Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on Broken Brake Caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AgPete139
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding my next move. I started opening up the front end suspension, steering and braking. I have already purchased front brake rebuild kits, brake lines, and a couple other things.

I was able to disassemble the driver caliper just fine, with seized pistons and all. On the passenger side, I was able to remove 3 of the 4 bolts (T-45) & 13mm nuts. The last one I sprayed w/ PB Blaster, heated, and tried to remove. It remained stuck, so I decided to take it to an auto repair shop that specializes in commercial trucks and brakes.

I talked to him and explained what to do, and as a last resort to notch the top of the nut (to split the hex in half) and then lightly punch out/unthread. He came back about 15 minutes later with it removed, but w8ith a piece chipped off. headbang.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I was so pissed when the guy came back to me with the part. What should I do now? I don't know about the structural rigidity of the brake now, seeing as how the pin that holds the pads has chipped. The pin still stays in place, but I don't want it to break further down the road. The part appears to be cast, and welding is not even an option (I wouldn't want to do that anyways). I also believe that this is an "M-type" caliper (not S or A), found on 911T & 914/6 from 1969 -1974. <----- Verify this please.

I would like to replace this with an original part. Where could I look for one for a reasonable price? I doubt I can buy 1/2 of a passenger brake caliper, but would I have to buy a pair of front calipers instead of just a single? Eric Shea, do you sell a single right front caliper? pray.gif

I would still like to do the rebuild myself. The driver side caliper is split and was ready to be bead-blasted, but now I have a problem with this caliper. I am going to a Porsche private "junkyard" where a guy has several parts cars of 911, 924, & 944s. driving.gif

Has this ever happened to someone before (going to get a job done, and they've messed things up)?

Gr....still fizzling from earlier today. mad.gif

This is almost how I feel (Note: I'm the sheep, unfortunately). sheeplove.gif

Pete
Eric_Shea
Yeah... he boofed ya.

OK, where do we start?

That's an M-Caliper for sure. Garden variety so... you're good there. We might be able to hook you up. Let me make a PM or two. I know someone who might have only one... wait a minute, that's a passengers side caliper, NOPE. I'll look around and see what we can dig up.

The stuck nut has happened before. For future reference and for those reading along at home; here's what I do:

First of all I use Ribe as the Torx will eventually strip in that situation. I apply "tons" of heat using a MAPP torch. In 99.999999% of the 8M hardware situations like this, it comes loose. If it doesn't I use a Dremel with a carbide cut-off wheel. I cut "straigt down" across the top of the nut VERY CAREFULLY watching where the wheel is cutting. As it approaches the caliper surface (imagine a power miter coming down) I stop. The cut does not have to be complete/100% across the top or through the nut. Position the blade so the deepest part of the arc cuts the outermost portion of the nut as close to completely through as possible. I then take a very sharp cold chisel and finish the job. Position the chisel again, from the top, and hammer down. The nut will split and the remaining piece on the fastener will either shear off or it can be pinched together to remove the bolt. There will be no damage to the caliper whatsoever. This clown "cut you mang".

Don't worry or be pissed any longer... jerks like that are never worth the stress. We'll get you hooked up again. You will be best to get another caliper 1/2 and see if monkey-boy would be so kind as to pay for it... confused24.gif Because; it will be difficult to find one fastener, although... I do have new stuff if you need it.

Anyway, get some sleep. wink.gif

Ohhhhhhhhh Slitsie-Pooh... Clean up on Aisle #3
AgPete139

piratenanner.gif Thanks Eric, made me feel better already. Yea, I heated it, and did exactly what was said in the other thread (minus using the Ribe bit, but the Torx was coming off easily.) I suggested he cut down, but it's obvious he cut across and THEN down. I got the nut pieces back). *sighs* It's not a "Shea" job. confused24.gif

I actually had a Porsche + VW junkyard visit planned for this week with a buddy, but I will hold off on buying anything. I'll tkae pics if I spot anything worthwhile. *thumbs up*

Thanks for you help!

Peter
davep
The proper bit to use is the Ribe. They never used a Torx fastener on our cars, and they do not fit properly. I have managed to break a few Ribe bits in stubborn bolts, so I am thankful I have a good supplier of the bits.

Most early 911 & 912 (1969 through 1974) have that or a similar caliper, the 912 may not have the spacers and longer bolts, but the castings are the same.

If you are out looking for a spare, keep an eye out for some 911 rear (vented rotor) calipers, I am looking for a few, or at least parts from them, so crap calipers would be okay in general.
SLITS
Slits here ..... I'll send Ron out to the warehouse on Monday to see if I have a couple hundred "M" calipers laying around and post back what I find.

I'd go myself, but my time is so expensive so I'll send the slave.

"M" .... that's the one with 5" spacing right? It's an aggie joke. av-943.gif

Oh, and AgPete139 .... send me a PM with your address and I'll try to get one on the way to you before Wednesday.
Eric_Shea
Pete,

I should have been a bit more clear. Dave is spot on, any passengers side caliper from 66-76 911 will have the exact part you need (If they're steel. If you hit the junkyard and find some aluminium ones let me know...) biggrin.gif You just need that 1/2 with the ears and they're the same from the solid rotor cars through the vented rotor cars. The only thing that changed was the spacers and the length of the fasteners.

Don't worry about the fasteners if it's an early one (without spacers and with shorter fasteners). I believe I have an extra to make up for the one Bozo chewed up for you. If it's a junkyard find, I wouldn't pay any more than $25.00 for it.

That Ron guy is such a nice guy... I should have PM'd him in the first place! Now we have SLITS to contend with! dry.gif

biggrin.gif
AgPete139
Oh Slits! I'm surprised that even Californians are smart enough to understand Aggie jokes. chair.gif jk Perhaps it's all that thin Mountain air doesn't allow your brain the proper oxygen... bootyshake.gif

Oh, and I sent ya a PM! smile.gif

Dave, I looked for the vented calipers and the guy said that he would not part out that particular 911. He's selling the whole shell. I asked him how much the caliper from a '69 911T (parts) was, and he said $150. Yes, that IS a triple digit for one M caliper. He's nuts, borderline senile and rude...a lil crazy on the "I love My Priceless Trash" train. He won't be getting my business anytime soon...

And Eric, the bolts are staggered, er, rather there are 2 pairs of different lengths. And thank you for the ballpark number to look out for...I saw early 914 calipers (VW) go on Evilbay for $45 with extra hardware.

Pete

Eric_Shea
I sell them for less than $150.00 each and their like new. biggrin.gif

Seriously, $50-75 for a "pair" of M-caliper "junkyard" cores is all I'd pay. They've been sitting for ??? w/o fluid and will take a tremendous amount of work to get the pistons out etc.

Yeah... the fasteners are 55mm and 60mm long. If you end up with an early M-caliper, it looks like you'll need the 60mm. Early M-calipers (solid rotor 911's) have 45mm and 50mm fasteners.

I have a pair of gold Wide M-Calipers if you decide to go another route. Sounds like you're looking to build them yourself though. wink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(AgPete139 @ Feb 24 2008, 02:14 AM) *

Oh Slits! I'm surprised that even Californians are smart enough to understand Aggie jokes. chair.gif jk Perhaps it's all that thin Mountain air doesn't allow your brain the proper oxygen... bootyshake.gif

Pete

I lived in Juston for 5 years and covered Tejas / Okiehoma. Been to Bryan - College Station one to many times. In-breeding scared me.

Now for the corn meat .... couple of images:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now, the ball is in your court .... swing away and PM me an address. If I have to PM you the cost soars. smile.gif
AgPete139
Awesome! That's correct....sending you a PM....

Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.