Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting from single to dual webers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete914
Did a quick search and the only thing that came up was the electrical wiring article which has already been done on the car. Anyway, putting a set of weber idf 40's on my 1.8L. Right now I have a holley single carb on the engine. Do i run two lines ouf the fuel pump?
Anyone know of a good place to read up on this?
Thanks much

Oh, here's a picture of the carbs. You guys might have seen these in the F/S section. They ended up on eBay. What other parts am I going to need besides the bolts for the manifolds? I will need something for the throttle cable to attached somewhere rigid correct? Does the linkage need anything additional? I've actually never seen one of these on a 'teener in person, so I'm a little confused.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Spoke
If you're already running carbs and your fuel pump and pressure regulator are set up properly, just figure out where you want the fuel lines to run, place a T to provide fuel to both carbs. Adjust the pressure regulator to that required by the carbs and drive like hell.
type47
i'm probably not the one who should answer as i removed a set of carbs and installed a D-jet system. anyway, i don't think you run two lines out of the fuel pump, just run a fuel line between the carbs. the system i removed had a pressure regulator so i don't think you modifly the pump, just insure you have enough pressure which should result in enough flow. if i was you, i'd try to find flow rate requirements for the new dual set and make sure the pump can supply that.
SGB
i had a pressure regulator but took it out. it isn'tneccessary if you have a low pressure pump.
purple
I had one fuel like coming from the pump. the other is closed off. I have a T fitting that feeds both carbs.

>=FUEL==T=>====>===carb
................ ||
................ ||
................ ||
................ carb

ignore the periods, i needed them to overcome the forum's text displaying engine

by 'low pressure' pump, SGB means something like a carter (CB) rotary pump. it has an internal regulator that keeps pressure between 3 and 3.5 PSI

using a facet or vibrator fuel pump is NOT GOOD! unless you have a regulator, in which case, you've spent as much as a carter costs.

in other words, use a carter and a T fitting
rhodyguy
in direction of flow. tank, filter, pump (single outlet, like the cb unit mentioned), single line to the engine bay, T in bay with the lines branching to the carbs. you'll need to fab up a STOUT bracket to secure the throttle cable.

k
pete914
Awesome. thanks Everyone. There is a pressure regulator after the pump. However, it doesn't have a psi value. Just 1, 2, 3 or something like that. Perhaps that corresponds to psi though.
I'll take a better look when the weather improves. 38 and raining right now. Lovely.
Can't wait for spring!

yo, type47, how did the installation go? I actually ordered an almost complete d-jet setup (seller thought it was L-jet) thinking I was going to restore the FI. Ended up backing off the project though. I think the dual webers are the answer for now...
rhodyguy
if you're going to use an unregulated fuel pump, and one of the mystery fp regulators, you'll need to install a GOOD, ACURATE, gauge downstream from the regulator prior to the T. more connections, more hassles. why bother? my guess is the gauge will cost as much as the new pump. once the reg is set the gauge is redundant.

k
brer
I responded to these when they were first posted.
Asked to be considered first in line as well.

While the price was a little on the low side, I think its funny how you posted that they were on ebay when I asked if it was from a member here.

Glad you got a fair deal.
Good luck with them.
type47
QUOTE(pete914 @ Feb 22 2008, 01:39 PM) *

yo, type47, how did the installation go?

easy since i was basically swapping motors. the motor that came in the car in my avatar was a "race" motor with carbs so it had a carb pump and carb pump wiring. i swapped in a d-jet motor so i installed the d-jet with the motor out. had to reinstall the FI pump though.

you going to the ECC?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.