Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: backdating bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
I have searched the forums and cant find answers tot he following:
what size bolts/ studs do you use to attach the bumpers to the car?

where do the fog lights attach to?

any pics would be great.

I have a 75 and have taken the old bumper off, ground off the lips, have dogbones, bought camp914 round foglights, but cant figure out where they attach to .
thanks
blitZ
The fog lights will mount to the front face of the car. You'll want to get your bumpers on first, so you can get the lights lined up in the grill. I did this to my 76, very worthwhile.
mattp
how and where did you mount them? What size bolts did you use to mount the bumpers?
jim_hoyland
This will answer several of your questions:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0bones&st=0
mattp
I've read that one, but it never mentions where the lights bolt on or the size of the bolts
jim_hoyland
Camp914.com has a kit for that. You may want to contact Craig aka boxster
jk76.914
Bolts are M8-1.25. I'm using 60mm long on mine (converted '76). I used stainless steel. If you want, I'll send you 8 bolts for the postage, along with stainless washers. It was cheaper for me to buy 50 than 10 when I was collecting parts for the conversion.

Here's my '76 conversion- no valances or rocker panels yet-
Click to view attachment
mattp
hey, great, send me the bolts and washers! sent a PM
Do you attach the bumper tops before or after mounting the bumpers to the car and where did youattach the lights?
Matt
jk76.914
Got the PM. I'll put them in the mail Monday.

I attached the tops before I attached the bumpers. I used M6 self-locking stainless nuts with stainless flat washers.

Fog lights are currently attached with body bolts- like a big sheet metal screw. I'm going to pull the front bumber off and reattach using a captive nut of some sort this spring. Horns attach inboard of the two lights the same way I think.

Tricky parts of the changeover? Well, I guess aligning everything, and especially centering the bumpers so the overhang on each side is identical. The holes are a bit oversize to allow a bit of shifting around. I think I had to drag the holes in the rear horizontally to allow sideways centering..... It's been a couple of years so I'm a bit fuzzy...

Also the wiring- horns, foglights, and rear license plate lights are all different and took some thought and misc grommets. It looks factory, but would never pass any kind of concours- but then again, it's a '76 with '72 bumpers so who cares?

There are also some big holes where the '76 bumper shock absorbers stuck through. When the body guy did the flares, he filled these in with steel.

Oh, and on the rear bumper, there's a tab welded to the body in the dead center. I think I saw photos of stock 70-74's, and the tab was slotted to accept the center stud coming down from the bumper pad. On mine, the body shop welded a thicker tab than stock, and with a round hole. I had to enlarge the hole, and drag it a bit to get a good fit.

Every time you drag or enlarge a hole, paint it! I used POR15, and let it go until the next weekend to harden, and then finished the assembly job.

more pics- first pic you can see holes for the bumper shocks that I was talking about. Second pic is after filling them, and you can see the tab just beneath the rear trunk lock hole. You can also see the bumper bolt holes for the new bumper. The bottom one goes in that raised pedestal, same as in the front. Last pic is the front of the car today-
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
AZ914
Regarding the big bumper-shock holes left. The rears are not too big a deal, because they are just open to the underside of the car. However, the fronts open into the trunk area and need to be either welded shut or blocked. I purchased a set of 'Engman' block off plates, sold by fellow member Engman. Look in the 'Members Vendors' section for those.

Regarding the foglights, if you bought the Camp914 ones, he may have given you the proper brackets, otherwise you need to create some sort of spacer. All you can do is line them up, once the bumpers/grills are on, and mark the hole and go for it.
Rav914
Jim Kelly, nice looking car.
Cevan
QUOTE(mattp @ Feb 23 2008, 01:03 PM) *

I have searched the forums and cant find answers tot he following:
what size bolts/ studs do you use to attach the bumpers to the car?

where do the fog lights attach to?

any pics would be great.

I have a 75 and have taken the old bumper off, ground off the lips, have dogbones, bought camp914 round foglights, but cant figure out where they attach to .
thanks

My '75 with backdated bumpers have the Camp914 driving lights attached to the front valence.
boxstr
Take one of your bumper bolts to the hardware store and ask them to give you 8 studs that matchh the thread and pitch of the bolts. Then get stainless nuts and washers.
Matt I sent you pics of the mounting hole for the fog lights. If you do not have a foglight mounting hole you have to drikll a hole and install blind nuts.
Please review the email s I sent you.

The rubber bumper tops have short studs sticking out. Unless you bought some used ones that the PO broke off the studs?? Thehyoyu will have to drill and install screws to secure them to the bumper.
Also if you do find the studs in the rubber bumper tops. Try using plastic or nylon nuts, they will not rust to the stud and you can easily remove in the future if needed.
CCL
mattp
thanks for email and reply, I have bumper tops with studs, and like the idea of plastic nuts, no rust!
Got the email, sent you one back .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.