Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sure fire pushrod tube seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cwpeden
The topic says it all...I just sick and tired of replacing hard o-rings

I'm not opposed to silicone, but what kind, where and how much?

Pics would help...

Thanks in advance
McMark
Get viton, use Loctite 565 on them.
Cap'n Krusty
Get viton, and use motor oil on 'em. I have a motor apart here right now with over 100K miles and 12 years on the seals, and they're still working fine. The Cap'n
cwpeden
See, i dont understand this... Every year I replace the seals and the ones I get are said to be Viton. The supplier is very reliable. Yet they come out in pieces or break coming off the tube.

No problem with the motor oil though, they are always soaked in it. The problem is they are soaked on both sides! rolleyes.gif
McMark
Heat damage? Got an oil temp sensor in there? Cylinder heat temp?
cwpeden
Nope no heat problems....I'll get new ones and try the PST
Dave_Darling
Make sure there are no sharp edges in the bores they ride in.

Make sure the bent wire retainer is seated on the shoulders of the tubes.

If they're coming out cracked or hardened after a few months, they probably aren't Viton... Viton is very heat resistant, and deals with oil just fine. Most of the Viton PR seals I've seen were brown in color; if yours are red or green they are likely OEM silicone, if black they may be silicone or Viton.

--DD
cwpeden
Yup, they were red.
purple
I have vitons all around and my passenger side is just a pain in the ass.

i'll replace both seals on a tube, and it'll go from leaking at the head, to leaking at the case. friggen annoying. I'm about to put some gasket maker around the things right as i put them in. that would entail dropping the engine

NO WANT!

I had a similar thread to this and mr. Jake Raby was saying vitons are shit and get stuck as you put them in or bunch up. he says to use silicones.

just my two cents
Jake Raby
I never said they were "shit".. All I said was they are NOT a magical remedy to leaks and will not make up for losuy preparation and install procedures.

They are more difficult to install and are just as prone to install damage due to that. Better materials won't trump proper install and preparation.
SGB
Mine leak like a bad diaper because when "professionals" replaced mine, they gouged the cylinder head bores in a couple of locations. Without welding, mine are just gonna leak. After awhile, that smell is kinda reassuring...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.