Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 market went dry!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
For the past 2 years I would check out evilbay, 914 forums, etc.. for cars for sale. In the last week or so they have been dwindling.

Yesterday I check out ebay and there are 3 914s and the FS forums are mainly WTB threads.

So, where did all the cars go? Makes me glad I found the one I did!
Joe Bob
914, the new 356.....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(356 @ Feb 22 2008, 07:41 PM) *

914, the new 356.....

The Z man is right. By 2015 or sooner a nice original 914-6 will sell for $100K plus. The 4 cylinder cars will climb to where the six and at least the conversion cars are selling... We are consuming parts at a fantastic rate off of marginal cars that are being scrapped.
iamchappy
Wait till Spring, they will come.
degreeoff
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 22 2008, 08:28 PM) *

Wait till Spring, they will come.

agree.gif
914Sixer
Cars are becoming scarce in this part of the country. Any cars I am finding are in the out of the way places that you would least expect to find a Porsche. Texas and California are supossed to be the two largest strongholds.
TINCAN914
Right now people are not spending money on hobbies. The market is dry on a number of non-essential things, before long they will be back.
slackin' at work
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 22 2008, 10:50 PM) *

914, the new 356.....

The Z man is right. By 2015 or sooner a nice original 914-6 will sell for $100K plus. The 4 cylinder cars will climb to where the six and at least the conversion cars are selling... We are consuming parts at a fantastic rate off of marginal cars that are being scrapped.

I *think* there is a bit of sarcasm in there but your comment has got me thinking.

Ive been into aircooled vws for about 18 years. I witnessed the huge increase
in demand of splitwindow bugs... and therefore a HUGE jump in market value.

I fully restored a split in 1996 and and sold it for 8000 which was "up there" for
the time. This past summer, I sold my unrestored (but rustfree) 51 split window
ragtop for the price of a restored original /6.

so in about 10 years they went from just a "cool-old-vw" to a must-have collector car.
don't even get me started on the early vw busses (yikes!)

I personally think the time of year is to blame for the OPs original comments on dried-up market...
but can't help think there may also be other forces at work here. idea.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 22 2008, 07:39 PM) *

For the past 2 years I would check out evilbay, 914 forums, etc.. for cars for sale.

Looking for 914s on ebay may lead you to believe that 914s are becoming more rare to find...which maybe the case as 914sixer pointed out except in areas like CA and Texas.

However...that is not the case if you are looking at the various craigslists across the country...especially in CA, WA, Arizona, and Texas. There isn't a day that goes by that at least 10 914s go up for sale pretty reasonably. It would be much cheaper for someone to buy a semi-restored 914 than to try to restore one themseleves. If I was smart, I would sell my 75 project car for parts that I have collected, and just go out there a buy a nice 914..of course, where's the fun in that.

Even though 914s are being dismantled for parts at an alarming rate...you would think prices would be reasonable due to the flood of parts out there. Maybe it's just my persepective, but it seems part prices are going through the roof...that is for the decent stuff..not the crap.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 23 2008, 05:38 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 22 2008, 10:50 PM) *

914, the new 356.....

I *think* there is a bit of sarcasm in there but your comment has got me thinking.

Ive been into aircooled vws for about 18 years. I witnessed the huge increase
in demand of splitwindow bugs... and therefore a HUGE jump in market value.

I fully restored a split in 1996 and and sold it for 8000 which was "up there" for
the time. This past summer, I sold my unrestored (but rustfree) 51 split window
ragtop for the price of a restored original /6.

so in about 10 years they went from just a "cool-old-vw" to a must-have collector car.
don't even get me started on the early vw busses (yikes!)

I personally think the time of year is to blame for the OPs original comments on dried-up market...
but can't help think there may also be other forces at work here. idea.gif

Nope... No sarcasm. There are market forces at work, no doubt. The boats out of Long Beach are loaded with cars heading for Europe and Asia due to the weak dollar for one. Our economy has been decimated by the war costs for another. Cars that are less than the absolute top of the heap are not being sold because mid-level collectors are not buying anything right now. Much of what was the liquid cash asset driving the price and activity of mid-level collector car sales in the last 5 years was HELOC and that is so dry now the wind blows the dust around.
Lets face it, there were only 100K+ of these cars made to begin with. Only 3K+ were 6 cylinders originally. Before the car was even "collectable" more than half that number was gone. Many of the rest were in need of parts so Darwin took down the marginal portion of the herd and still does.
Speaking as a futurist I am saying that by 2015 a pristine original 914-6 will sell for 100K+... There is no sarcasm intended. Z is exactly right and that is not the first time I have heard him say it.
orthobiz
Last year this time I was finalizing my 914 purchase (thanks TedK!!!!!) I saw Ted selling a pristine 1.8 liter on 914club.com, thought there'd be tons of others out there and I thought I would "hold out" for a 2.0 liter. A week or two later I was freaking out when I saw how few were available, eBay was totally hit or miss, etc. etc. etc. So I nabbed his, what a great decision that was.

But, when Spring came there were a ton more cars available. Wait a bit longer, the winter drought will not last forever. Heck, my car is tucked away in a pressurized bubble and I haven't seen it in weeks!

Unfortunately, I paid so much for mine that I singlehandedly spurred the price inflation you've all noticed in the past year. And it was worth EVERY penny!

But now is a good time to grab one if you don't already have one!

Paul
porschecb
QUOTE(LowGT @ Feb 22 2008, 07:39 PM) *

For the past 2 years I would check out evilbay, 914 forums, etc.. for cars for sale. In the last week or so they have been dwindling.

