Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First video of Portland's new track layout
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
drgchapman
Had a great time today. Track started out very wet and dried as the day progressed. This video is of my last run, track is dry. The chicane wasn't in effect today, so the speeds at the end of the front straight were very high. My car was topping out at ~120mph. The 915 and 16"wheels with the Hoosiers.....no top end. Car ran perfect other wise. I tried to stay out of the red line, got a whole season to go........Drove it home.

JP came out and said hi, I cooked him a burger for lunch and we discussed our up coming autocross season and the finer points of suspension geometry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFyVJg3Wm8s

championgt1
Nice video. Your car sounds great!! driving.gif
race914
Great video!

How does the new layout compare?
mudfoot76
Sweet video!!

And thank you for not laying some crappy music track over the top of it so we could enjoy the sounds of that 3.2L smilie_pokal.gif
drgchapman
QUOTE(race914 @ Feb 25 2008, 10:21 AM) *

Great video!

How does the new layout compare?

Sunday's track configuration was without the Chicane. Normally there is a chicane in the front straight to slow down terminal velocity into the first big right hander. The new additions are reconfiguration of turns 5,6,7 and 9,10,11. This added a couple of tenths to the length to bring it up to just over 2 miles in length.
With the chicane, it adds about 10 seconds to a lap time.

The video was shot with a new "Flip" video camera. It has 30 minutes of internal memory, a USB connector on the side. Very small and easy to use. I just downloaded each session and I was ready to go for the next one. Resolution appears adequate. They can be had for about 100 bucks. No moving parts.
championgt1
I know that ALMS is no longer coming there and that Champcar, Portlands other big race series has now folded does not meen that Portlands track will go away. I would hate to see it turned into an apartment complex. sad.gif
drgchapman
PIR management posted my lapping video on the official PIR website!
J P Stein
Heh......the only 914 at the event, who'da thunk it. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
PIR management posted my lapping video on the official PIR website!

Sweet
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Feb 25 2008, 11:08 AM) *

I know that ALMS is no longer coming there and that Champcar, Portlands other big race series has now folded does not meen that Portlands track will go away. I would hate to see it turned into an apartment complex. sad.gif

I was reading on things like this that many tracks don't make as much as you would think because of these events. They have to spend so much to prepare for them that it is a wash. They make more from having many smaller events and lapping days. I think PIR will do fine.
J P Stein
PIR is a city owned park, the developers are after it and they are a sly bunch. They damn near had their way last year.
CART & ALMS bring money to the whole city. Without that "pull" provided by another bunch of businesses that profit from this, the developers will win. A "real life" civics lesson.....free of charge. shades.gif
PeeGreen 914
Did you mean economics lesson? From that point I could understand how the park could go bye bye.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 25 2008, 07:05 PM) *

Did you mean economics lesson? From that point I could understand how the park could go bye bye.

When politics & money mix, it's civics.....the politicians would have to be "convinced" to sell public land.....for the publics good, of course.
Lou W
Thanks for the ride. smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 25 2008, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 25 2008, 07:05 PM) *

When politics & money mix, it's civics.....the politicians would have to be "convinced" to sell public land.....for the publics good, of course.

Yeah... I just hope there are enough people that would rally together to prevent that from happening. There isn't enough places for us here in the NW to do stuff like this. Still looking to come to a Pacwood event in the near future.
J P Stein
Orygun Region SCCA has a practice day May 17 (run till ya puke) and an event on May 18, both at Packwood.
6freak
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 26 2008, 06:28 PM) *

Orygun Region SCCA has a practice day May 17 (run till ya puke) and an event on May 18, both at Packwood.

I`ll be at PIR 5-18 track day and packwood.the new surface looks nice ! cant wait ...the old track was nice also why did they change it??this will be my 3rd track day down there driving.gif w00t.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(6freak @ Apr 15 2008, 09:11 AM) *

I`ll be at PIR 5-18 track day and packwood.the new surface looks nice ! cant wait ...the old track was nice also why did they change it??this will be my 3rd track day down there driving.gif w00t.gif

The track was lengthened to just over 2 miles and repaved for smoothness, both to accommodate CART......5-6 mil cost for that bit.......which then took a dump and IRL/Chumpcar canceled the PIR event.
SirAndy
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Feb 24 2008, 07:30 PM) *

you got that video in another format? mpg? avi? if so, i'd like to post it in our video section ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
drgchapman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 16 2008, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Feb 24 2008, 07:30 PM) *

you got that video in another format? mpg? avi? if so, i'd like to post it in our video section ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Yes, mpeg I think. How do I get it to you?
SirAndy
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Apr 16 2008, 10:40 AM) *

Yes, mpeg I think. How do I get it to you?

i'll PM you the FTP info later ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.