Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ash Trays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
OK, I tried this in one of the nailed topics but got zero responses, so I'll try it here.

I always thought that all 914 ash trays were the same - wrong! Somewhere along the line they changed.

I have my original 72 as my basis point, and a ? that I bought from eBay (nice, but totally different.

Can we get pics of every model year ash tray? Want to find out when they changed. Don't car if it's ugly or pristine - just take a pic & post it.

Pat
jonferns
Heres mine, its off of a '74.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Feb 26 2008, 04:05 PM) *

Good show Jon!

Notice that there are 2 screws holding the umm "squash tray" (for lack of a better term) to the unit - same as a 72. They apparently were replaced by a tack weld on later versions (could be early versions, because no one with a pre '72 has piped in here).

Jon, is the "vinyl" forward edge of yours pliable? By that, I mean can you dent it with a fingernail?

The one I have that has never been used has significantly different characrteristics, primarly in that the forward edge is hard plastic.

Need more info guys!

Why do I make an issue of a lowly ash tray? Because they are on eBay every week & originality folks need to know the right questions to ask. Yeppir, you can pick them up cheaply, but if they're wrong for your CW 914 you'll just have to re-sell them, as I will need to do with the "non-smoker" unit that I bought.

Let's just get them registered here. How about it post-74 people - any pics of your tray?
Pat
jonferns
Pat, the front of my ashtray is pliable. Looks like it was never used, inside is very clean, just a bit discolored from age.
John
If the face is plastic, I would guess that it is from a later 1975-1976 car. It appears that lots of interior parts became plastic in the later years.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(John @ Feb 27 2008, 08:29 PM) *

If the face is plastic, I would guess that it is from a later 1975-1976 car. It appears that lots of interior parts became plastic in the later years.

That's what I thought, but there are more differences. Placement of rivets, welds instead of rivets, lack of screws, etc.

That's why I want to see everything!
Pat
dyw914
Here's mine from a 75. The front is welded instead of screws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.