Yesterday I check out ebay and there are 3 914s and the FS forums are mainly WTB threads.

You might be right! Mine was stolen and they did not want to keep it! Got it back 6 days later. av-943.gif
Rav914
I think all of the previous posts are correct. Increasing value and it just being the winter months.

If you're looking for a car, I bet putting out a "wanted" ad might yield more fruit.

I'm trying to convice my father-in-law to search for and buy a /6 for the previous reasons. He wants a Porsche and not lose $. I see these as the next 69-73 911S.

As for Europe, that will slow down. If you've been reading the Wall Street Journal, their economy is following us pretty closely. In fact their debt:earings percentage is worse than ours.

I too am glad I found a nice one when I did!
grantsfo

I think 914-4 will likely maintain current valuations or decline over the next 5 years. This is a real buyers market now and I'm just waiting for a sub $10K Boxster. I dont think 914 will ever be in same league as 356 from a valuation perspective. Perhaps pristine 914-6 might pull in $50K eventually. 914-4's are probably closer to VW bug or 924 in terms of collectability.

Only thing that is propping up P car valuations now is the fact that our currency has lost so much value against all other currencies and bargin hunters are plucking cars out of the US. I guess if enough 914's left our country that prices could go up, but I suspect 914 isnt on top of the list for buyers in Europe.
Rav914
In today's WSJ.

Luxury cars sales DOWN comparing Jan'07 to Jan'08:

Jaguar - 52%
BMW - 27%
Ferrari - 22%
Porsche - 13%
Land Rover - 17%
grantsfo
Skyrocketing number of repossessions are whats fueling some of the downward pressure on valuations.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2008-0...-repo-man_N.htm
jesiv
I agree now is a good time to buy a 914-6. Anyone have one for sell? PM me if you do!

Regards,

James
So.Cal.914
It's all the saws-all parties...Click to view attachment
Ferg
I think this is the worst time of the year to sell a car period.

Right before taxes are due, Xmas and travel bills may still be in some households mix...

The only thing I have noticed is a lack of Quality cars. The 914's that I have sales figures on in the last six months have gone nowhere but up still.

I think come April and May, things will turn around again.

Ferg smile.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 23 2008, 05:57 PM) *

Right before taxes are due, Xmas and travel bills may still be in some households mix...

Ferg smile.gif

agree.gif
Pat Garvey
I think what many of you are missing is that we are in a recession in this country. Remember what I just said, because the gov't will announce it in the next 2 months, but they will hint that it has just started. Wrong, started couple of months ago, but the Fed is afraid we'll all kill ourselves if they announce it. It's a RECESSION, not a depression. They typically last 9 months & happen with regularity. By the time the Fed "announces" it, it'll be more than half over. We won't all go into bankruptcy because of it.

People pull back on discretionary spending when they fear for their finances, usually because they have spent too much. Hint - don't ever put youself in that position!

I don't think the 914 market is suffering at all. May not have its usual volume, but it's doing well. I also don't think that every 914 is going to EurAsia from the states. Just think that those folks saw a chance a few bargains. The economy of those nations follows ours, so it will halt soon.

If not, I have an original owner 72 914 with 67k miles on it. About as perfect and original as they come. Available to the ROW buyers for $32K, shipping included. Any offers?
Ray Warren
This one will be for sale at the end of March.
Click to view attachment
LarryR
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 23 2008, 05:57 PM) *

The only thing I have noticed is a lack of Quality cars. The 914's that I have sales figures on in the last six months have gone nowhere but up still.

I think come April and May, things will turn around again.

Ferg smile.gif

agree.gif It is very hard to find a good solid chasis. In a lot of cases ... if having someone else fix the rust it is easy to spend more on rust repair than you did for the car. I gave 1700 for my 75, then 2K for a roll cage, then ~2400 to have all the rust and A/C damage fixed.

It is always cheaper to by a finished car but +1 on where is the fun in that beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
I found one:

1972 Porsche 914

Re-chromed bumpers

Re-chromed Mahle wheels

New tires (only flat on the bottom)

New Paint

Original interior

Euro lenses

A few imperfection's that should rub out

$50.00 invested

Sale Price $49.95

Click to view attachment

Thanks Jeff Bowlsby... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 23 2008, 12:37 PM) *

Perhaps pristine 914-6 might pull in $50K eventually.

they're already getting close ...

this one fetched well over $30k last year:

IPB Image

shades.gif Andy
Rav914
I'm not surprised. It looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Beautiful car.
Lou W
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 23 2008, 02:37 PM) *

I dont think 914 will ever be in same league as 356 from a valuation perspective. Perhaps pristine 914-6 might pull in $50K eventually.

This one sold for more than that. These cars will continue to increase smile.gif
Jon Pletcher
And now we have the Exec. Director of PCA publishing his buying experiance in Panorama. Regardless of our Countries current economic status, these cars are going to climb in price. With the storage room I've got I'm considering buying titled 914 "basket cases" for speculation. Invest $10k now in the Dow and $10k in rusto's and see what brings back the most money in 10 yrs. Beside the money, who wouldn't want 20 teeners to reflect on, more than they'd want to check the stock quotes? biggrin.gif
GWN7
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 23 2008, 06:20 PM) *

If not, I have an original owner 72 914 with 67k miles on it. About as perfect and original as they come. Available to the ROW buyers for $32K, shipping included. Any offers?

I'd buy it but it needs a rain tray to be worth that much biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.