motors are not that reliable? crank failures? thats wut i have heard from reliable sources around in my area. but how durable are they?
steven

78.4 stroke * 96 bore

Apparently they aren't that reliable... unsure.gif
It's all in the combo.® Buy a bunch of mismatched parts and you'll have yourself a peppy little hand grenade. Buy a proven engine kit with the combo DIALED IN and you'll have yourself a long lasting, MONSTER.
Chuck

2.7 CIS.... driving.gif

When I looked at a kit, it was between $5-$7k (depending on what you wanted e.g. 2056, 2270, 2316, carbs, FI, etc.). A Tangerine exhaust added about another $2k. So, about $7-$9k. When done, brand new motor.

I found a 3.2 w/ approximately 4,000 original miles on it for $6k shipped. Figure another $3-$4k for the conversion parts and am at $10k. When done, a used motor (albeit low mileage).

YMMV
J P Stein
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 22 2008, 11:30 AM) *

It's all in the combo.® Buy a bunch of mismatched parts and you'll have yourself a peppy little hand grenade. Buy a proven engine kit with the combo DIALED IN and you'll have yourself a long lasting, MONSTER.

I keep reading this.
Name me 5 people that have a "long lasting monster" in a 914.....let's say 5 years
without a rebuild for long lasting.

popcorn[1].gif
Brando
I got the stock motor in mine. 33 years, running good smile.gif

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 22 2008, 11:47 AM) *

I keep reading this.
Name me 5 people that have a "long lasting monster" in a 914.....let's say 5 years

popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 22 2008, 11:47 AM) *

I keep reading this.

popcorn[1].gif

well had a 2056 for 6 years and 80 thousand miles. but 2056 isnt really that much of a monster. i think ill stick with my 2056 project. at least until the strokers become both more reliable and affordable. biggrin.gif
Justinp71
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 22 2008, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(dug @ Feb 22 2008, 02:33 AM) *

my car used to be 1950 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas and the 1.7L motor ...

now, i'm just a bit over 2000 lbs with the 3.6L motor ...

not too bad.
shades.gif Andy

What have you removed from your car???

BTW: 2000lbs / 300 hp = 6.66 lb/hp <--- Thats pretty damn good (not like you didn't already know)

Another thing I forgot was that my weight was with the old '75 bumpers. Thats probably like 100 lbs...
lotus_65
Money being no object, i'd convert the whole thing to:

Click to view attachment
happy11.gif

PRS914-6
Like Andy I went with a 95 3.6. These are great engines that don't need to be pushed hard to deliver a fast ride. The 95 and earlier non-Vario-Ram engines are OBD-I electronics that do not require a re-flash to operate in our cars. Also, 95 has hydraulic lifters READ: No valve adjusting!. A re-flash for 96-up is about $1000.00 if you go that route and like Andy said the Vario Ram won't fit right anyway.

After going through the entire conversion process my recommendation would be as follows if you go the six route

1. Buy the cheapest engine you can find that's decent and rebuild before installation.
2. Get a 3.2 or a 3.6 with modern electronics.
3. Have a LARGE pocketbook and be patient.

There is a lot more expenses for doing a six and it can easily spiral out of control if you are not careful. Is it worth it? I think so. w00t.gif

BTW, my car weighed 2200 with 1/2 tank of fuel, spare tire and two sacks of concrete on the drivers seat during corner balancing. No effort was made for lightening the car but it has fiberglass bumpers and early light weight doors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.