Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about dealer-installed antennas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jonferns
From what I have read the "original" dealer-installed, fender mount antennas stuck out 8" when fully retracted. The reproduction Hirschmann's fully retract. Anyone here have one of these "original" antennas that they'd like to post a pic of? When the dealers were installing the radios/antennas, did they just reach for whatever was available, or did a certain antenna go with a certain radio? I have a Motorola Sapphire, and am curious as to what the proper antenna would be to accompany it.

Heres a pic of my radio. Plan to install it soon.
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Feb 21 2008, 05:58 PM) *

From what I have read the "original" dealer-installed, fender mount antennas stuck out 8" when fully retracted. The reproduction Hirschmann's fully retract. Anyone here have one of these "original" antennas that they'd like to post a pic of? When the dealers were installing the radios/antennas, did they just reach for whatever was available, or did a certain antenna go with a certain radio? I have a Motorola Sapphire, and am curious as to what the proper antenna would be to accompany it.

Click to view attachment

Jon,

Wish I could offer some input, but since I'm phobic about cutting holes in my 914 I'm clueless (as usual). Someone will pipe in, though.
Pat stirthepot.gif
orange914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Feb 21 2008, 02:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

jon

i was just reading another thread on antennia installation side and brand. you have a 73 right? my sons is a early 73 that was origanally to be sold in europe but sent here, giving it a few oddities. one of which is it had the ant. on the left. i'm not sure of the antennia as mine had been replaced. you have the original radio as i can tell. a saphire XXII?

mike
1970 Neun vierzehn
The attached pic shows the antenna lead (light gray wire) that enters the cowl area from the fenderwell, where the antenna mast was attached. This is on a '70/4. Considering the fact that there was no room from the fenderwell side to drill a hole, and precious little space under the hood, what with the brake reservior, hood spring, etc. to position a power drill, I have always assumed that the hole on the side of the car was designed to be there precisely for connecting the antenna to the radio. I'd wonder if that hole was in that location throughout the 914s production run. idea.gif

As a sidebar, my 914 was delivered new with the exact, same radio as yours, Jonathan.
orange914
hey check this out, you may be interested

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...sspagenameZWDVW

Click to view attachment
McMark
I don't believe that ANY part of the radio installation (or A/C for that matter) is 'standard'. The dealers used whatever they had/could get. There is not a document from Porsche telling them where to drill the holes or what parts to use. So, IMHO, there is no original radio/antenna to find. As long as it's period correct, you're as good as you can get. wink.gif

I am curious to see what people might know about the partially retracting antenna.
70Sixter
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 22 2008, 02:03 AM) *

I don't believe that ANY part of the radio installation (or A/C for that matter) is 'standard'. The dealers used whatever they had/could get. There is not a document from Porsche telling them where to drill the holes or what parts to use. So, IMHO, there is no original radio/antenna to find. As long as it's period correct, you're as good as you can get. wink.gif

I am curious to see what people might know about the partially retracting antenna.

agree.gif My new 1970 914-6 came w/o radio or antenna. I installed a Blaupunkt Frankfurt with a Hirshmann antenna that fully retracted and had a little key to lock it down.

Best of my knowledge period 911s had Hirshmanns. My 70 911 did. So Id suspect most dealers used them. That said, some Porsches were sold by VW or Audi dealers at that that time.
TJB/914
Do a search on antenna's. It's been discussed before.

Here's a photo what they look like installed (driver's side).

Tom
jonferns

This is what I am looking to find out. I'd like to see a pic of one, and if its specific to the sapphire.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 21 2008, 11:56 PM) *

The attached pic shows the antenna lead (light gray wire) that enters the cowl area from the fenderwell, where the antenna mast was attached. This is on a '70/4. Considering the fact that there was no room from the fenderwell side to drill a hole, and precious little space under the hood, what with the brake reservior, hood spring, etc. to position a power drill, I have always assumed that the hole on the side of the car was designed to be there precisely for connecting the antenna to the radio. I'd wonder if that hole was in that location throughout the 914s production run. idea.gif

As a sidebar, my 914 was delivered new with the exact, same radio as yours, Jonathan.

What! No grommet thru the inner fender?
Pat
Pat Garvey
Nicest antenna setup I've seen (though unoriginal) was on Chuck Stoddards "Gronk" 914-6. He had a GT lid on it, with a small hole cut on the left side & a Hirschman installed there. Don't remember exactly, but I think it was a powered unit.

As chicken as I am to drill a hole in a fender, I can't imagine putting a hole in a GT lid. Then again, he did have a ready source of replacements.
Pat

PS: Jon - my 914 is a 72 & it has a Balupunkt Frankfurt in it. Not that it matters, because antennas were not radio model specific as far as I can tell.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2008, 07:54 PM) *

It's in a sealed area. The only thing that can get through are the gas fumes... wink.gif

So, um, why wouldn't want to seal those fumes from the interior. I make enough of my own, as old farts are want to do, and they are just as flammable......wait a minute, should I have myself fitted with a grommet?
Pat

sorry, Friday night humor. But seriously, should I?
smg914
When I ordered my 1973 2 liter I ordered it with an AM/FM radio. When the car arrived and was ready for delivery, the dealer installed the exact same Sapphire radio you show at the beginning of this thread. The antenna the dealer installed was 30" long and non-retractable. My friend Ray with the '74 white/orange LE has the same radio with the same non-retractable antenna.
TJB/914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 22 2008, 09:01 PM) *

When I ordered my 1973 2 liter I ordered it with an AM/FM radio. When the car arrived and was ready for delivery, the dealer installed the exact same Sapphire radio you show at the beginning of this thread. The antenna the dealer installed was 30" long and non-retractable. My friend Ray with the '74 white/orange LE has the same radio with the same non-retractable antenna.

Hi Steve,

Great picture & you sure had long hair years ago. w00t.gif

My guess both the 30" long non-retractable & typical Hirsmann collapsible antenna are correct since this is a dealer installed item. Hirsmann was generally available and used in most installations.

Does anyone agree with my assessment (both are correct as noted)????? Need an opinion with Pat Garvey (CW expert).

Steve: I am wondering if Ray & yourself both purchased your 914's from the same dealer which might explain both cars having 30" non-retractable????

Tom
914Sixer
Here is a copy from a factory kit to drill the hole in the drivers side fender. You could reverse the patter for the other side. I suggest using a unibit drill instead of a hole saw. I can make copies for any one who needs them for a $1. I have to have them printed. Larger than the home copier.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2008, 04:54 PM) *

It's in a sealed area. The only thing that can get through are the gas fumes... wink.gif

Yeah, I've noted that some time ago.

Back to antenna placement, however. The first pic shows what appears to be a "factory installed" hole on the drivers' side for what?.....an antenna lead, right?
The second photo shows the other side of the cowl area beneath the hood....no hole! I'm sure it was dealer discretion as to where to place the antenna, but it seems to me that the drivers' side would be the preferred location to mount the antenna mast.

Paul
TJB/914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 23 2008, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2008, 04:54 PM) *

Yeah, I've noted that some time ago.

Back to antenna placement, however. The first pic shows what appears to be a "factory installed" hole on the drivers' side for what?.....an antenna lead, right?
The second photo shows the other side of the cowl area beneath the hood....no hole! I'm sure it was dealer discretion as to where to place the antenna, but it seems to me that the drivers' side would be the preferred location to mount the antenna mast.

Paul

Paul,

Here's a photo of the correct antenna hole grommet. I know Bowlsby has one & maybe Jeff can give you the part #.

I don't remember if it's still available from Porsche??

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.