Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
I'm taking my rear brake pads out which I had done and was in the process of pushing back the pistons while turning the adjusters. I guess I turned the inner one a little too much because it came all the way out which I discovered when I removed the hex and the adjuster was still attached. Problem, or do I just put it back in?

Also, I'm using a flat piece of metal to press back the pistons, but they don't seem to want to go back all of the way. Any tips? I'm afraid to keep pressing on them and damaging something.
McMark
The rear adjuster comes out. Nothing holds it in. No problem there.

The rear inner pistons must be 'pushed' back by using the adjuster. You can just force them back. Slide the adjuster back into place and turn it like you are 'unscrewing' it (counter-clockwise). That will drag the piston back into the caliper. If the piston is sticky, you might have to press on it as well as turn the adjuster.

Also watch your brake fluid level in the reservoir, because retracting the pistons will displace fluid and you can overflow.
jgara962
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 24 2008, 12:21 PM) *

The rear adjuster comes out. Nothing holds it in. No problem there.

The rear inner pistons must be 'pushed' back by using the adjuster. You can just force them back. Slide the adjuster back into place and turn it like you are 'unscrewing' it (counter-clockwise). That will drag the piston back into the caliper. If the piston is sticky, you might have to press on it as well as turn the adjuster.

Also watch your brake fluid level in the reservoir, because retracting the pistons will displace fluid and you can overflow.

I'm unscrewing it and pushing, but it doesn't seem to want to go back any further? Maybe it's time to just show it who's boss! biggrin.gif
McMark
The mechanism that the adjuster screws into (think nut) is only held into the caliper piston by spring tension. If the piston gets stuck, it is possible to accidentally pop the mechanism out of the piston. If that were the case you could have unscrewed the mechanism down flush to the caliper body. If the adjuster stops turning, don't force it. If the mechanism did pop out, that means that the piston is free to move and simply using force should retract it more. And finally, the mechanism can be popped back into place by holding the piston firm and screwing in the adjuster until it pops back in.

Check the classic threads area for some documents on rebuild rear calipers as well as images of caliper parts. wink.gif
McMark
Are you using a c-clamp to press the piston?
jgara962
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 24 2008, 12:59 PM) *

Are you using a c-clamp to press the piston?

No, a 2" wide flat metal bar
davep
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 24 2008, 12:50 PM) *

Maybe it's time to just show it who's boss! biggrin.gif

It just shows you don't know what you are doing. You should look up previous threads on how these are rebuilt so you can understand how everything functions. If you have to force it, then there is something very wrong.
jgara962
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 24 2008, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 24 2008, 12:50 PM) *

Maybe it's time to just show it who's boss! biggrin.gif

It just shows you don't know what you are doing. You should look up previous threads on how these are rebuilt so you can understand how everything functions. If you have to force it, then there is something very wrong.

It was a joke - note the smiley face.

It's handled wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.